Home | Community | Message Board

BarneysFarm.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Shop: Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: twighead]
    #12601791 - 05/21/10 01:50 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

some day...
lol

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleechoesSG
Dancing Echoes
Male

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: P-O]
    #12601842 - 05/21/10 02:07 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I think the real danger is that all life seams to randomly mutate between generations, when self replicating microorganisms do this. I can imagine it being in completely unpredictable and perhaps dangerous ways... Imagine these lifeforms adapt to feeding on a very abundant food source that makes it extremely easy to spread clear across the planet...That food source is of course, human.:shitfan:

OfflineCutter
other side guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oh Yeah land
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: echoesSG]
    #12601953 - 05/21/10 02:45 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

This is a great breakthrough in biology, this will have a great potential as a environment cleaner and a fuel.

As far as the doomsday crowd goes, we will all be swallowed up by the black hole the Large Hadron Collider is going to produce December 21 2012 long before a synthetic life form will take us out.

But I am concerned about the patent side of things, I was pretty upset when they started patenting genome sequences because it will prevent everyone but the patent owners from creating cures for cancers and life threatening illness, and there are a lot of people that just squat on patents in hope that someone pays them millions for it, but in reality if there is a patent on it most companies wont even look at it, because they don't want to invest R&D into something that cannot sell.

I fear the same for synthetic life forms.

I was going to try and patent the human left arm and make everyone with a left arm pay me royalties to prove a point, but the patent office just laughed.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: Cutter]
    #12601961 - 05/21/10 02:48 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

patent squatters should be put to death, publicly and brutally

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Offlinelost in Ummagumma
Thinker of Thoughts
Female

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: laserpig]
    #12602247 - 05/21/10 04:52 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elementswrath said:
Quote:

wowcoolman said:
lol god didn't create us if anythang this proves that god didn't create us. scientists did :craven:

maybe science is god.:yesnod:

:awehigh:

--------------------

Synchronicity is an ever present reality
for those who have eyes to see.

Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness
without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.

OfflinePsychedelicSpirit
Hood Metal
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: lost in Ummagumma]
    #12602260 - 05/21/10 04:55 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

EVERYTHING is God (if that's what you want to call it).

Edited by PsychedelicSpirit (05/21/10 04:56 AM)

Invisiblemt.eden
shroomaniac

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: echoesSG]
    #12602275 - 05/21/10 05:04 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

echoesSG said:
I think the real danger is that all life seams to randomly mutate between generations, when self replicating microorganisms do this. I can imagine it being in completely unpredictable and perhaps dangerous ways... Imagine these lifeforms adapt to feeding on a very abundant food source that makes it extremely easy to spread clear across the planet...That food source is of course, human.:shitfan:

Why  not chickens there are 6 times as many chickens then there are people.

--------------------
rr is my hero

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: mt.eden]
    #12602295 - 05/21/10 05:15 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

im sure they have been creating viruses to poison society for decades.  The part that saddens me the most however, is that there is a chance that there are messages inside our own DNA already, for example if we ourselves were created.

Now that we have the technology to alter DNA, and we are doing so, this effectively renders any messages we find down the road in our own DNA useless as it could have been planted.  Infact this could be used for a MAJOR shift in religion/culture if a well placed and well worded message is "found".

But ontop of that, whenever fucking with DNA, its always a bad bad thing.  We are just now starting to see some of the effects of GMO's

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #12602344 - 05/21/10 05:35 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
We are just now starting to see some of the effects of GMO's

Oh, and these are? I would prefer to eat GM food than poison drenched non-GM food any day.

GM is our only possible way to continue our advancement without killing ourselves and the planet around us.

Popular opinion should be totally fucking ignored in the case of GM, under-educated over-opinionated chicken-shit pussies should have no opinion in these matters.

Edit: No insult intended, i just really hate these people who freak-out about GM and have absolutely no idea how it works and have no idea that genetic engineering has been a part of this planet since the dawn of life (~3.5gA). I bet you didn't know that random gene swapping has occurred between all living organisms for billions of years. Many prokaryotes (bacteria) predominantly depend on viruses to modify their genome to evolve (google: temperate phages for just one example). GM microbes are cultured to be entirely dependent on selective media, there is practically no possibility of them 'escaping' as they will simply die.

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

Edited by scruffymafia (05/21/10 05:48 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: scruffymafia]
    #12602387 - 05/21/10 05:57 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Uh GM could be exactly what kills us for starters.

Secondly the way we advance as a society is to realize our planet has limits, which means we need to set limits...otherwise we are no better than a common cancer/plague/virus.  That is what a smart species does.

Lastly, you do realize that those GM foods your talking about in some cases will actually result in more poisons being sprayed on them.  They are being designed to be "resistant" to pesticides/herbicides, obviously thats so that they can spray more on them.

They have also designed some plants to produce there own poisons so they don't have to spray them.

as for the side effects, im signed up to an organic newsletter/organization that informs people about anything and everything related to monsanto, GMO's, and organic topics.  I get an email from them at least once a month, so i can't remember the details, and would take me a while to tract down the newsletter (i do save them all tho).

Im pretty sure that in most cases the GMO's have been shown to have less nutrients, the promises of increased crops has pretty much failed, and in alot of cases caused monsanto to be sued over this.  GMO's are also ruining our pure/organic genetics by spreading the GMO pollens across our lands...the damage GMO's can cause will essentially never be able to be wiped out now, as the genetics will forever be altered.  There's more that im missing infact some of the most important parts, but i can't comment on those until i find the link

And interestingly, an organic farmers land was pollenated by another farmer using GMO's, and Monsanto got all pissed off and wanted money from the organic farmer and sued them.  When in reality its the organic farmer that should be sueing them.

P.S. you can take your chicken-shit pussy comments somewhere else.

--------------------

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

#12602410 - 05/21/10 06:19 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

You obviously have no idea how GM works. You are just buying into all the lies that you have been fed.

While i totally appreciate these corporations are being total scum-fucks, they are always gonna monopolize something.

So a so called 'smart' species is that which never tries to advance and just lives a safe mediocre existence? Thats retarded, all species are inherently designed to take advantage of any opportunity. How are we meant to discover these limits huh? We are gonna need to do some serious damage before our population dynamics takes a serious change. We are gonna fuck our planet before anything changes, but what we have before us now is the opportunity to undo and reverse ANY AND ALL damage we are currently and will be imposing in future on our planet (bar geographics to some extent). We have the opportunity to safely support our technological growth and the continuation of a healthy biosphere into the future when new technologies may enable us to colonize other planets and finally leave earth to its own devices.

But you would prefer to live like stoned-sheep and revert to the medieval and live a simple life and accept any fate that comes?

The whole point behind GM is to rid the need to for any kind of chemical mediators. "Hey, lets spend millions of dollars engineering plants so we spray more shit on them, we know how much farmers love spraying their crops" :facepalm:

They aren't 'poisons' either for fucks sake. They just splice in one of a few genes from other plant species that create totally biodegradable proteins that are selective for certain invertebrates or pathogens. The whole remaining spectrum of the genome is completely unaffected, so what you say about them being less nutritious is fucking bullshit. If it is true then it is fucking retarded, remember the whole world isnt america.

The unfounded lies you have been fed are hideously retarded and fits perfectly into my "under-educated over-opinionated chicken-shit pussies" category perfectly.

--------------------

When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmi... Flag
    #12602417 - 05/21/10 06:23 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scruffymafia said:
You obviously have no idea how GM works. You are just buying into all the lies that you have been fed.

While i totally appreciate these corporations are being total scum-fucks, they are always gonna monopolize something.

So a so called 'smart' species is that which never tries to advance and just lives a safe mediocre existence? Thats retarded, all species are inherently designed to take advantage of any opportunity. How are we meant to discover these limits huh? We are gonna need to do some serious damage before our population dynamics takes a serious change. We are gonna fuck our planet before anything changes, but what we have before us now is the opportunity to undo and reverse ANY AND ALL damage we are currently and will be imposing in future on our planet (bar geographics to some extent). We have the opportunity to safely support our technological growth and the continuation of a healthy biosphere into the future when new technologies may enable us to colonize other planets and finally leave earth to its own devices.

But you would prefer to live like stoned-sheep and revert to the medieval and live a simple life and accept any fate that comes?

The whole point behind GM is to rid the need to for any kind of chemical mediators. "Hey, lets spend millions of dollars engineering plants so we spray more shit on them, we know how much farmers love spraying their crops" :facepalm:

They aren't 'poisons' either for fucks sake. They just splice in one of a few genes from other plant species that create totally biodegradable proteins that are selective for certain invertebrates or pathogens. The whole remaining spectrum of the genome is completely unaffected, so what you say about them being less nutritious is fucking bullshit. If it is true then it is fucking retarded, remember the whole world isnt america.

The unfounded lies you have been fed are hideously retarded and fits perfectly into my "under-educated over-opinionated chicken-shit pussies" category perfectly.

--------------------

¿Check out some art m8?

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12602433 - 05/21/10 06:34 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

but where are you getting these idea's that this is all safe?

and where did i say we needed to revert to the stone age?  I said our planet has LIMITS, GMO is an attempt to overcome these limits but thats pure stupidity.  There's only so much resources, you can't make something out of NOTHING.

You can't pretend that messing with genetics will only lead to positive things that will only "enhance" our planet.

and yes they have designed plants that hold up better to pesticides/herbicides so im not sure what your facepalming about.

and if a plant creates a poison that kills or repels pests...it is none the less a poison that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

adding in a gene, means it could be taking up space that other genes would have been using.  My genetics is rusty but only a fool would think only positive things ever happen.

And yes i distictively remember reading that some tests that were done had shown that GMO's were less nutritious.  Of course im sure monsanto has 100 other tests that show otherwise.

Mother nature is smart, much smarter than we are.  Selective breeding is a much safer way of getting things done.

We havn't even scatched the surface of genetics, you can't just say its safe. And your crazy if you think all the shit there testing stays in a lab.

--------------------

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

#12602471 - 05/21/10 07:11 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Its not entirely safe, there are risks but they are minimal and it is simply our only feasible option. I am totally aware of what can theoretically happen, so are the scientists - they live on this planet too.. The simple fact is that practically all GM organisms have genetic countermeasures to stop them causing any problems.

You are comparing an entirely natural protein that only affects selected organisms to that of the incredibly toxic and carcinogenic synthetic petrochemical poisons we currently use?..

Yes we can 'make something out of nothing'. We can engineer microbes to do any host of things from creating foods and fuels from waste, sunlight into fuels, carbon fixing (using microbes to turn atmospheric CO2 into organic carbons) the list simply goes on forever..

The genome isnt fixed, it is not going to 'replace a gene'. You can create homologous populations by setting alleles, but that is more applicable to your breeding programs. Most genetic engineering is simply inserting a new gene, it has no effect on the other genes around it (depending on input location).

Selective breeding is stupid, it is so economically unfeasible - you are trying to get a specific trait from selecting randomly occurring phenotypes. You can create phenotypes far more accurately and quickly with GM, plus you wont have all the fucked alleles from inbreeding.

Selective breeding is much more dangerous than GM if you ask me, google mono-cultures.

We can create these breeds animal or plant and get these specific traits if we want by making homologues, in the mean time inadvertently removing many potentially incredibly important alleles from the gene pool by making them homologous for many other genes in the collateral wake of inbreeding. Creating genetically crippled organisms.

Or..

We can create these breeds of animal or plant that have an entirely healthy genome with a full spectrum of healthy alleles with genetic engineering which can stand up to practically any evolutionary challenge set upon them.

I would pick GE/GM over any other alternative any day.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: quinn]
    #12602480 - 05/21/10 07:18 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

quinn said:
when will i be able to put in my order for a fembot?

word

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleOzzy
TimeLord
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: deCypher]
    #12602649 - 05/21/10 08:48 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

incredible

InvisibleGumbyM
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: elementswrath]
    #12603849 - 05/21/10 02:30 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

elementswrath said:
i wish they could create a bacteria that sucks in carbon monoxide and separates it.
we could possibly back fire pollution and stimulate plant growth at the same time.

What in the jesus are you talking about? Separate carbon monoxide? Backfire pollution? That's just gibberish.

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

Loc: suiciety Flag
Re: Scientist Creates First Synthetic Life [Re: Gumby]
    #12606242 - 05/21/10 10:13 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, it's all propaganda...global warming is nothing but just a period of the sun coming slightly closer to earth and corporate banks support the pollution theory to create a carbon tax bill set for the new world order.:tinfoil:

it's really just a natural period that happened before like the medieval solar activity maximum.

or S.A.M as i like to call these progression periods.

Offlinevroomshroom
Stranger
    #12606290 - 05/21/10 10:23 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Wow the beginning of some pretty intense stuff.

Invisiblemt.eden
shroomaniac

#12606729 - 05/21/10 11:44 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

ummm... there is a theory it's not just global but it is universal. they think the ice on mars is melting. you should really read up on it.

--------------------
rr is my hero

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Shop: Black morel (Morchella importuna) live culture on agar, Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar

Community >> The Pub