Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMonkeyface
Ahhhh.....carp.

Loc: Seattle, WA
I lack self confidence!
    #1259478 - 01/29/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've been looking for wild shrooms off and on in the Seattle area for over 5 years now and have yet to make a positive mach for a "good" strain.

Frustration has led me to this forum and the purchase of a digital camera.

Tonight my dog went out in the back yard and threw up his rawhide chew toy right next to these...

Let's see...

a. Habitat (where and what does it grow on) - My yard in Seattle. Mostly moss, some grass and lots of dog poo mixed in.

b. Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc) - Dark brownish/purple, unattached, still waiting on spore print.

c. Measurements of cap and stem - Caps between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Stems around 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch.

d. Characteristics of the stem (color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc) - Light brown, spongy, solid, thin.

e. Characteristics of the cap (color, texture, concical/spherical, convex/concave, etc) - Dark to light brown, meaty, round/somewhat hat-like.

f. Spore print color (very important!) - The spores that rubbed off on my fingers looked pretty dark. Brown to black, but when the print is ready I'll update.

g. Color that the mushroom briuses - They are kind of dark, but I'll wait and see if they bruise.

h. Scent of mushroom - Mushroomy? Dank, wet, earthy.

These are probably the same kind of LBM's I've been seeing for years, but I thought I'd give this a shot. If anyone has any ideas, or tips for using a Coolpix 2000 for taking shroom pics, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"They that can give up general purpose computers for the sake of a little eye candy deserve neither computers nor eye candy"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: I lack self confidence! [Re: Monkeyface]
    #1259571 - 01/29/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As far as Cyans, your pics look somewhat close to young ones but your description doesn't match to well. You should find them in woodchips or within close proximity to woodchips. (I found a few this year in moss about four feet from the woodchips) The stems should be pure white, not light brown like you stated and they will bruise blue within a couple minutes of damage or picking. The cap should also have more waviness to it, young ones usually have a bowtie look turning into a wave later on.
Hope that helps
Later

--------------------

OfflineOJ
old hand
    #1259993 - 01/29/03 09:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i can tell you those are not p. cyanescens, also i can tell you they are not active..

good luck my mushroom hunting friend  :smile:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1260848 - 01/30/03 07:25 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Id have to say that they are Panaeolus foenisecii... inactive, but, in a mushroom genus with active mushrooms, so you're close. :smile:

Its a little late for cyanescens this time of year. Id guess you would probably want to be looking for stunzii. They grow in green healthy, nitrogen injected grass. Do a quick search for them here on the boards.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1261342 - 01/30/03 10:26 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you have found Panaeolus foenisecii

Keep on shroomin,
GG

Offlinecalishroomer
Looking For Lunatic In TheGrass!

Re: I lack self confidence! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1264093 - 01/31/03 03:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hey, with a name like "monkeyface", id lack self confidence too....HEHEH...just messin with ya,........

those are for sure,100% beond the shaddow of a reasonable dought mushrooms.

(there "Panaeolus foenisecii")

GeTtInG WaRmEr!!

--------------------
"The Lunatic Is In The Grass!!"

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #1264143 - 01/31/03 04:11 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As for taking digital photos...

When taking close-ups, I've found that this seems to worked the best....

1. Zoom all the way in to the mushroom and then physically move the camera to the correct length to get the whole shroom in the photo.

2. Take LOTS of photos. Sometimes I'll get a batch of Cyans home, shoot 30 photos of them and when loaded on the computer, my photos look horrible. I then usually erase the images, re-arrange the shrooms and lighting. Try some with the flash some without. Eventually you'll get some shots worthy of the shroomery forums.

3. Hold the camera extremely still. It's amazing how many photos I see in this forum with a slight blur due to movement during exposure.

4. Read your manual. Most cameras have special modes for close up and macro shots. THESE ARE CRITICAL.

I just looked at the specs for your camera and it looks like it has all the features needed for some great shots. Just keep practicing. I've had mine for over a year now and still am learning new tricks on it.

Offlinexanor
seeker
Loc: sweden
Re: I lack self confidence! [Re: @cro]
    #1280181 - 02/05/03 04:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

people in here really love mushrooms :wink: 

--------------------
with a hangover and still that black cloud hangin over me...

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1281963 - 02/05/03 02:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

first off, you couldn't have come to a better place IMO.

if i may make a recomendation, if you are looking for actives, get to know what actives grow in your area (cyanescens, stuntzii, etc come to mind.) then get to know the requirements, habbits, habitats, etc for each species you look for. this will be much more productive than trying to id random mushroms in the hope that one of them will be active.
if you are just interested in mushrooms in general, the approach is much broader, but you will still want to familiarize yourself with the general process of identification.

observe the rules and you will find theis to be one of the best (if not the best) mushrooms sites on the web.

good luck to you.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification