Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefiockthis
Stranger

Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: LayYouIn] * 1
    #6678339 - 03/16/07 09:07 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

LayYouIn said:
Quote:

dutchmushroom said:
and that mindset is going to be the downfall of mycology

nah. they'll either quit or gain some respect. im sure there's a lot of knowledgeable people here that started just because they wanted to get high.

That is definitely the truth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: fiockthis] * 1
    #6678360 - 03/16/07 09:12 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

you know, at the heart of it, i agree with a lot that's been said. For someone who's trying to get into mycology itself, kits are not the way to start out. It's best to get the right equipment and dive in headfirst.

However, people need to recognize there are people out there who have no connections for mushrooms but want to trip. Maybe these people don't want to have grows going all year, or just want to produce enough for a couple of trips. For these people a kit is great, an oz of shrooms costs btwn 50-100 dollars retail, so if they're able to produce that it's paid for itself.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: coda] * 1
    #6678400 - 03/16/07 09:24 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

Why even use a kit then?
Just make a small buy.
Same price as the kit.
And, no mush/cult involved, at all.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: agar] * 1
    #6678437 - 03/16/07 09:37 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Why even use a kit then?
Just make a small buy.
Same price as the kit.

i agree. $50 or even less and a few trips to the dollar store and you could have yourself a little grow. but it's like they say...

"ambition without knowledge is like a boat in the desert"

...if you dont read up a little bit, you wont get far.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: agar] * 1
    #6678483 - 03/16/07 09:53 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Why even use a kit then?
Just make a small buy.
Same price as the kit.

Quote:

coda said:
there are people out there who have no connections for mushrooms but want to trip.

Sometimes people just dont have that option man :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlineradmaximus
Stranger
Male

Loc: Illinois
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: coda] * 1
    #6679720 - 03/17/07 10:31 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Not everyone wants to become a scientist out of this or grow 10lbs at a time, some just want to grow some shrooms for there selves. Like the original poster, said he was going to be living with his grandma for awhile, he isn't possibly gonna be able to set up a science lab to do this, he just wants to try growin some mushies, would be a good way to start then if he wants to keep doin it, he could move up. Nothing wrong with either method in my humble opinion. Some people need to lighten up alittle me thinks. I'm already trying other methods, but we all gotta start somewhere, why does it really matter where?

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: radmaximus] * 1
    #6680062 - 03/17/07 12:27 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

i didn't mean to offend anyone or to piss anybody off. we all have opinions and i was simply stating mine,

peace out

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: dutchmushroom] * 1
    #6680108 - 03/17/07 12:42 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I have tried 3 or 4 kits over the years and I think that one may have actually been one of them yrs ago cause the name sure sounds familiar.

Not a single mushroom was ever produced by any of them until I found this place and did everything myself,I am sure that allot of it has to do with putting to good use the information I have learned and I bet if given the same kits today I could make them work but at the time when you receive a kit (With four crappy pages of instructions) and that is all the information you have to go on you will more than likely fail

I cant say all kits suck because I mean we all have a "Kit" don't we,even if we put it together ourself.I mean I could put together a setup with all anyone you need and sell it as a kit and providing the cultivator who bought it knew what they were doing I could pretty much guarantee it would produce

I feel like I should jump on the "?Just do it for yourself" bandwagon but I can see the appeal of having someone else do half the work for you.most of us here like the work and refer to it as (This hobby) if you get your kit you to work you  will want to improve on it and join us in (This hobby :assimilate: )

Good luck regardless what you do and keep on reading:thumbup:

OfflineJoker003
Lets put a Smile on that Face !
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: B1977] * 1
    #9115076 - 10/22/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

hey everyone, i was wondering about the homestead kit and wanted to kno if its worth the time and money. i want to start witht the kit because, once my mushrooms are fully develop, i want to get a spore print off of them and start a my on project... so plz let me kno whats the best way and method, thnx you !

--------------------
Lets put a Smile on that Face !

OfflineMesaman21
NooB Shroomer
Male

Loc: Surrey , United Kingdom
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: Joker003] * 1
    #9115275 - 10/22/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well personally for me living in the uk it is impossible to get hold of mushies over here and they are actually a class a drug so the only way is to grow them.

for me i just want to get a few trips out of it for me and some friends to enjoy, but on asking for advice you seem to be met with a lot of people not willing to talk to you because you have bought a kit. (with the exception of a few who have been really helpful)

I bought my kit when i saw it in a shop over here, only after buying it and the spores did i start looking into it and found you don't need it, from finding this information out i think i have found something i could get into. and if it wasn't for the grow kit i would never have got into it.

--------------------
Hey guys i am new to this shroom growing so please be nice :smile:

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #9115370 - 10/22/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Joker003 said:
i was wondering about the homestead kit and wanted to know if its worth the time and money.

All you had to do was read this thread to get a variety of opinions on that subject. This thread is over a year old and some people throw tizzy fits about posting to old threads.

That said, my opinion is that a kit would be a waste of money. Just buy a spore syringe and read up on the PF Tek. The PF Tek is the way to go for beginners, very very easy, and low cost.

Edited by Mad River (10/22/08 06:16 PM)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: Mad River] * 1
    #9115700 - 10/22/08 01:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I would order the kit and syringe separately though.  My first grow was on a kit and it wasn't bad.

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: radmaximus] * 1
    #9115882 - 10/22/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

radmaximus said:
Not everyone wants to become a scientist out of this or grow 10lbs at a time, some just want to grow some shrooms for there selves. Like the original poster, said he was going to be living with his grandma for awhile, he isn't possibly gonna be able to set up a science lab to do this, he just wants to try growin some mushies, would be a good way to start then if he wants to keep doin it, he could move up. Nothing wrong with either method in my humble opinion. Some people need to lighten up alittle me thinks. I'm already trying other methods, but we all gotta start somewhere, why does it really matter where?

i'm gonna laugh my ass off when there's a news story posted on the front pages stating "a young man growing shrooms got his grandma's house confiscated by the DEA"...

And i agree with the dude who said mycology is going downhill because of people who want to grow mushrooms just becaue they can produce their own high...  It's funny, I was far more into taking mushies for tripping purposes before i got into cultivation.  I was mostly picking lots of cyanescens...  I grew oysters, shiitakes, lions manes (kind of, hehehe, i fucked up on something real stupid towards the end, i'll get them to fruit next time...), and black poplars before i even tried cubes, and when i finally did, it was more for the process than the product.  I went from MS on agar to isolated strain to LC to noccing jars and comparing strains...  And it was just because that's what i had spores of at the moment (everything else i have in LC syringes...).  Fuck the kits man, do a little research on the matter to find out if its something you'll actually be into, then buy yourself a cheap pressure cooker, and start off simple, either PF or rye grains (i personally started on rye grains, didn't try PF until i got to the cubes because i wanted something that would go fast, just wanted to compare strains really...)

You'll spend far less money, and come away with SO much more knowledge if you start from scratch instead of going with a kit.  What are you going to do once that kit is spent?  spend another $120?

--------------------
[url=http:

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
    #9116315 - 10/22/08 03:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Joker003 said:
hey everyone, i was wondering about the homestead kit and wanted to kno if its worth the time and money. i want to start witht the kit because, once my mushrooms are fully develop, i want to get a spore print off of them and start a my on project... so plz let me kno whats the best way and method, thnx you !

Seriously, you can go to walmart and home depot and spend less money than on the kit and have the equipment to continue on in this hobby.
If you buy the kit, you still need to buy the FC and other stuff.
I made the mistake of buying a kit to get started and just before the entire thing was colonized, it got the dreaded trich. So all that time was wasted. I got my money back for the kit and went out and bought everything I needed and did it all from scratch and am much happier now.
Spend wisely and you will reap much better rewards.
:2cents:

OfflineAdaria
Stranger
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: creekfreek] * 1
    #11186918 - 10/05/09 01:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I was happy to read through these replies on this topic. I was looking into getting this kit for my first time, due to the fact I don't want a big yield the first time around and things are kind of hectic right now. Also, I want to read up more on the technique before I jump into it. I've read a lot so far, but I'd like the simplest method I can get, sans pressure cooker preferred, because anything too complicated would not be a good thing.

No, no, I'm not trying to be lazy, but for me, it's hard to do some things that require a good set of eyes. See, I'm half-blind and not too well off in the one eye I do have working. I'd rather not mess with a peassure cooker to start [they have always freaked me out, dont' ask me why, no clue really...] but I'm willing to learn, I just want to read up more on it before I attempt it and get familiar with the technique in theory before I give it a shot. It'd be nice if I could find a friend to do it with, but alas the one who would be itnerested in it is states away.

It was good to see the reviews of this kit and I agree, highly overpriced from the sound of it, but it might be a good way to start out, at least for me. I'll honeslty admit, I hate mushrooms, you know the normal variety. Never have liked their texture. I guess that's kind of contradictory that I like the non-normal variety... but there ya go. I will say that in the bit of reseach I've done, I have gained a respect for shrooms as a whole. They're acutlaly pretty cool, as long as I don't have to eat them [in reference to normal edible variety not the trippy kind] and I do find it pretty fascinating.

It boggles me why sterlization is such a key and yet in the wild they grow in normal cow dung. I just find it fascinating as hell and wonder why it works that way.

Anywho, I realize this is an older topic, but I wanted to share that this has been a good help to me reading through the discussions and opinions. It's very valuable to know that things have changed for the better in the past ten years or so too.

~Ada

Offlinefreqazoidiac
chakra khan

Loc: deep within the carolinia...
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: Adaria] * 1
    #11516371 - 11/24/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My first experience with growing P.Cubensis, was the good ol kit, by Homestead featured at the back of some magazine. 4lbs of goodness contained, with spores in plain white envelope, and the blue guide with crappy illustrations. The whole thing worked like a charm, but as a side note, I had the Mushroom growers guide by Mckenna and the Mushroom Growers guide (stamets) on hand during the process in 1996-97. I threw out the birdseed included (a  pitiful amount) and purchased a larger supply of Agar and the nicest Pressure cooker i could find for under $200. The whole process was practical and while using petri dishes and agar medium, which is considered the harder method, it is exacting and you can cultivate the stronger strain this method, by selecting the most vigourous mycelium and innoculating jars or bags..ect. It took me 3 tries from the same envelope of spores from Homestead, but they worked, it was my fault of introducing contaminents into the process the first 2 times. I upgraded to a Hepa filter and it solved a simple problem. (they were a bit pricey then)Now I can choose what method i wish to grow with..and a side note, I bought PFtek styled syringes 2 times after, and the darn water was contaminated and or the spores were bad/duds/inert, as I nothing suitable came of the syringes I bought. I think i just had bad luck..but the experiences and time took pays off if you are true to the knowledge, no need to rush a mush!

--------------------
• L iving
• S till
• D reaming

Offlinetbeoe
Stranger
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: freqazoidiac] * 1
    #12354761 - 04/08/10 11:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

OK.  In the 90's I purchased the "kit" and went through all the nightmarish steps of pressure cooking everything, using the alcohol wipes to flame my loop, ect... Constantly fighting with competitor molds at every step, and ending up with a potent but low harvest.  Now, having said that...I tried it again in the 2000's, and they have changed the whole thing.  NOW, they send you everything already sterilized, and in such a way that you would have to, almost purposely, be an incompetent fool or an extremely dirty person to screw the thing up. 
Of course you can always expand on what the kit provides to test it on a larger scale, but that would reintroduce the need for the pressure cooker, et al.

Good luck.

Offlineshade12435
 User Gallery

Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: LayYouIn] * 1
    #12587916 - 05/18/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I just did it from scratch rather than buying a kit.  Did it on the cheap and managed to grow around 1 dry oz on my first attempt. Good old PF tek.

OfflineBahaga
I heard it on Wednesday...
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: homestead EZ grow mushroom kit [Re: shade12435] * 1
    #12588052 - 05/18/10 07:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just get starting reading my friend, you will get hooked.  I read for months before i even started a grow. Its all really intersting and when you make your own stuff from raw materials instead of buying a kit, it feels that much better.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder