Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNyawinge
Male

Loc: Flag
Drying under a Halogen Lamp
    #12391993 - 04/14/10 02:59 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Has anyone done this before and found it to reduce potency at all? It doesn't release nearly as much heat as using a food dehydrator (I have a friend who uses this method) but I'm concerned that the light could be causing the actives to degrade. However, all the threads related to this topic only mentioned prolonged exposure to sunlight as a cause of potency loss, and the items in question are only exposed to the light for around 5-7 hours spread out over a 36-48 hour period. Would light from a 100-watt T3 halogen bulb have the same effect as sunlight?

Pictures of the results from this method (does a very good job of drying in a short amount of time):

--------------------
\

Edited by Nyawinge (04/14/10 03:09 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebchunter
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Right Behind You
Re: Drying under a Halogen Lamp [Re: Nyawinge]
    #12392055 - 04/14/10 03:08 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Those things look fried, too much heat destroys psilocybin

OfflineNyawinge
Male

Re: Drying under a Halogen Lamp [Re: bchunter]
    #12392081 - 04/14/10 03:12 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

If you're talking about the ones in the second pic being so blackened looking, it's because they dumped spores for almost 4 days straight before finally settling down enough to harvest. Like I said, the amount of heat involved in this method is less than when using a dehydrator.

--------------------
\

Offlinebchunter
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Right Behind You
    #12392136 - 04/14/10 03:19 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Well if there not burnt then they look like they would snap like a twig so it looks like it did a good
job of drying them out. I cant see there been a problem if you did it with low heat :shrug:

OfflineNyawinge
Male

Re: Drying under a Halogen Lamp [Re: bchunter]
    #12409294 - 04/17/10 04:14 PM (11 years, 8 days ago)

*(polite bump)*

Has anybody had any sort of experience (good or bad) with this drying technique? Can't find much info either on the forums or the net at large...

--------------------
\

Invisiblemyco.alchemist
been there ~ done that

Trusted Cultivator
    #12409419 - 04/17/10 04:46 PM (11 years, 8 days ago)

Never used a light, except to dehumidify & slightly heat ambiant air.

Always used a dehydrator @ 90 / 95F.
Never failed me in near 20 years.
Slightly warm moving air is the best method I know of.
Besides mushrooms, it works well for thin sliced fruits, veggies... as well as nuts & herbs.

Post your results, when you bio-test them.
I am curious what the results of a bio-test would be.

--------------------
CASING = GETTING IT RIGHT

OfflineNyawinge
Male

UPDATE: Bio-Test [Re: myco.alchemist]
    #12578111 - 05/17/10 11:59 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

So, I finally got around to a bio-test. They are less potent than expected, but I only ate about 0.6g. Never really "broke through" completely, but I definitely had some good mental stuff and minor CEV's. I was at a good friend's 21st birthday party though, and with the drinking and smoking and everything else that was going on it was a pretty distracting environment. Next time I will probably go on a hike with my girlfriend and chill in the woods for an afternoon. There are 3.2g left, so I will update again once a higher dosage test has been administered. 

Without a control group that has been dried via a different method, I can't assess whether the light itself causes a variance in potency. On round 2 I will try drying the same fresh species with desiccant, the fan method, and my halogen method to directly compare the results.

--------------------
\

InvisibleSomeNewGuy
Sir

Re: UPDATE: Bio-Test [Re: Nyawinge]
    #12583319 - 05/18/10 03:20 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Prety much I have a ziplock bag attached to the back of my PC. Wrap fruits in a napkin, place in the bag.  The side of the bag facing the fan of the power supply has the hole, a 3"x3" square, and I leave the top open. Its power-smart :thumbup:

--------------------
Looking for Oyster and Ps. Cyan. Trade. PM me

Edited by SomeNewGuy (05/18/10 03:20 AM)

OfflineMad Hatter 2010
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down some rabbit hole. Flag
Re: UPDATE: Bio-Test [Re: SomeNewGuy]
    #12583451 - 05/18/10 04:00 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Way back before I started growing me and my buddies used to go field picking at some fields we found that used to be listed on jug-or-not.com a.k.a. the North Florida Shroom Guide....I had a nightstand dresser that I hung a halogen/heat lamp in and used a box fan to dry with....couldn't tell you if there was a loss in potency...but I can say this...I have eaten a full half ounce of hand picked and dried field shrooms and tripped pretty good,but I have also eaten about an eighth of Amazonian aborts and mature shrooms (mixed bag) that I grew and tripped my fucking ass off...seriously started having a bad trip...I was hearing things that were not there.

When I started growing (somewhere round '03 to '05) I used a combo of fan drying and desiccant chambers....now that I am about ready to start up again and jumping from PF cakes and PF casings to bulk in a monotub I am thinking about a temperature regulated food dehydrator(s) or building a drying box using one of my extra inline centrifugal fans from my mj grow and taking a large rubbermaid or sterelite tub placing 3-4 layers of screen racks in it.

Basically something similar to a B.C. drying box minus the carbon filter.Then moving the screen racks of fan dried shrooms to a tub based around the same idea,minus the fan,with desiccant in the bottom of the tub...this second tub would be for ensuring a perfect cracker dryness for storage.

Edited by Mad Hatter 2010 (05/18/10 04:05 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation