Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemindXplorer
mind xplorer

Getting started on B+
    #1256319 - 01/28/03 05:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hi!,

I just ordered my first strain ever, B+.

This is my first time to ever grow shrooms and I am still looking for the best method. Which do you think I should try for the first time. I want good yields but I also want it to be semi-easy and dont want to spray the shrooms for humiditiy everyday. Choices...

1) Using Reynolds Oven Bags for "myco-bags" with a mixture of vermiculite and brown rice flour for the substrate. Sterilize by puting in the oven at 250C for 30min. If i choose this method do I need water to add to the substrate? Also do I not need to open the bags until harvest just like the myco-bags? I could add a filter tube in the top of the bag just like a filter patch. Would this work?

2) Pasteuring straw at 170F to kill off harmful bacteria but keep helful bacteria. When fruiting with this method does it need to be enclosed? Do I need to adjust humidity and add heat?

3) Good old fashioned PK-Tek using caning jars. This seems more work than the bag method because of the pressure cooking. Also Ive read that yields arent very good because the cakes are so small compared to a large bin of straw or a bag of substrate.

Which would be the best for a begginer like me? I want good yields and good shrooms. I have never tripped on shrooms before and It really seems like a wonderful drug.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Getting started on B+ [Re: mindXplorer]
    #1256339 - 01/28/03 05:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

and dont want to spray the shrooms for humiditiy everyday. >>>Too bad that is needed.  Besides I enjoy misting casings or whatnot and spening a little time with the fun guys.

1) Using Reynolds Oven Bags for "myco-bags" with a mixture of vermiculite and brown rice flour for the substrate. Sterilize by puting in the oven at 250C for 30min. If i choose this method do I need water to add to the substrate? Also do I not need to open the bags until harvest just like the myco-bags? I could add a filter tube in the top of the bag just like a filter patch. Would this work? >>>>>You need air exchange so you must take the substrate out of the bag sooner or later and Im not sure if you will have to add water.

2) Pasteuring straw at 170F to kill off harmful bacteria but keep helful bacteria. When fruiting with this method does it need to be enclosed? Do I need to adjust humidity and add heat?  >>>>> Lets start small first you still have lots to learn.  And you cant innoculate pastuerized straw with spores.

3) Good old fashioned PK-Tek using caning jars. This seems more work than the bag method because of the pressure cooking. Also Ive read that yields arent very good because the cakes are so small compared to a large bin of straw or a bag of substrate. >>>>>  You should do this one first to develop and understanding of the life cycle.

Which would be the best for a begginer like me? I want good yields and good shrooms. I have never tripped on shrooms before and It really seems like a wonderful drug. >>>>>> Drug??  :mad:  Well I guess it is true and false, depends on how you look at it  :frown:...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: Getting started on B+ [Re: SixCee]
    #1256398 - 01/28/03 06:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

go out and buy an 8th first to make sure you actualy like shrooms....believe me no matter how much you read on this wonderful substance, nothing can explain the effects better than actually experiancing them...it would suck to go through all the trouble of growing, then finding out that you hate shrooms

but if you decide to start...go with the Pf-tek and add on some advice from this forum like the pf double case tek

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1256445 - 01/28/03 06:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

3) Good old fashioned PK-Tek using caning jars. This seems more work than the bag method because of the pressure cooking.

Don't worry about pressure cooking. I've been using the steam sterilization method for awhile now and I've had absoloutly no problems. If you're using grains, then you'll need a pc.

I recommend that you aim lower for your first grow. Utilize this time to get to know the life cycle of the fungi. The knowledge you gain will be priceless during your next grows. Also, if you haven't tripped before, it would make more sense to aim for a lower yield.......you may not like the effects.

Good luck.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflinemindXplorer
mind xplorer

Re: Getting started on B+ [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1258272 - 01/29/03 11:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies.

I dont have the oppurtunity to get shrooms in my area (bad connections). Plus I would rather grow my own anyway. If I dont like shrooms atleast I will get the experience of growing fungi.

Magic shrooms is a drug. Though I hate how the media classify's "drugs", it does alter the mind, but i believe it can leave a positive experience. I like to explore different mind-altering drugs and see how they change the perspective of the human mind. Very interesting. I have many experiences with many different types of drugs so I am sure the mushroom trip will prove interesting. I may not "like" the actual trip, but Im sure it will become a positive learning experience at the least. Growing mushrooms is just a bonus for additional knowledge.

Your right everyone, I should start small. I will probably just do a small run using canning jars. Is it fun growing shrooms?

Opinions Welcome!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1258282 - 01/29/03 11:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Is it fun growing shrooms?

ahhh, uhh, no. it sucks. we are being forced to make this our passion/hobby and have been programmed to come to this forum and share our knowledge and experiences. this hobby is so unenjoyable and least of all, rewarding. HA! whatever,... this is a kick ass hobby that will teach you many things you never thought to learn. while shrooms are not addictive, the hobby of cultivating IS.

InvisibleWizzang
Deviant

#1432836 - 04/06/03 03:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

AFOAF has never experience the shroom either and is just starting, with B+ and some others too actually.  They think cultivating them will have more of a personal connection for the experience since they would know what went into making them.  And besides even if they aren't what's expected, there are people to trade oz for oz in ganja.  :wink:  Oh yeah, and connections to find them are a little scarce around here too.  Good luck, yo!   

--------------------
I was once a man I used to know
He changed into a man I have been
And became the man I am today

OfflineOKKuato
Amazon BasinRepresentative

Loc: A small planet in the esc...
Re: Getting started on B+ [Re: debianlinux]
    #1433433 - 04/06/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yes . . . the hobby is much more addictive than the shrooms. I've only been around for 6 months or so, and I'm hooked. I've stopped growing the magic kind, but keeping at other types of fungus. So much fun to watch the little guys grow.

Peace
OKKuato

Quote:

Quote:

Is it fun growing shrooms?

ahhh, uhh, no. it sucks. we are being forced to make this our passion/hobby and have been programmed to come to this forum and share our knowledge and experiences. this hobby is so unenjoyable and least of all, rewarding. HA! whatever,... this is a kick ass hobby that will teach you many things you never thought to learn. while shrooms are not addictive, the hobby of cultivating IS.

--------------------
Everybody knows what is going wrong with the world,
I don't even know what's going on . . . in myself.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation