Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChills420 version2
Poo Pie Maker

down side to big rubbermaid tubs?
    #1250597 - 01/26/03 02:30 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've started to have a air exchange problem with my small tanks and I'm thinking of going to big rubbermaid tubs.

I only use dung and straw is there any down side to these big tubs?

The main reason i'm wanting to switch is the bigger ones seem like you would hold more air and maybe correct this air problem i'm having.
Any thoughts?

--------------------

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Loc: ShowMeState
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: Chills420 version2]
    #1250921 - 01/26/03 04:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The biggest i could find are 40 Gal.The problem is air exchange.It will need even more then the smaller ones.You will start to see your fruits not growing as big and the caps will form points.When you pick them they will be very soft with brown slime.I can't remember the name but its a contam from not enough fresh air.Well its hard to push that much air with air pumps and cool mists are to much for casing.The best way to use large rubbermaids is a negative air pressure.Thats a nice way to call a vacuum cleaner hooked to a rubbermaid.Cut the top like you have seen before.Tape the clear plastic very well.Put a pvc pipe out one end,calk it and tape the outside with duck tape.The vacuum hose will pull down on the pvc so make sure it will hold.Now on the other side of the rubbermaid put some holes with polyfil.Now when the vacuum is on it will pull air in through the polyfil.If the air is to strong then put more intake holes.Im sure you will see the way this works.Just think of how many rubbermaids could be hooked to one vacuum.Then put it on a timer.Run it for 1or2 min. every 4to6 hours.That is the only way to stop the brown slime.Good luck.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: Starspawn]
    #1250936 - 01/26/03 04:53 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

That is the only way to stop the brown slime.

IS that the name for a super villian?  :shocked:

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: SixCee]
    #1250938 - 01/26/03 04:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yea i noticed alot of mutants with mine as well. but i use small 1gal rubbermaids for casings and just put seran wrap over top. worked fine for 1 cake but 2+ cakes kinda sucks as i think it needs alot more air exchanges which will in turn dryout the chamber and cause mutants :frown:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Anonymous

#1250984 - 01/26/03 05:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Air exchange Air Exchange Air Exchange

If your substrate with casing layer applied already is completely level with the hieght of your Rubbermaid, you will have VERY LITTLE TROUBLE with obtaining Uniform crops of well formed mushrooms.

If your substrate w/ casing layer is at a level significantly below the level of the top of the rubbermaid you will have to INCREASE your Air exchange to get the same uniformity in Mushroom developement.

A smaller rubbermaid that has a substrate/casing layer that is close to being level with the height of the container placed inside a larger rubbermaid is EASIER to FAN MANUALLY.

Poo Pie Maker

#1251196 - 01/26/03 06:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The biggest i could find are 40 Gal.The problem is air exchange.It will need even more then the smaller ones.You will start to see your fruits not growing as big and the caps will form points.When you pick them they will be very soft with brown slime.I can't remember the name but its a contam from not enough fresh air.Well its hard to push that much air with air pumps and cool mists are to much for casing.The best way to use large rubbermaids is a negative air pressure.Thats a nice way to call a vacuum cleaner hooked to a rubbermaid.Cut the top like you have seen before.Tape the clear plastic very well.Put a pvc pipe out one end,calk it and tape the outside with duck tape.The vacuum hose will pull down on the pvc so make sure it will hold.Now on the other side of the rubbermaid put some holes with polyfil.Now when the vacuum is on it will pull air in through the polyfil.If the air is to strong then put more intake holes.Im sure you will see the way this works.Just think of how many rubbermaids could be hooked to one vacuum.Then put it on a timer.Run it for 1or2 min. every 4to6 hours.That is the only way to stop the brown slime.Good luck.

I like this
I think i'll go hunt for a old vac.

--------------------

but Im not the only one,

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1251230 - 01/26/03 07:06 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think the best way is to have the air being pumped in rather than pulled out.So i use an aquarium bubbler with filters added to the air hose.That way all the little holes you have were the lid dosent seal 100% are having air pushed out of them.If you reverse the air and pull it from the container you are inviting contams to enter through any small air leaks.

So i preffer positive pressure to negative.

An air bubbler will do plenty of air exchange and is a lot quieter than a hover.

--------------------
er

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: G a n j a]
    #1251470 - 01/26/03 08:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I fan manually with my big tubs and sometimes don`t fan for a day or 2.
I dont think air exchange is as important as is believed.
I`ve grown many a uniform healthy flush with minimal air exchange.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1251488 - 01/26/03 08:47 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Teonan speaks fact. IMHO, a full 10 quart tray & air exchange will get you better flushes than a big tub, with seldom or little air exchange.

The big boys trays are always FULL UP & there is good reason.
6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: G a n j a]
    #1251654 - 01/26/03 10:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I think the best way is to have the air being pumped in rather than pulled out.So i use an aquarium bubbler

Anytime you are exchanging air, you are risking contams, unless you use good filteration teks.

I've posted the tek Ive used before, but here goes again:

Put the fish tank bubbler INSIDE the tub, down on the bottom, sitting on a lid or something to keep it just off of the perlite. The CO2 that you want to get rid of is heavier then air, so it hovers down at the bottom of the tub. The hose from the bubbler come up and out of a hole in the side of the tub. Because most tubs are not truely air-tight, the air doesnt seem to have a problem finding its way in (But neither might contams!) SO it is possible to make a ferw holes with polyfil filters in them to let air in.

The fishtank bubble sucks up air off of the bottom of the tub, and pushes it out through the hose. If one is industrious, one might be able to take that hose, and run in into another tub, where it goes into a tall jar with a bubbling stone, and that jar full of water with a bit of H2O2 in it. This will provide a bit of air exchange for a second tub as well. The H2O2 in that jar will replace a bit of the oxygen that is missing from the CO2, plus with this constant low-level circulation of air, that CO2 build up wont be nearly as bad. It will also help to humidify the second tub.

It is important to keep the bubble as low as possible in the first tub, but NOT in contact with the perlite, or any direct moisture...as most of the time, bubble intake is on the bottom, and you dont want it sucking up water and trying to pump the water out, and thus shorting out the bubbler, setting your mushrooms on fire, and then hacving to explain that to the firemen.....not to mention losing your shrooms.

Many of the fishtank bubblers are water-resistant, but when you buy one, try to make sure that it is somewhat water resistant.

OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: SixTango]
    #1256264 - 01/28/03 03:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry to re hash this thread but the picture 6T posted is worth a good look.Now back to the vacuum,not to knock on air bubbles and fish tank pumps but the amount of air exchange doesnt come close.If everything is done right then the only air pulled in will come through a filter.So to quote a true big boy "its toilet flush simple".

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1256922 - 01/28/03 08:12 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Today I was browsing an on-line auction site and I had myself like a rightious flash of inspiration.

Someone was selling a whole case of old (new/unused) gas mask filters....the kind that look like a metal can.

I thought to myself, wow, those are pretty cheap, and they are designed to keep out a lot of nasty evil things....and they could easily be fitted to a hole in the side or top of a rubbermaid type tub.

I would only bother going that rout if I found a nice big supply of new unused ones for really cheap.

But its the thought that counts...and maybe this idea will inspire more ideas and thoughts, and then like someday we can all.....oh fuck it, lets just get high dudes.

Poo Pie Maker

Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1256939 - 01/28/03 08:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm working on the vac system now.
I have got a rubbermaid sealed up and it held 15psi for 15 mins losing only 3 pounds to stop at 12psi
IMHO thats pretty damn good

My next thing is the plumbing on it. I've deside to use a small CPVC pipe that way it will give more pull thru a smaller lines.
I'm still pondering on the intake. I know it's going to be on top and prob be made from cpvc also.
I'm thinking of actually making a filter with 2-3" pvc and drilling a hole pattern thru it capping one end and reducing it down to fit on my intake pipe.
This is just something I'm playing with to see what I can come up with.
I'll prob spawn some dung with a older tank as not to waist untill I have a clue whats up.
I'm also adding shut off ball valve's on each tank.
This set up is going to only be 3 small tanks as to get a basic idea to add to.
I've found a few really cool tricks with setting this up. As soon as I get to do a few tests and finish making it I'll post some info.
Like I said i dunno if it's gona work.
I'm thinking of testing it by putting a cig in a ash tray inside each tank letting the tanks fill with the smoke then firing up the system to see how quick it pulls out the smoke.
Does this sound like a ok way to be testing it?

--------------------

but Im not the only one,

OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
    #1263825 - 01/30/03 11:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Use a small torch to melt holes in the rubbermaid.Also don't let the filter through the hole.I folded a screen with polyfil like a sandwich then duck taped it to the outside.Don't waste you time testing with smoke,4or5 nickle sized holes work the best but 1or2 bigger ones will work just as well.Don't forget to put tape around the bottom to keep the light out.One of the best things about this is how fast it starts to pin.I start the air exchange before casing.After 2 days case with coco fiber.Pins come 3 days after.This has worked every time.If you case before the air exchange then its 7to10 days until pinning starts.I don't know why this works but it can't be chance.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1265544 - 01/31/03 10:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If there are any electronic surplus stores around you. You can sometimes find these old 55 cfm type fans CHEAP (as in around $5).

On foot locker size tubs, you can cut a hole & bolt the fan right to the tub, over the hole. Simply place a peice of polyester spunbond material between the two, before bolting it on. You can find that sort of filter disk like fabric at FABRIC store for around $2 a yard.

The tub lids are not usualy air tight, so it will exhaust fine. If they are that tight, simply cut another SMALLR hole on the oppisite side - from the fan & cover it with filter material too.

On a timer, these work great, for automated filtered air exchange.

6T (aka Mycota)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Re: down side to big rubbermaid tubs? [Re: SixTango]
    #1265755 - 01/31/03 11:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Would each box need its own fan or could it push enough air for more then one? Positive pressure has it's addvantages of keeping out contamination but if each box needs a power source then that would be more complcated if you had more then a few tubs.One vacuum can be hooked up to many large rubbermaids.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1265782 - 01/31/03 11:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You can build a PVC pipe manifold for a few bucks, use a bigger fan & filter to feed the manifold clean air, then run tube lines off the manifold to 15 or 20 tubs, if you want. Easy as flushing a toilet & cheap. 6T

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck