Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: Good ID books? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #12583506 - 05/18/10 02:26 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Did you make one of Psilocybe subaeruginosa too?

Not yet...

Quote:

Isn't this helping the Weraroas rather than damaging them? I mean you just covered the sole of your shoe with spores and effectively became a walking dispersal agent :shrug:

Yes it was helping them. if these were in fact a bird dispersed species at one point which many believe is the case, they need more people like me helping them out and spreading them around. Just look at the spread of Amanita muscaria in NZ... there was a study on how it was transferred on hikers boots form one point to another. 

Quote:

I know that you were just trying to troll the 'druggies' but I find it odd that a biologist would have such disdain for nature

Funny, if you had found them you would of picked them all and taken them home and consumed the batch... afterwords you would of shit into a closed sewage system killing all the spores in the progress.
And I'm the one with a disdain for nature...

Quote:

no one has said, "North American Mushroomsw" By Dr. Orson Miller. I use it first when attempting an ID. I like it. Any other opinions?

Although Orson was one of my favorite mycologist I don't find his books that useful...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Good ID books? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #12583697 - 05/18/10 03:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't believe the spores are dispersed by birds as much as they are by mollusks, maybe the birds eat the mollusks that have chomped on the fruitbodies but I doubt they are eating the fruit bodies themselves, maybe in the past when we had a lot more ground dwelling flightless birds like the eleven species of Moa that was the case but since then those birds have all been wiped out by humans!

--------------------

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Good ID books? [Re: inski]
    #12584007 - 05/18/10 06:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this is the battle-of-all-underling-ninja-heir-to-the-throne-of-the-mushroom-gods-of-their-domain thread! youcanalletibem, please let me know when you are tromping through eastern mass/nh, i'll try to trace your path next year.

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: Good ID books? [Re: inski]
    #12595619 - 05/19/10 11:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
I don't believe the spores are dispersed by birds as much as they are by mollusks, maybe the birds eat the mollusks that have chomped on the fruitbodies but I doubt they are eating the fruit bodies themselves,

I have a hard time believing that it's mollusks... we all have them, why haven't eastern North American mushrooms done this?
Quote:

maybe in the past when we had a lot more ground dwelling flightless birds like the eleven species of Moa that was the case but since then those birds have all been wiped out by humans!

Of course it was in the past, stuff doesn't evolve overnight... It's taken millions of years for birds in NZ to decided that it's pointless to fly when you have no predators on the ground and plenty of food there so why waste energy flying from place to place when you don't have to. So the mushrooms adapted, some did anyway...

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Good ID books? [Re: You can all etibem]
    #12596683 - 05/20/10 07:55 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

no one has said, "North American Mushroomsw" By Dr. Orson Miller. I use it first when attempting an ID. I like it. Any other opinions?

Although Orson was one of my favorite mycologist I don't find his books that useful...

Really? I thought the keys were pretty good. Is it the species he describes, and the ones he omits? I agree this book won't help the hunter of entheogenic fungus, but I generally recognize those. What do you recommend?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags