Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies
    #12556587 - 05/13/10 05:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have noticed that there has been quite a bit of interest in Worm Tea or Compost tea recently in the EG, so I decided while I was cleaning my Aerobic worm tea bucket system and everything is actually viewable that I would write up a little Tek for you guys to enjoy.

SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Mallacht) might or might not have drank a couple of cups of some pretty potent pod tea, so I'll try to keep this relatively lucid.

Materials Needed:
  • Enough Worm Castings to fill around 2 socks (for teabags) (Bag of Worm Castings: $10)
  • 2 socks
  • Molasses, I have read Black Strap Molasses is specifically better ($2)
  • Airstones (preferably 4 or more) (around $10 - $20)
  • Air Pumps for the Airstones (Depending on how all out one goes, $15 - $30)
  • Standard 5 Gal Bucket (Home Depot one pictured, $2.50)

Here's a picture of what mine looks like without water:

As you can see, there is 4 Airstones in the bottom. I have recently made improvements and tied the smaller ones to the large one. The reason I have done this is because the smaller ones tend to end up floating when they work much better fixed to the bottom.

Here is a picture with it connected to the Air Pumps:

A pic of the Grandma's Black Strap Molasses

With water added and bubbling...

2-3 Tablespoons of Grandma's Black Strap Molasses added to the bucket

With worm castings, molasses, and in full operation

I wired a pump with a switch, like this

so that I could more easily fill one gallon jugs to keep up with all of my plants, but it also works out to further aerate the tea as well.

Of course this is somewhat overkill, but I've found that it helps to create the large amount of frothy foam that you're looking for before it's ready for use.

It should be bubbling for anywhere from 48-72 hrs (Some say more), but the foam is the real guide IME. The more foam the better. I have read that the foam is insinuative that there is a large amount of beneficial bacteria present.

So FOAM = Ready for use.

I have heard other people say add things like an extra sock full of fresh soil from the garden to help jump start the beneficials, since garden soil tends to already have a lot of it, unless it's horrible soil of course.

There's a lot of other stuff that you could add I suppose, but I like to keep things simple and my plants are thriving like crazy so I don't feel the need to add anything more.

Anyway, that's about it... Enjoy!

EDIT:

Essentially what you are doing is creating a culture of beneficial Aerobic bacteria. When water sits for a long time without moving, it eventually becomes bacteria ridden and disgusting because of the fact that the harmful bacteria, or Anaerobic (anti-air) bacteria thrive in an environment lacking oxygen. So, when you use the bubblers to oxygenate the water, you are creating an environment that is perfect for the beneficial, Aerobic bacteria thus creating a thriving culture of them. Beneficial bacteria help break down components in soil that would otherwise be useless to plants and render them more immediately available.

--------------------

Edited by themallacht (05/13/10 06:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: theMallacht]
    #12556999 - 05/13/10 06:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I use an 1 tbsp of worm casting per gal of water...and use the bottom part to top dress my plants or mix it back into compost pal

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: Brainiac]
    #12557078 - 05/13/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, I never even bother being exact about it, I just fill two socks about half full and then tie a knot in the top so it'll catch on the top of the bucket. I figure overkill can't hurt. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSir Cypher
Living Being
Male User Gallery

Loc: the far reaches of space
Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: Brainiac]
    #12557079 - 05/13/10 06:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This is wonderful! This answers all my questions about your worm tea and then some.  Although I hope I'm not one of the dummies.  Thank you for the enlightening tek.

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #12557201 - 05/13/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Good write up Mallacht. Clear, concise and to the point. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleisolation
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #12557902 - 05/13/10 08:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome post :thumbup:

OfflineSMUCKA
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: isolation]
    #12560361 - 05/14/10 05:20 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i the uk here i use worm pee not worm tea. worm pee is stronger, more powerful and is the waste water from a wormery. which drains into the bottom of the wormery and collected then dilated. seems alot easier than electic pumps and wot not. plus if u do keep worms u get the great soil as well and the wee.

Invisibleredeyesmj
werdo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle of kansas
Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: SMUCKA]
    #12560809 - 05/14/10 08:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

cool!!! my garden will thank you!!!

--------------------
Where am I at?

[/url]
“To be godless is probably the first step to innocence," he said, "to lose the sense of sin and subordination, the false grief for things supposed to be lost."
So by innocence you mean not an absence of experience, but an absence of illusions."
An absence of need for illusions," he said. "A love of and respect for what is right before your eyes.”― Anne Rice, The Vampire Lestat

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: SMUCKA]
    #12562780 - 05/14/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SMUCKA said:
i the uk here i use worm pee not worm tea. worm pee is stronger, more powerful and is the waste water from a wormery. which drains into the bottom of the wormery and collected then dilated. seems alot easier than electic pumps and wot not. plus if u do keep worms u get the great soil as well and the wee.

I too Vermicompost (worm farm), (where do you think I got the castings?) and the stuff you are referring to as "worm pee" is called leachate, and is not actually worm pee at all. If you read this part of the post:
Quote:

Essentially what you are doing is creating a culture of beneficial Aerobic bacteria. When water sits for a long time without moving, it eventually becomes bacteria ridden and disgusting because of the fact that the harmful bacteria, or Anaerobic (anti-air) bacteria thrive in an environment lacking oxygen. So, when you use the bubblers to oxygenate the water, you are creating an environment that is perfect for the beneficial, Aerobic bacteria thus creating a thriving culture of them. Beneficial bacteria help break down components in soil that would otherwise be useless to plants and render them more immediately available.

You would understand that this also applies to leachate, what you call worm pee. It, too sits for a long time and actually gains HARMFUL bacteria. Look up on google "worm tea". You'll find almost every single recipe recommends the use of bubblers. The reason for this is above, I'm not going to repeat myself.

--------------------

Edited by themallacht (05/14/10 03:58 PM)

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #12562910 - 05/14/10 04:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

themallacht said:
You would understand that this also applies to leachate, what you call worm pee. It, too sits for a long time and actually gains HARMFUL bacteria. Look up on google "worm tea". You'll find almost every single recipe recommends the use of bubblers. The reason for this is above, I'm not going to repeat myself.

Aerobic bacteria vs. anaerobic ones.

The good guys are supposed to be cure-alls, when sprayed on foliage, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes, yet.

A nurseryman suggested to me that difficult plant cuttings have a higher success rate when the bubbler is used in their water, making the rocks doubly useful.

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: durian_2008]
    #12562962 - 05/14/10 04:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, if there is no presence of oxygen in any sort of water there is more presence of harmful anaerobic bacteria, this is exactly the point I was making.

From a popular worm farming website:
Quote:

The liquid coming out of the bottom of a bin is more accurately referred to as ‘leachate’, and definitely is not as desirable (from a gardening standpoint) as actual worm tea (aka castings tea, vermicompost tea, compost tea).

Leachate is produced when excess water is released from decomposing wastes and/or is added directly to the system. Partially decomposed  materials are not nearly as well stabilized as mature composts, and thus can contain a variety of potentially phytotoxic (i.e. they can harm your plants) compounds.

Generally, if you dilute leachate and add it to your garden you will likely see some benefits (especially if your worm bin is quite mature), but again you are better off to make tea using finished vermicompost.

--------------------

Edited by themallacht (05/14/10 05:14 PM)

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #12563003 - 05/14/10 04:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm thinking of pro-biotic foods (meant for human consumption), as opposed to the putrid black mud, at the bottom of a pond.

One of them doesn't seem to spoil.

The other leaves a stench in your skin, even after several washings.

It seems intuitive that one would promote disease, and the other would promote health.

Edited by durian_2008 (05/14/10 04:48 PM)

Invisiblecc2
Mush

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: durian_2008]
    #12584173 - 05/18/10 07:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

awesome post :thumbup: thumbs up

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: cc2]
    #12584691 - 05/18/10 10:03 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it.

--------------------

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#19636257 - 03/01/14 06:40 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I thought I'd bump this, even though it's super old just in case anyone has any interest in a basic worm tea setup.

I will be doing a new issue of "Mallacht Talks" soon on Advanced Worm Tea Brewing. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinelol98xlol98
Some Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: South East Coast
    #19636680 - 03/01/14 08:16 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I found this read very interesting I have never heard of this before. But I am glad to of read this :smile: Thanks for the bump!

--------------------
~Namaste~

Offlinekyoto
greenman

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: lol98xlol98]
    #19638155 - 03/02/14 04:04 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I have yet to try this. Read lots of info about it.
I'm going to buy a vermicompost system in a few weeks, by that time i have plenty of fresh high quality food for them.

Malacht, do you use rockdust?

--------------------
" Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda

TRADE LIST
https://www.cactusplaza.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/12234/

Invisible1234go
 User Gallery

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: kyoto]
    #19638332 - 03/02/14 06:06 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for bumping, this has answered some questions I've had for a long time.

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: 1234go]
    #19639479 - 03/02/14 01:07 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

you could put an airstone directly in your leachate in the bottom box of your wormery no ?

OfflineAconite
Stranger

Re: TheMallacht's Aerobic Worm Tea for Dummies [Re: sidvivius]
    #19639886 - 03/02/14 02:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

great info!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder