Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in psychedelic history (05/13) * 1
    #12554002 - 05/13/10 07:49 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

• 1957:  Life magazine featuring Gordon Wasson's "Seeking the magic mushroom" article is published

Quote:

"Seeking the Magic Mushroom" is a 1957 photo essay by amateur mycologist Robert Gordon Wasson describing his experience taking psilocybin mushrooms in 1955 during a Mazatec ritual in Oaxaca, Mexico. Wasson was one of the first Westerners to participate in a Mazatec ceremony and to describe the psychoactive effects of the Psilocybe species. The essay contains photographs by Allan Richardson and illustrations of several mushroom species of Psilocybe collected and identified by French botanist Roger Heim, then director of the French National Museum of Natural History. Wasson's essay, written in a first person narrative, appeared in the May 13 issue of Life magazine as part three of the "Great Adventures" series.

The essay was part of three related works about mushrooms released around the same time period. It was preceded by the limited release of Mushrooms, Russia and History, a two-volume book by Wasson and his wife, Valentina Pavlovna Wasson. The Life magazine essay was followed six days later by "I Ate the Sacred Mushroom", an interview with Valentina in This Week magazine. Against Wasson's wishes, a Life magazine editor added the term "Magic Mushroom" to the title and brought its use into popular culture. The essay influenced the nascent counterculture in the United States and led many hippies to travel to Mexico in the 1960s in search of the mushroom, including Timothy Leary. In the 1970s, Wasson expressed misgivings about the wide publicity the essay brought to the Mazatec culture and the defilement of the mushroom ritual.

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

Wasson's studies in ethnomycology began during his 1927 honeymoon trip to the Catskill Mountains when his wife, Valentina Pavlovna Guercken, a pediatrician, chanced upon some edible wild mushrooms. Fascinated by the marked difference in cultural attitudes towards fungi in Russia compared to the United States, the couple began field research that led to the publication of Mushrooms, Russia and History in 1957.

In the course of their investigations they mounted expeditions to Mexico to study the religious use of mushrooms by the native population, and claimed to have been the first Westerners to participate in a Mazatec mushroom ritual.

It was the curandera MarĂ­a Sabina who both allowed the Wassons to participate in the ritual and who taught them about the uses and effects of the mushroom. Sabina let him take her picture on the condition that he keep it private, but Wasson nonetheless published the photo along with Sabina's name and the name of the community where she lived.

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

Click here to see and read the entire article online. 

• 1957:  R. Gordon Wasson and Valentina Wasson publish the book Mushrooms, Russia and History

Quote:

The Wassons are the authors of "Mushrooms, Russia & . History," published May 13 by Pantheon Books. This contains an account of a long-forgotten long-forgotten long-forgotten Mexican Indian rite based on mushroom worship and the strange properties properties of the "sacred" mushroom. The Wassons" work appears in a two-volume two-volume two-volume edition limited to 510 copies at $125 each.

(This Week Magazine via The Los Angeles Times (Los Angeles, California), 19 May 1957, Sun, Page 444)

• 1971:  New Scientist Magazine publishes article titled LSD Recovers From A 'Bum Trip'

Quote:

(http://books.google.com/)

• 1976:  Dennis Federico and Eric Rappaport's organic LSD laboratory is busted

Quote:

Berkeley LSD 'Lab' Raided

Police federal agents arrest two Spruce Street residents

A laboratory believed be police and federal agents to have been used in manufacturing LSD was discovered in a home at 515 Spruce St and two Berkeley men are in federal custody as a result.
  Arrested around 7 am yesterday [May 13, 1976] were Dennis B Federico 26 who police said will soon receive a doctors degree in genetics from UC-Berkeley and Eric Rappaport 28 holder of a bachelors degree in science from the University of Pennsylvania.
  Both residents of the Spruce Street address the men were booked into federal court on charges of possessing controlled substances with intent to sell and were being held for further investigation which could lead to additional charges of manufacturing LSD according to a Drug Enforcement Administration source.
  Al Bierce of the Berkeley Police Departments special investigations bureau said the arrests followed a one-week investigation based on information contained in a letter received by police from an unidentified source.
  After surveillance and observation had confirmed the information included in the letter police and drug enforcement officers obtained a warrant from a US magistrate for a search of the house.
  Evidence uncovered yesterday according to Bierce included a culture mold used in a biological process of making LSD developed in 1963 14 test tubes containing the drug in various stages of an incubation process additional LSD substance found in a refrigerator plus quantities of cocaine marijuana and LSD (in tablet form).
  Bierce said the LSD tablets apparently were received from an outside source since no tabbing machinery was found in the search of the home.
  Drug Enforcement Administration officer Ken Kruskow said it was "extremely rare to discover an LSD laboratory and even more unusual to find a biological process being employed in the manufacture of the drug.
  Bierce who headed the local investigation of the case said the suspects apparently obtained the mold and other items necessary for producing the drug sometime in February and may not have had time to complete the manufacturing process.
  Kruskow said the material confiscated yesterday is being analyzed to determine its exact nature.

(The Berkeley Gazette (Berkeley, California) 14 May 1976, Fri Page 1)

Authorities said they are uncertain how long Federico has been involved with drugs, but noted he had a newspaper clipping from 1976 detailing his arrest for manufacturing LSD while he was a graduate student at UC Berkeley. Federico reportedly told the arresting officers the offense was reduced to a misdemeanor, but that it was sufficient to get him "bounced out of school."

(The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa, California) 19 Jan 1988, Tue Page 2)

Edited by Learyfan (05/08/21 12:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCulpepers
Open-Minded Fugitive

Loc: Denmark Flag
Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #12554053 - 05/13/10 08:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Great as always. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

--------------------
"Imagine all of creation as a big pond of water. Your life is a drop of water falling from the sky. During life you feel separate and then you hit the water and become one with it. There is no drop of water anymore, just the pond."
-- ChinaCat72

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: Culpepers]
    #12554085 - 05/13/10 08:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Enjoy, brother.  PS - I love your signature.  :wink:

PPS - If any collectors are interested, it looks as though you can get this legendary issue of Life Magazine in 'Good' condition for just $40 on this site, and you can get it in 'Very Good' condition for just $12 on this site.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #12554226 - 05/13/10 09:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

A really awesome Shroomerite gave me an actual copy of this issue of Life magazine as a gift, I am getting it framed. Here it is sitting on my coffee table:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021] * 1
    #12554733 - 05/13/10 11:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
A really awesome Shroomerite gave me an actual copy of this issue of Life magazine as a gift, I am getting it framed. Here it is sitting on my coffee table:

I got one through a trade in the Marketplace - historical psychedelia is Super Cool :smile:

Love the Shroomery :smile:

Thanks Learyfan - another informative post :smile:

Light and Love,
DW
:gd_icon:

Offlineant61
Male

Loc: colorado
    #12555718 - 05/13/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

really nice thanks for sharing.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: ant61]
    #12556085 - 05/13/10 03:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not a problem.  Man, dwpineal and OMR, that's great that you guys have the issue.  I'll get it eventually.  OMR, thanks for the pic.  That's really cool. 

:cool:

--------------------

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#12556101 - 05/13/10 03:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

That picture right there is something special. I have thought about doing a "mushroom mandala" with a drawing of that picture in the center of the mandala. That was an extremely significant moment in history, the passing of the secrets from one culture to the world.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: dwpineal]
    #12556121 - 05/13/10 03:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You're absolutely right.  Maria Sabina was passing that torch on right there.  Although, later in life, she regretted doing so because we didn't treat it with respect.  We completely ruined it for her and she was pissed about it.

--------------------

Male

#12556130 - 05/13/10 03:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
You're absolutely right.  Maria Sabina was passing that torch on right there.  Although, later in life, she regretted doing so because we didn't treat it with respect.  We completely ruined it for her and she was pissed about it.

Mm, I don't think it was our lack of respect but it was actually just the fact that she had given it away led to her being harassed and her house being burned down by her fellow villagers.

For those who haven't read it, Andy Letcher's "Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom" is a very, very good book that may make some of us very uncomfortable.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#12556165 - 05/13/10 03:53 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

Yeah I read a lot about her a while back and it was really sad how her community turned on her for her gift - and I think we are still a long ways from learning how to integrate our culture and society into the ever-blooming shamanic-entheogenic-nature-conscious technological force - but when we develop frameworks for responsible entheogenic exploration and have a matured infrastructure for dissemination of the substances and re-integration with society to create a better life for the individual and world for all species, then she will be smiling down.

And I see this all as a possibility - the work has already begun.

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:

For those who haven't read it, Andy Letcher's "Shroom: A Cultural History of the Magic Mushroom" is a very, very good book that may make some of us very uncomfortable.

Yeah man! I have that book but haven't finished it - I may go pick it back up - I thought it was well written and had some interesting info, thought I expected to not like it - it was pretty informative!

Edited by dwpineal (05/13/10 03:55 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #12556190 - 05/13/10 03:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I hadn't heard about her house being burned down.  That's horrible.  I can't remember where I read it or what she said exactly, but I seem to remember her saying that the mushrooms didn't talk to her anymore because of how they were used by "us".  She sounded angry and bitter about it.  Understandably so I guess, but it was important for everyone to have access to psilocybin mushrooms, so I'm glad Wasson took that trip. 

--------------------

Male

Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: dwpineal] * 1
    #12556201 - 05/13/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah dw, it's a pretty great read...I read it after I saw Andy Letcher speak at the Horizons conference back in September...he was really dynamic, and he said a lot of things people didn't like! He prefaced it all by saying how he loved McKenna and it was McKenna who inspired him to become a scholar, but that he realized as time went on that McKenna was a visionary thinker but a poor scientist, and he went on to show ways in which that's really true, and he goes into it a bit in the book.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#12556210 - 05/13/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
...but it was important for everyone to have access to psilocybin mushrooms, so I'm glad Wasson took that trip. 

Yes that picture really captures an amazingly transcendent moment in the history of humanity.

I mean we're all at a place called the Shroomery for goodness sakes :smile:

When I see that picture it just conjures up a freight train of thoughts!

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#12556215 - 05/13/10 04:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dwpineal said: I think we are still a long ways from learning how to integrate our culture and society into the ever-blooming shamanic-entheogenic-nature-conscious technological force - but when we develop frameworks for responsible entheogenic exploration and have a matured infrastructure for dissemination of the substances and re-integration with society to create a better life for the individual and world for all species, then she will be smiling down.

Wow, well said.  But hey, what do you mean the community turned on her for a gift?  I hadn't heard that.  What was the gift and who gave it?

--------------------

Male

#12556230 - 05/13/10 04:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dwpineal said:
I think we are still a long ways from learning how to integrate our culture and society into the ever-blooming shamanic-entheogenic-nature-conscious technological force - but when we develop frameworks for responsible entheogenic exploration and have a matured infrastructure for dissemination of the substances and re-integration with society to create a better life for the individual and world for all species, then she will be smiling down.

I dig your rap, dw. :thumbup:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

#12556231 - 05/13/10 04:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Oh sorry - I meant the gift of her giving the mushroom to western society and how many other local healer-shamans were not happy with her and ostracized her for that same and oh so important gift.

Mushrooms have probably healed and helped so many people who were not ever going into the experience expecting that.

I really want to go and read all I can about her now...OMR is there a lot about her in the SHROOMS book? I have that in my bedroom now...

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#14443843 - 05/13/11 05:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#16223348 - 05/13/12 08:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

55th anniversary today!

:mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlineotaku on shrooms
otaku on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: arizona usa
Re: Today in psychedelic history (05/13) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #16223768 - 05/13/12 10:58 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

one step beyond the sacred mushroom 1/3

--------------------
im not r kelly i do not create evidence, and my experments are purely theoretical i refuse to post pics of any grows so ethier take my words at face value or simply choose to think what you already do. please note its my experiance that i dont think like others so please be patiant when i have to explain something it may make no sense to you but it does to me

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order