Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMaurer

Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #12553105 - 05/13/10 01:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
Quote:

jenns_hot said:
Corporations didnt event shampoo and force it upon us, guys.

someone did-- shampoo wasn't always around-- someone had to invent it.

and now corporations make people believe that shampoo is a necessity for hygiene, when it is most definitely not.

what is the scam you say?
1. invent false demand for poo
2. sell poo [with perhaps mind effecting chemicals in them] to the masses
3. masses rub chemicals directly into their brain-- and also waste money like $12 for a bottle of poo.
4. ????
5. profit.

So my brain gets shampoo in it when I shower :tinfoil: I'd rather not walk around with oily hair like a nast/lazy hippy though. Sorry my brain is just going to take one for the team I guess. Damn those shampoo companies for putting chems in my brain, I hope there's nothing foreign in my weed or my jwh though. At least it only goes right into my blood stream through my lungs.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehashishkabob
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: jenns_hot]
    #12553108 - 05/13/10 01:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm with this guy. My hair/ anyone's hair puts off a certain odor after a day or two.

Offlinejenns_hot
Hungry
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast Flag
    #12553114 - 05/13/10 01:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
Quote:

jenns_hot said:
Corporations didnt event shampoo and force it upon us, guys.

someone did-- shampoo wasn't always around-- someone had to invent it.

and now corporations make people believe that shampoo is a necessity for hygiene, when it is most definitely not.

what is the scam you say?
1. invent false demand for poo
2. sell poo [with perhaps mind effecting chemicals in them] to the masses
3. masses rub chemicals directly into their brain-- and also waste money like $12 for a bottle of poo.
4. ????
5. profit.

whoops, that was supposed to say "invent".

anyway, i know it's expensive, and yea the corporations are making profit... but so what?  that's how business works.  you think the companies on here selling spore syringes for 12 to 15 bucks a pop arent making a fortune by selling things that people want/need?

i don't care if it's a corporation or a small business... honestly, corporations are taxed at a higher rate than small business anyway so it makes since that they sell their products for more (though they usually make up the difference through bulk selling instead).

--------------------
"Fear makes the wolf look bigger"

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: skatealex2] * 1
    #12553123 - 05/13/10 01:03 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Shampoo is not necessary. There are other ways to clean your hair.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: skatealex2]
    #12553135 - 05/13/10 01:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Shampoo is soap for your hair; it helps fat dissolve in water. That part is not a scam, the rest probably is.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: Maurer]
    #12553158 - 05/13/10 01:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

REVERSING SHAMPOO
THE GREAT SHAMPOO SCANDAL
by Makoli
September 6, 1998

Well, a small pebble of reality cracking, yet NOTHING is insignificant in this world of ours where toothpastes that actually damage your teeth are advertised by "beautiful" smiling models with false teeth. Enjoy!

I didn't actually crack the shampoo scam, all I did was write this. But as with any other protected thing, at least somebody knows the truth all along.

The truth here is that shampoo's bad for your hair. It cleans out dirt, but also the oil that makes your hair shiny and strong. However shampoo's sold as something your hair really needs, and the truth is suppressed.

There are several common sorts of soapy things. They attract oils by electric charge, allowing the oil to be emulsified with the water. For some reason, these cleaners are themselves made from fats. Soap is made from animal or vegetable oil, and detergent is made from mineral oil. Detergents can be made more powerful. Shampoo is detergent, just like dishwashing detergent, bathroom cleaner, and engine block cleaner.

People used to use soap to wash their hair, as well as their dishes, clothes and bathrooms (and horses, before there were engines.) Soap was better suited to washing hair, because it didn't remove so much of the oils that are naturally in hair.

But the water supply slowly changed. It's now generally more alkaline, which people call hard water. When this started happening, soap didn't work so well. The chemicals which make water alkaline make soap stop lathering well, and form insoluble scum (eg. the ring in the bath.) So soap got less and less effective for all its cleaning uses. I guess the water was always pretty alkaline in some places, so soap was never an ideal cleaner. Around the beginning of the twentieth century, household detergents became available. Detergents have no problem with alkaline water, so they were really popular. They soon became cheaper than soap, too.

So that's why people stopped using soap for almost everything, and started using detergents. Detergents are excellent cleaners for most uses.

If you've tried using soap to wash your hair, you probably know how your hair goes all rough and tangly. This is worse if your water's harder (more alkaline.) I moved recently, and suddenly started having problems using soap in my hair. The problem is that hair reacts to acids and alkalis.

Each hair has little scales, like scales on a snake or shingles on a roof. Acid makes the scales lie down flat, which makes your hair shiny and smooth. (Ever heard that lemon juice is good for your hair?) Alkali makes the scales stand up, which makes your hair look dull and feel rough and tangly. Therefore hard water, which is common these days, makes it harder to wash your hair. If you use soap to wash your hair in hard water, then the combination of your hair's scales standing up and the soap forming scum makes your hair into a terrible mess. Then, since your hair's all tangled and rough, it's impossible to rinse out all the soap, which makes it look terrible.

Shampoo, being detergent, can rinse out of your hair fine even in alkaline water. That's its only good point. Its fundamental, but covered up, bad point is that it's very harsh, and damages your hair permanently. Conditioner was soon introduced as people noticed that shampoo sucked the oils out of their hair dry and left it all dry and brittle. Conditioner puts artificial oils in your hair, and they stay there just long enough so that you don't associate the damage to your hair with the shampoo that caused it.

You have to wash your hair every day, not because it always gets dirty so fast but because the oils from the conditioner don't last and have to be replenished. Conditioner wasn't used until shampoo came about.

But the real cheat in shampoo is when it's sold as being especially good for your hair. Expensive shampoos are in a way better, but only because the conditioner that comes with them is better at covering up the damage done by the shampoo. The actual shampoo itself is pretty much the same as any cheap shampoo. The professional formula, which will nourish your hair and make it grow more healthy, with vitamins and natural nutrients, gentle seaweed extracts, jojoba oil…

Remember that your hair's dead. That exposes half of shampoo advertising as lies. Remember that shampoo is just detergent. That shows that most of the remaining half is lies too. Remember that the oils your hair needs come naturally out of your scalp, as they've been doing for thousands of years before conditioner was invented. When you think about it, nothing that is claimed about shampoo and conditioner is true.

In a way, we really do need conditioner, as advertising implies. But the real reason why we need it is because our hair gets damaged by shampoo. This is just another case of using lies to help a bad product (shampoo) gain dominance over a good product (soap), then introducing another product (conditioner) to compensate for the bad product's faults, and then tricking people into accepting huge price increases once they forget the good product.

The only good thing about shampoo is that it doesn't work any worse in hard water.

Does that ever get mentioned in advertising? The rest is lies, to fool you into paying $10 for a $1 bottle of perfumed detergent.

WHAT TO DO

Soap is good to wash your hair with. Forget all the dregs of misinformation spread by shampoo manufacturers, and forget that soap is "harsh". Remember that the problem with using soap is in the water, not the soap. You just need to solve the problem of the hard water, and soap is fine to use. I can recommend two ways.

If your water's not too hard, just substitute soap for shampoo, and use any old cheapish conditioner. The conditioner will make the scales on your hair lie down, and let the last of the soap get rinsed out. You might have to experiment with different soaps and conditioners. Maybe some conditioner which is pH balanced is best. Some "good ol" plain soap with no added water and perfume is probably best.

Otherwise, you can add some weak acid at some point in the washing process. Since you need just a tiny amount, even cheap vinegar will do, without leaving a smell. You could make a soap goo out of soap and water, and add a bit of lemon juice. You could have a jug of water with a teaspoonful of vinegar in it, to rinse your hair with after soaping. Or how about pouring it into a plastic squirty bottle, so you don't spill it.

Another good thing is oil of rosemary. It stimulates your scalp, to encourage the natural oils to flow. Actually I haven't worked out how to get it onto my scalp, since there's all that hair in the way, but I've heard it's possible.

So in summary, shampoo had a legitimate claim as an alternative for soap. But now it's not sold by that claim, it's sold by lies. Soap's better for your hair, and you can still use it if you compensate for hard water.

http://reactor-core.org/shampoo-scam.html

--------------------

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
    #12553167 - 05/13/10 01:15 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I dunno, a bottle costs 5 bucks and lasts me months and months, and I like the feel of clean hair. So, if it's a scam, I don't mind.

OfflineTheSpiderSilva
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kentucky
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: Annom]
    #12553175 - 05/13/10 01:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I DONT USE SHAMPOO AND LOOK AT ME...(THATS RIGHT...)

--------------------
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.”
~Terence McKenna

OfflineMaurer

#12553325 - 05/13/10 01:47 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
Quote:

REVERSING SHAMPOO
THE GREAT SHAMPOO SCANDAL
by Makoli
September 6, 1998

Well, a small pebble of reality cracking, yet NOTHING is insignificant in this world of ours where toothpastes that actually damage your teeth are advertised by "beautiful" smiling models with false teeth. Enjoy!

I didn't actually crack the shampoo scam, all I did was write this. But as with any other protected thing, at least somebody knows the truth all along.

The truth here is that shampoo's bad for your hair. It cleans out dirt, but also the oil that makes your hair shiny and strong. However shampoo's sold as something your hair really needs, and the truth is suppressed.

There are several common sorts of soapy things. They attract oils by electric charge, allowing the oil to be emulsified with the water. For some reason, these cleaners are themselves made from fats. Soap is made from animal or vegetable oil, and detergent is made from mineral oil. Detergents can be made more powerful. Shampoo is detergent, just like dishwashing detergent, bathroom cleaner, and engine block cleaner.

People used to use soap to wash their hair, as well as their dishes, clothes and bathrooms (and horses, before there were engines.) Soap was better suited to washing hair, because it didn't remove so much of the oils that are naturally in hair.

But the water supply slowly changed. It's now generally more alkaline, which people call hard water. When this started happening, soap didn't work so well. The chemicals which make water alkaline make soap stop lathering well, and form insoluble scum (eg. the ring in the bath.) So soap got less and less effective for all its cleaning uses. I guess the water was always pretty alkaline in some places, so soap was never an ideal cleaner. Around the beginning of the twentieth century, household detergents became available. Detergents have no problem with alkaline water, so they were really popular. They soon became cheaper than soap, too.

So that's why people stopped using soap for almost everything, and started using detergents. Detergents are excellent cleaners for most uses.

If you've tried using soap to wash your hair, you probably know how your hair goes all rough and tangly. This is worse if your water's harder (more alkaline.) I moved recently, and suddenly started having problems using soap in my hair. The problem is that hair reacts to acids and alkalis.

Each hair has little scales, like scales on a snake or shingles on a roof. Acid makes the scales lie down flat, which makes your hair shiny and smooth. (Ever heard that lemon juice is good for your hair?) Alkali makes the scales stand up, which makes your hair look dull and feel rough and tangly. Therefore hard water, which is common these days, makes it harder to wash your hair. If you use soap to wash your hair in hard water, then the combination of your hair's scales standing up and the soap forming scum makes your hair into a terrible mess. Then, since your hair's all tangled and rough, it's impossible to rinse out all the soap, which makes it look terrible.

Shampoo, being detergent, can rinse out of your hair fine even in alkaline water. That's its only good point. Its fundamental, but covered up, bad point is that it's very harsh, and damages your hair permanently. Conditioner was soon introduced as people noticed that shampoo sucked the oils out of their hair dry and left it all dry and brittle. Conditioner puts artificial oils in your hair, and they stay there just long enough so that you don't associate the damage to your hair with the shampoo that caused it.

You have to wash your hair every day, not because it always gets dirty so fast but because the oils from the conditioner don't last and have to be replenished. Conditioner wasn't used until shampoo came about.

But the real cheat in shampoo is when it's sold as being especially good for your hair. Expensive shampoos are in a way better, but only because the conditioner that comes with them is better at covering up the damage done by the shampoo. The actual shampoo itself is pretty much the same as any cheap shampoo. The professional formula, which will nourish your hair and make it grow more healthy, with vitamins and natural nutrients, gentle seaweed extracts, jojoba oil…

Remember that your hair's dead. That exposes half of shampoo advertising as lies. Remember that shampoo is just detergent. That shows that most of the remaining half is lies too. Remember that the oils your hair needs come naturally out of your scalp, as they've been doing for thousands of years before conditioner was invented. When you think about it, nothing that is claimed about shampoo and conditioner is true.

In a way, we really do need conditioner, as advertising implies. But the real reason why we need it is because our hair gets damaged by shampoo. This is just another case of using lies to help a bad product (shampoo) gain dominance over a good product (soap), then introducing another product (conditioner) to compensate for the bad product's faults, and then tricking people into accepting huge price increases once they forget the good product.

The only good thing about shampoo is that it doesn't work any worse in hard water.

Does that ever get mentioned in advertising? The rest is lies, to fool you into paying $10 for a $1 bottle of perfumed detergent.

WHAT TO DO

Soap is good to wash your hair with. Forget all the dregs of misinformation spread by shampoo manufacturers, and forget that soap is "harsh". Remember that the problem with using soap is in the water, not the soap. You just need to solve the problem of the hard water, and soap is fine to use. I can recommend two ways.

If your water's not too hard, just substitute soap for shampoo, and use any old cheapish conditioner. The conditioner will make the scales on your hair lie down, and let the last of the soap get rinsed out. You might have to experiment with different soaps and conditioners. Maybe some conditioner which is pH balanced is best. Some "good ol" plain soap with no added water and perfume is probably best.

Otherwise, you can add some weak acid at some point in the washing process. Since you need just a tiny amount, even cheap vinegar will do, without leaving a smell. You could make a soap goo out of soap and water, and add a bit of lemon juice. You could have a jug of water with a teaspoonful of vinegar in it, to rinse your hair with after soaping. Or how about pouring it into a plastic squirty bottle, so you don't spill it.

Another good thing is oil of rosemary. It stimulates your scalp, to encourage the natural oils to flow. Actually I haven't worked out how to get it onto my scalp, since there's all that hair in the way, but I've heard it's possible.

So in summary, shampoo had a legitimate claim as an alternative for soap. But now it's not sold by that claim, it's sold by lies. Soap's better for your hair, and you can still use it if you compensate for hard water.

http://reactor-core.org/shampoo-scam.html

Seeing as how a blunt of high quality weed costs more than shampoo why is the shroomery going to be convinced? Christ every thing we buy is a "scam". Did you know they put powder that happens to be delicious on the crackers called saltines? Fuck my life they even have the nerve to make it complex on the chicken in a bisquits :facepalm: The biggest scam of them all is people who breed dogs, did you know they breed them to be cute or do things that you want so you will buy them?

--------------------

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #12553366 - 05/13/10 02:00 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In fact all cleaning products are a scam. Rub some dirt in your face and you're good to go for that job interview. People who think you're a dirty hippie who reeks are just narrow minded. You don't really want to work for those people.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
    #12553367 - 05/13/10 02:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

HAHA! This is somewhat random...
I was in my own world, thinking of weird word combinations:

When Wookie shampoo popped into my head. It sounds like an oxymoron being that shampoo probably goes against the Wook Way of Life...
But then I found this image:

Who knew?

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

#12553368 - 05/13/10 02:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Maurer said:]Did you know they put powder that happens to be delicious on the crackers called saltines?

fuk that .  im never buying saltine crackers again

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12553397 - 05/13/10 02:10 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

But shampoo gives you pa pa pa pa pa POWER!

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: Maurer] * 1
    #12553399 - 05/13/10 02:12 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure if you read that post, but here is the tldr if you didn't:

our scalps secret oils and minerals necessary for 'healthy' looking hair

soap: made from plant and animal oils
detergent (shampoo): made from mineral oils

both work to clean hair by removing excess oils-- except that detergent removes too much oil, leaving hair dry and rough (damaged!)

conditioner brought in to replace the oil that the shampoo removed, thereby making hair look healthy long enough until the next shower-- but in reality the hair is being damaged horrible-- stop shampoo/conditioner and this will be made apparent.

it may take a few months, but eventually your natural oils will reach a balance and your hair will be much healthier and cleaner without the shampoo-- all you need is water and the occasional soaping.

--------------------

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#12553430 - 05/13/10 02:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah dudes sometimes i feel gross after a shower to be honest..

something to do with what that guy said i think, about killing oils that relate to your electric-magnetic body

:2cents:

:crankey: im not a hippy!

--------------------
★★

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: the human abstract] * 1
    #12553443 - 05/13/10 02:29 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I wash my hair like once a week...

with this

works goooooooooood :feelsgoodman:

--------------------
smack a hoe out this dimension
continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, zappaisgod, big worm (sketch), tim b

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: Envix]
    #12553454 - 05/13/10 02:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

did you guys know your body releases oils through the skin as well and that your not sopposed to use detergent on your bed sheets because it releases to many oils from the fibers

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #12553471 - 05/13/10 02:39 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

both work to clean hair by removing excess oils-- except that detergent removes too much oil, leaving hair dry and rough (damaged!)

Then just use less shampoo.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: makaveli8x8] * 1
    #12553540 - 05/13/10 03:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
But shampoo gives you pa pa pa pa pa POWER!

I doubt he uses shampoo.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

InvisibleSouthernGulfStyle
FreeDriftinSpirit
Male User Gallery

Loc: texas,usa Flag
Re: is shampoo a scam? [Re: Idiot]
    #12553542 - 05/13/10 03:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

oh my gawwwd LMFAO ahaha this comercial was making me geek earlier on Adult swim ahaha

--------------------

Awebig Faggot said " Nice fucking question, shivers blood.
Seriously, go." ahahah A prime example of getting mad through a computer

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom