Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJackolo
Stranger

Loc: Oregon Flag
Can I pressure cook hydrogen peroxide/h2o2?
    #12544059 - 05/12/10 01:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Currently I have about 3 quarts of wild bird seed I'm using to spawn in quart-sized jars.  I have a 23qt Presto pressure canner, and I'm wondering if I can spray a solution of h2o2/hydrogen peroxide onto the wild bird seed (which is currently spread out on a paper bag drying) before putting the seed into the jars and sterilizing them.

Or, do I need to add the solution after sterilizing?

Sorry if this has been asked before... I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.  Anyways, thanks in advance.

Also, I have 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, do I need to dilute that (and to what extent?) or can I use that directly?

--------------------
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." -Confucius

./ Jackolo

Edited by Jackolo (05/12/10 01:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSci-Fi
Lover and a Dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz
Re: Can I pressure cook hydrogen peroxide/h2o2? [Re: Jackolo]
    #12544301 - 05/12/10 02:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Using peroxide on grains won't help at all.

Don't dry your grains too much after cooking them. Just drain them well.

InvisibleJackolo
Stranger

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Can I pressure cook hydrogen peroxide/h2o2? [Re: Sci-Fi]
    #12544542 - 05/12/10 02:47 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Appreciate it.  I suppose that's being paranoid?  Lol.

P.S. I live in Portland, where there's about 60% humidity this time of year.  Takes /forever/ to dry anything.  As from what I understand, the grains shouldn't be sticking to anything?

--------------------
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." -Confucius

./ Jackolo

Edited by Jackolo (05/12/10 02:50 AM)

InvisibleSci-Fi
Lover and a Dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz
    #12544668 - 05/12/10 03:07 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If they are sticky after cooking, put them in a strainer and rinse thoroughly with tap water. Let them sit in the strainer and drain for 30 minutes.

You don't want to dry them out before you pressure cook. You just want them to be well drained so the grains don't absorb a bunch of extra water when you PC them.

InvisibleKhaos

#12546089 - 05/12/10 07:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You shouldn't need to use H2O2.
After all that is the purpose of sterilizing them.
Add gypsum to the water you soak the WBS in.
Gypsum is excellent for keep things from sticking as long as you don't add it to your "field capacity" WBS after.
Plus it adds essential nutrients mycelium needs to fruit optimally.
I personally recommend preparing it exactly like rye and just be extra careful while simmering.

--------------------
"Surely all Americans have the right to give their money only to those causes which they support. But what kind of society has this created? A society where the ignorant reign. A society where enlightened must hold their tongues. A nation whose politicians must profess half-hearted devotion to an ancient fable or face the disastrous consequences of speaking their true mind." -Chris Mccandless 1987

OfflinePsil
Stranger

Re: Can I pressure cook hydrogen peroxide/h2o2? [Re: Khaos]
    #12546906 - 05/12/10 11:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I don't really understand why you would be adding hydrogen peroxide to uncolonised grain.  Yeah it will kill anything that pressure cooking doesn't but surely it would have the same effect on the spores.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #12547493 - 05/12/10 05:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jackolo said:
Currently I have about 3 quarts of wild bird seed I'm using to spawn in quart-sized jars.  I have a 23qt Presto pressure canner, and I'm wondering if I can spray a solution of h2o2/hydrogen peroxide onto the wild bird seed (which is currently spread out on a paper bag drying) before putting the seed into the jars and sterilizing them.

Or, do I need to add the solution after sterilizing?

Sorry if this has been asked before... I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.  Anyways, thanks in advance.

Also, I have 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, do I need to dilute that (and to what extent?) or can I use that directly?

Even if sterilization wouldn't denature the H202, H202 is toxic to mushroom mycelium. It's only used, in cultivation, for cobweb mold. More times than not, your mushroom mycelium won't be able to recover faster than the other molds in your substrate, so H202 does more harm than good.

I don't really understand the obsession on this site with using H202 at every possible opportunity. It has a niche place in cultivation, at best.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate