Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
Agar Growth
    #9809832 - 02/16/09 06:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

At the risk of sounding a bit new (I know eh?), I was wondering how far you guys let your agar grow out before putting into the bank.

Personally...I've been growing them until they get reeeal close to the edges and then halt it. I see alot of dishes that are left to get really thick or till they start to pin, but is there an advantage to leaving a plate this long? I mean, I would suspect that a plate grown near to the edges would be a sufficient amount of healthy happy myc to have as storage/trade instead of having it trying to crawl out of the dish.

But...maybe I'm wrong, not the first time :yesnod:

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Agar Growth [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9809870 - 02/16/09 06:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i dunno, i have an a. aegerita plate thats almost fully colonized though, meaning the mycelium has gone around the edges and is now colonizing the underside.

it will still make good spawn, though i should probably put it in cold storage soon.

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Agar Growth [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9809878 - 02/16/09 06:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You usually let them grow all the way out then...any reason why?

--------------------

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #9810175 - 02/16/09 07:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I usually try to put them in cold storage before the mycelium reaches the edge. There is a higher risk of the mycelium coming into contact with contamination towards the edges, especially if it crawls up towards the lid. I haven't found it to be a major problem though.

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Agar Growth [Re: waixingren]
    #9810186 - 02/16/09 07:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Greatly appreciated :awesome:

Thanks.

--------------------

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
    #9810273 - 02/16/09 08:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Plates are not meant for long-term storage. They evaporate too much liquid and have too large surface area to media weight ratio. That said, I am pretty lazy with my dishes, and let them grow for months at RT once I have the strain properly stored on slants. Thick mats on overgrown dishes contain plenty of viable mycelium which can be moved to the new dish and grown.

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Agar Growth [Re: denger]
    #9810323 - 02/16/09 08:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I was referring more to having plates for trading or use with LC/Grain/G2G not for slant or sterile water submersion.

I'd like to have a plate out in the fridge for a few months just to be handy...but as you said, far too cumbersome and inefficient for long-term.

--------------------

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #9810424 - 02/16/09 08:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

If you're wanting to just store a culture for use during the next few months it is wise to let it only grow out about a quarter to half way.  Remember that you should always let a culture sit at room temperature for a few days to recover from the cold storage(very important). During this time the culture will move across the plate a little. Leave it a little room! When the mycelium grows toward the edges of the plate there is a better chance of the culture failing from contamination. If a bit of hyphae make it outside  the plate (you might not even see it!) contaminates can work their way in. Especially bacteria. Bacteria often travel along the hyphae.

Lipa

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Agar Growth [Re: lipa]
    #9810435 - 02/16/09 08:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks Lipa, I did not know that.

I'll keep that in mind for my next set of plates.

--------------------

Invisiblelazy bones
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Agar Growth [Re: waixingren]
    #12535761 - 05/10/10 07:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

waixingren said:
I usually try to put them in cold storage before the mycelium reaches the edge. There is a higher risk of the mycelium coming into contact with contamination towards the edges, especially if it crawls up towards the lid. I haven't found it to be a major problem though.

So- if the mycelium does grow up/over the lids and actually starts to colonize the ziplock bag the plates are in, can the center of the plates (away from the edges) still be used for knocking up WBS?

I have some Oysters that I had forgotten about momentarily. I opened my incubator this morning and the 4 plates have totally colonized the inside of the ziplock. I'm a dumbass.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Agar Growth [Re: lazy bones]
    #12539625 - 05/10/10 08:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lazy bones said:
Quote:

waixingren said:

So- if the mycelium does grow up/over the lids and actually starts to colonize the ziplock bag the plates are in, can the center of the plates (away from the edges) still be used for knocking up WBS?

I have some Oysters that I had forgotten about momentarily. I opened my incubator this morning and the 4 plates have totally colonized the inside of the ziplock. I'm a dumbass.

Fucking LOL!

I have never had this happen to me because I do not use an incubator. I usually let my dishes colonize in open view where I can see them and that's just in my kitchen sink. I usually keep my agar dishes in my bedroom in plain view to check up on them.

I'm not sure if they will still be good, on the one hand oysters are a resilient species and on the other hand it is possible that the myc inside the plate is weakening or dying. I'd stake my opinion on the former, knowing oysters a bit, however also it's just WBS what have you got to loose?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinenugjug
Wanderer

#12540450 - 05/10/10 10:20 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
Remember that you should always let a culture sit at room temperature for a few days to recover from the cold storage(very important).

Do you do the same thing with slants?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Agar Growth [Re: nugjug]
    #12540475 - 05/10/10 10:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yes he does... but with transferring to agar it is probibly not important.

since that is the only case you are "supposed" to transfer from an agar slant that means no. You need to see that it's not contaminated from storage.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar Growth [Re: nugjug]
    #12541304 - 05/11/10 02:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I pull the slant and let it sit until I start seeing it grow a little faster then take my piece. (if it doesn't start growing again it is probably dead or crapped out).  The mycelium as a whole will recover much faster after the transfer than if you just take a tiny little piece of it and let it sit there forever waiting for it to start moving. I don't worry about contamination unless I see contamination and if I saw that there was contamination I would chuck the tube and either clean up the plates I made from it or chuck the tube and plates too and grab another slant from my multiple backups I make and make more back ups off my transfer from it while I am working with it.

I also make distilled water tubes with agar wedges inside for such problems so I don't have to worry about using my backups until its time to pull them for their periodic check-ups. So much simpler to just drain a little tube of the water in front of the hood and plop the wedge on top of a new plate not having to touch the culture at all.

Invisiblelazy bones
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12541748 - 05/11/10 07:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I'll freely admit I was a dumbass with this one. I just plain forgot about it. I'm not normally that bad at forgetting.

Anyways, I subcultured one plate last night and while I was at it, I took a bit of mycelium from the inside of the bag and put that on a plate too just for kicks.

And I have WBS soaking that I will PC tonight. Like you said, ScavengerType, what have I got to lose?

Offlinenugjug
Wanderer

#12542083 - 05/11/10 09:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
I pull the slant and let it sit until I start seeing it grow a little faster then take my piece. (if it doesn't start growing again it is probably dead or crapped out).  The mycelium as a whole will recover much faster after the transfer than if you just take a tiny little piece of it and let it sit there forever waiting for it to start moving. I don't worry about contamination unless I see contamination and if I saw that there was contamination I would chuck the tube and either clean up the plates I made from it or chuck the tube and plates too and grab another slant from my multiple backups I make and make more back ups off my transfer from it while I am working with it.

I also make distilled water tubes with agar wedges inside for such problems so I don't have to worry about using my backups until its time to pull them for their periodic check-ups. So much simpler to just drain a little tube of the water in front of the hood and plop the wedge on top of a new plate not having to touch the culture at all.

Thanks lipa.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck