Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefastest gun in the west
demon with aglass hand

Loc: canada
Jesus Poll
    #1253431 - 01/27/03 12:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Before I write my post just know that this is my first post here at shroomery but I've been reading other posts for a long time. I just want to know what everyone thinks about Jesus Christ, the man the myth and the legend.

Personally I think Jesus was just a man born with a mind-altering disease such as paranoid schizophrenia or something. I also think the miracles he "performed" were 75% exaggeration/fabrication and 25% truth. But i would like to know what some of you think as well.

Jesus???
He was the real deal, just as his story as been told in the bible.
He was a real man, but the stories of his legacy are a bit exaggerated.
He didn't exist at all.
You're going to hell!

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: fastest gun in the west]
    #1253438 - 01/27/03 12:05 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've read a lot of the Gospel of Thomas. Jesus seemed to be very spiritual, and quite wise. His teachings also have much more eastern influence on them than any of the modern day Christians (charlatans and pretenders..) would ever lead you to believe.

All in all, I think Jesus was a cool guy.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1253450 - 01/27/03 12:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Jesus comes to us every day. Every day we turn him away...

InvisibleObserver
Stranger

#1254068 - 01/27/03 03:47 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

According to my roommate, who is a Jew, Jesus was just a Jewish priest with progressive ideas. He was a prophet but not the messiah, the Jewish people are still waiting for that bit...

I think that's closer to the truth than what most Christians "image" of Jesus is. A priest? I'm not sure about that, but it seems he existed and is not just a fictional character. He could of traveled to the East in those lost years (12-30?), so I certainly see a Buddhist influence in some of the basic teachings.

Anonymous

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1254101 - 01/27/03 04:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I personally have no problems with him as a matter of fact I like Jezus. The stories in the bible should be read metaphysically and not as real occurances. I have no doubt that he did exist however. A lot of people forget that the bible was written in Hebrew and the some names aren't names what so ever but words with meanings, like Simon the magician. In native Hebrew text it's 'Symion' or 'the dedicated one' something like that. Jezus Christ means 'annoited one' etc. etc. If you are him... I like to condole you with your loss and utter my respects for the ones that stayed behind.

When I logged in I saw that a new user registered under the name 'Ubermensch' I think that says it all doesn't it.

Edited by sNaiLmAil (01/27/03 04:07 PM)

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: Jesus Poll [Re: ]
    #1254151 - 01/27/03 04:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

When I logged in I saw that a new user registered under the name 'Ubermensch' I think that says it all doesn't it.

D'oh!  :wink:

I did not know about that aspect of biblical names... very interesting. 

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1254167 - 01/27/03 04:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think he existed, but I don't know if he was anything more than a mere human. There just isn't enough proof for me to go either way (I'm sounding like one of thoze logic-heads here).

:tongue: 

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Anonymous

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Murex]
    #1254212 - 01/27/03 04:47 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with you Murex. You should really take a look at the biblical names thing it's very intresting. :grin:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1254356 - 01/28/03 04:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

To me, it wouldn't matter if he existed in flesh and bone or as a character in a story... the Catholic church (and the other Christian institutions) doesn't understand him. I think Jesus' life and death (as told in the Bible, New Testament) is modeled after Socrates', but with added hyperbole and a little eastern philosophy (I wouldn't doubt that the original Bible {New Testament} read more like the Gospel of Thomas). I think many of his "miracles" were meant as metaphors. Some of these metaphors are still visible, others have been lost (via perversion) over the centuries.

I've found that Joseph Campbell has alot of interesting things to say about religion... you might want to check him out (The Power of Myth and Myths to Live By are good starting points).

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineVoodoo Doll
curses for allof you

Loc: Nelly Ville
Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Murex]
    #1255985 - 01/28/03 01:59 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hey did you now 'mozes' meant 'child' :grin: 
I'd like to show my respect for the fallen gangstars in MTV. Bobby I hope you'll be okay. Will, my condoleances with your loss. Watch yourself now they'll be coming for you now, you hear.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1256111 - 01/28/03 02:38 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not voting here because I don't like the choices.

"He was a real man, but the stories of his legacy are a bit exaggerated." would be closest to how I'd vote, but the word "bit" would be replaced with "way" and exaggerated would be followed up with "and misinterpreted as the stories were passed on"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineVoodoo Doll
curses for allof you

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Strumpling]
    #1256233 - 01/28/03 03:12 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. I don't agree however with your opinion on way exaggerated. He did built the planet so to speak and is still the biggest influence on the world today.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Voodoo Doll]
    #1256288 - 01/28/03 03:33 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

He did built the planet so to speak and is still the biggest influence on the world today.

If Jesus was the biggest influence on the world today, peace and love would be common virtues, and war would be a lost cause.

OfflineAndytweed
Andytweed

Loc: Colorado
    #1256299 - 01/28/03 03:40 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Personally I think Jesus was just a man born with a mind-altering disease such as paranoid schizophrenia or something. I also think the miracles he "performed" were 75% exaggeration/fabrication and 25% truth. But i would like to know what some of you think as well.

Paranoid schizophrenia wouldn't make him the peaceful loving person that he was know to be, but maybe the stories are all bullshit.

--------------------
All Information posted by me is for entertainment purposes only and should not be attempted in real life!!!

OfflineVoodoo Doll
curses for allof you

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Andytweed]
    #1256341 - 01/28/03 03:59 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Did you ever read the bible? In the new testament he clearly is pro war. Verses like '...the son of man is not here to bring peace, but war...' and '...there will be no more cross overs. The ppl on the top of the hill shouldn't commute with the ppl below...' '...and the beast was thrown back into the pit for a thousand years...'

Invisiblesunyata
nonexistentexistentialist
Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Voodoo Doll]
    #1256459 - 01/28/03 04:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Jesus did not say most of the things attributed to him in the New Testament. These phrases you are quoting were words put in his mouth posthumously by the Disciples, such as Paul, who was himself not much of a "Christian."

The Gospel of Thomas is thought by most scholars to be the closest thing to the actual words of Jesus, and it is MUCH different from most of the teachings attributed to Jesus throughout the New Testament. In the NT, many of the phrases that are supposed to be Jesus' teachings begin with something that Jesus very well may have said, and then end with an explanation that is very much the "interpretation" of the author of the book you are reading. Often these interpretations contradict the essential meaning of Jesus' words, and it is my opinion (not an original one) that the Disciples -- Paul especially -- intentionally misconstrued the man's words. I am sure much of what is written in the New Testament is complete fabrication.

OfflineVoodoo Doll
curses for allof you

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: sunyata]
    #1256478 - 01/28/03 04:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That might be. Still the whole point of the NT is to defeat the metaforically beast.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1256850 - 01/28/03 07:14 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Double-Post! Whoops...

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (01/28/03 09:10 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1256853 - 01/28/03 07:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I believe his parenting had a lot to do with this. His parents convinced many people that they didn't even have sex, so he certainly felt "blessed" from the beginning.

In addition, I'm sure he was definitely a very intelligent, awake, and conscious person, who's teachings and journeys were unfortunately more misinterpreted and distorted as time progressed. This eventually evolved into what I see as a very disgusting exploitation of his life, Christianity.

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Jesus Poll [Re: Strumpling]
    #1256887 - 01/28/03 07:36 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

As I see it right now, Jesus is the most misrepresented man that ever walked the planet. Were I to tell you why, I would merely be assuming the same role as those in the misinformation proliferation game, but perhaps under a different guise.

Whatever the case with "Jesus" may be, anyone taking a solid stance on the subject is most likely delusional.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder