Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Temples of Syrinx, WA Flag
Macrocybe titans as a food crop
    #12534545 - 05/09/10 10:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I know no one is keeping up with my ongoing quest for macrocybe titans, but ive contacted some friends in central florida, and they will be searching for a sample of Macrocybe Titans for a spore print. Ive gotten most of the equipment I needed to attempt this "domestication" (is that the right word?)

The highly elusive paper "The tropical giant mushroom Macrocybe titans is edible and can be cultivated." by Tjakko Stijve was published in Antwerpse Mycologische Kring, a dutch quarterly mushroom publication.

I CAN NOT FIND THIS PAPER. and i want it badly. Ive contacted every friend in major universities, but they dont have this obscure little thing.

Ive tried to find Tjakko Stijve's email, but i have failed at this too. Mycologists tend to be very hard to get a hold of. Anybody with connections out there?

why this is of interest to the shroomery:
if and when a spore sample comes in (and I implore anyone to help get a hold of a print) it will be very large. I'm certainly willing to give out some spores. Is else anyone interested in investigating Macrocybe titans as a food crop?

here is some information to help (taken from Volk's site)

Ecology: Saprobic; growing alone or, more often, gregariously or in clusters in grassy or sandy areas, or in ground disturbed by landscaping (usually in the year after the disturbance to the soil)--or, in Costa Rica, growing from ant colonies; fall and winter; common in northern Florida; tropical and subtropical in distribution.

Cap: 8-100 cm (that's up to one meter); convex, becoming broadly convex or flat; dry; smooth, but sometimes cracking in age or in dry weather; pale yellowish to brownish or buff, often with a pale cinnamon or yellowish center; fading with age to nearly white; the margin inrolled for quite some time.

Gills: Attached to the stem; very crowded; white to grayish or pale brown.

Stem: 6-35 cm long; 1.5-13 cm thick; equal or slightly swollen below; dry; whitish; often with small, bent-back, brownish to whitish scales by maturity.

Flesh: White; firm; not changing on exposure.

Odor: Fragrant or not distinctive.

Spore Print: Creamy.

Microscopic Features: Spores 5.5-7 x 4-5 µ; smooth; broadly ellipsoid, vaguely oval, or nearly round; inamyloid. Pseudocystidia scattered on gill faces; 35-50 x 7-10 µ; with refractive contents in KOH; fusoid to broadly fusoid, or with a long neck; often scarcely projecting. Clamp connections present and conspicuous.

help:How can i post pictures in my posts?

THIS is why i want to cultivate it :laugh:

http://cellar.org/2007/bigassmushroom.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3083/het3iu6.jpg

http://moblog.net/media/d/a/t/dataphage/mushroom-mushroom-mushroom-1.jpg

--------------------
- Saturday

I have a lot of friends in the drug culture. I try to help them out by posting on here, and sometimes they put stuff up without my permission, but I do not condone or commit any acts described.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion"
-Carl Sagan

Anyone have some Macrocybe Titans spores or samples? PM me

Edited by Saturdayraining (05/11/10 05:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: Saturdayraining]
    #12534573 - 05/09/10 10:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I suppose I'll put up what information I've gotten for this under-appreciated project :smile: if only i could cross macrocybe and psilocibe, im sure the shroomery would be all over it.

attached is a paper on the titans.

Species related to M. Titans occasionally contain cyanic compounds, but they can be cooked out.
I'm interested in using the mushrooms more like ground beef than steak. it could be used to make processed mushroom foods.  there is currently an imitation meat out there called quorn made from mycelium of the mold Fusarium Venenatum. M. titans  not only has all the protien of mushrooms but may also have a flavor, unlike aforementioned imitation meat. but flavor can also be taken out, if it turns out to be disagreeable, and just used as a tasteless base, like tofu.

but this is still easier for bulk food than mycelium, since it can be grown by any cultivator and does not require all the complex processes of extracting and processing mold mycelium.

--------------------
- Saturday

I have a lot of friends in the drug culture. I try to help them out by posting on here, and sometimes they put stuff up without my permission, but I do not condone or commit any acts described.

“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion"
-Carl Sagan

Edited by Saturdayraining (05/09/10 10:49 PM)

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #12534984 - 05/10/10 12:03 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Good luck, I want to see what you find. I see that this mushroom is the one from one of my favorite motivators:

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: freespeech]
    #12534988 - 05/10/10 12:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, and to add photos in your post, when you're in the "Post Message" screen, you can click the little photo of a mountain to add an image.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12535017 - 05/10/10 12:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks!
ok, and this post has not taken off- i get more response and discuss it a bit more in this thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12534444/fpart/all/vc/1

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineNeo Mithrandil
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12536060 - 05/10/10 09:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Here's a Mycotopia thread where one guy says he has the paper you're looking for:
http://forums.mycotopia.net/658843-post14.html

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: Neo Mithrandil]
    #12536106 - 05/10/10 09:52 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That post looks to be by the famous Mushroom John, who don't come round here no more :smile:

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12536446 - 05/10/10 11:19 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thanks! that's a new piece to the puzzle. I hadn't seen those pictures of cultivated M. titans yet! exciting

Ive heard of mjshroomer, or mushroom john.

what happened to him? is there any way I can get into contact with him?
someone must surly be in contact with him. would they mind requesting the paper?

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12536582 - 05/10/10 11:58 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ok, it wasn't hard to find out who mjshroomer was- that was apperently the whole problem with him.

funnily enough, I was going to email him anyways! he's the only person with an email (he's very easy to find) that has associated with the author of the paper (I can't spell it). I give him an email then.

anyone with closer ties though, id appreciate the help

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#12536616 - 05/10/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Saturdayraining said:

Ive tried to find Tjakko Stijve's email, but i have failed at this too. Mycologists tend to be very hard to get a hold of. Anybody with connections out there?

I have emailed him in the past and got good responses. 

I disagree that mycologists are hard to email - The only mycologist that I know of that doesn't answer his email is Gartz.  You can often google for the email addresses.

I hope you get the culture.  A lot of people want it.

Quote:

Ive heard of mjshroomer, or mushroom john.

what happened to him? is there any way I can get into contact with him?

PM Man of Knowledge on Mycotopia.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12536908 - 05/10/10 01:16 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I can not find Tjakko Stijve's email. Perhaps you could give it to me?

and I agree that mycologists are very eager to respond to emails and discuss, but they are hard to find in the first place!

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Offlinewbastz
CogumeloHobby
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brazil Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12541809 - 05/11/10 07:32 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Saturdayraining,

I found this email on the Internet and I believe that belongs to the person you are looking for:

tjakko.stijve@bluewin.ch

If you get some spores or even an agar culture of this mushroom , please don´t forget to tell us.

Cheers,

Wilson

Invisiblekoraks
    #12541843 - 05/11/10 07:47 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The original article is most likely written in Dutch, so decide for yourself if it's worthwhile going after it. In any case, since many websites (including the AMK) list a correspondence addres for Dr. Stijve, why not try snail-mail? Otherwise contact the AMK office and ask for the article, they might just send it to you.

Offlineobi
Du Bois
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europa
    #12542318 - 05/11/10 10:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Saturdayraining said:
Antwerpse Mycologische Kring, a dutch quarterly mushroom publication.

Belgian, not dutch.

:psychsplit:

--------------------
To live is to fly

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: obi]
    #12542569 - 05/11/10 11:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yes, it is worthwhile going after it, the *main* things I am looking for are the temperatures, substrates, and humidity levels. I'm sure a translator will be sufficient for me to learn these things. Broken english is a better source of information than nothing.

I found the website for AMK, but I cant find what issue had the paper. I'll have to look more. but, it is a good idea to email AMK directly, they may be accommodating :smile: thanks

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Invisiblekoraks
    #12543294 - 05/11/10 02:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've browsed through the AMK website this afternoon, but didn't find any reference to this particular article by Stijve. I did find a number of book reviews he has published in AMK journals, so he's definitely been a regular contributor.

Btw, if you manage to get your hands on the paper and need some help reading it, be sure to post it here somewhere. There's a few shroomerites who can read Dutch. Incidentally, I'm one of them, and I'd be interested to read about the notes on m. titans cultivation of Dr. Stijve.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: koraks]
    #12544286 - 05/11/10 05:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

alright, I've contacted Tjakko Stijve by email (someone gave it to me) how do I pronounce his name, btw?
I'll keep you posted on his reply.

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Invisiblekoraks
    #12547008 - 05/12/10 04:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, that's a tricky one. The 'ij' does not have an equivalent in English. 'STIGH-vuh' comes close, but doesn't nail it. He'll understand, though. As a Swiss-based former Nestlé R&D employee, he's probably used to his name being manhandled in abominable manners.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: koraks] * 1
    #12564283 - 05/14/10 08:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, stijve has emailed me back. And I've got the paper! it's in my journal, along with other pertinent papers about M. Titans.

he has not done any cultivation of it, but believe that the Kanebo Silk Co. may have done it.
I will be contacting them next.

There are some tantalizing photos of Maria Angela Amazonas and Maria Lúcia Ferreira holding M. titans, but I dont know if they are wild or cultivated.

The nutritional analysis in the paper looks VERY promising, and the mushroom apparently even tastes good! it can be eaten raw or fresh with no ill effects, and does not need a symbiotic plant, able to grow well without mycorrizeal plants or trees.
Two other Macrocybes, M. gigantea and M. crassa are good edibles, and raised commercially.

just read the paper.

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Offlinekwame616
Slipstreamer
 User Gallery

#12566150 - 05/15/10 06:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this is pretty awesome and does seem to have tremendous potential as a nutritious food source. Thanks for your work looking into this and best wishes finding some cultures. I would like to pursue cultivating this as well when my living situation is more stable

--------------------
"When a decision is made to cope with the symptoms of a problem, it is generally assumed that the corrective measures will solve the problem itself. They seldom do. Engineers cannot seem to get this through their heads. These countermeasures are all based on too narrow a definition of what is wrong. Human measures and countermeasures proceed from limited scientific truth and judgment. A true solution can never come about in this way."
-Masanobu Fukuoka

"The path of experience is nowhere settled."

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: kwame616]
    #12568458 - 05/15/10 05:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Good luck with your search and if you are successful in obtaining genetics let us know. I would pursue some trials to further the domestication efforts..

Myc be with you

Mycoelf

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

:aliendance::aliendance::wicca::aliendance::aliendance::pipesmoke:

OfflinesulobaiD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: mycoelf]
    #12569584 - 05/15/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Might you be able to upload said paper? PM

--------------------
" I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. " H.S.T.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: sulobaiD]
    #12570484 - 05/15/10 11:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the paper is availible in my journal, along with another on macrocybe. there are more m. titans related material to be posted, and I will be posting them there, to keep track of them.

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Edited by Saturdayraining (05/16/10 01:25 PM)

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12573128 - 05/16/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It turns out kanebo silk co changed to kracie holdings in 2006, a japanese based, very diverse company. The scientist who worked for kanebo (but no longer does) and apparently cultivated m. titans was named Marci Gonzales. Stjakko says that there is not documentation about her grow, though, so I need to contact her directly. Marci has been very difficult to find in relation to the company or otherwise. I have contacted Kracie, and asked if they would give me contact information.

if anyone can find out anything about this woman, let me know- it is the next step in the trail.

There are several points I'd like to bring up:
. There is no Common name for M. titans. We need to come up with one. I'm tired of repeating the scientific name in informal contexts. not a big deal, but come one, throw out some Ideas. my cousin calls it "My monster" and i've been referring to it as Big Ass Mushroom, but I need some ideas.

also, I need as much help gathering samples as I can. anyone in florida, the northern part south america, or maybe even the Caribbean islands. I implore you to help me! I will gladly distribute spores when I get them to fruit , but I need to begin a culture before I do anything. I've called all available relatives and friends in these areas, but it is not a very common mushroom, and the more eyes, the better.

Thanks for all the support, guys!

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Invisiblekoraks
    #12573749 - 05/16/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

We'll have to dub it the 'steroid mushroom' I guess.

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: koraks]
    #12573804 - 05/16/10 03:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I bet it's sclerotia are super small!

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12574056 - 05/16/10 04:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Attention, there is now a boner inducing gallery of M. titans in my journal, the largest compilation dedicated to M. titans on the web. I found many other photos from that famous one of that hispanic holding the giant titans specimen. So have fun.

did you know...

Titans in greek mythology were confused with the Gigantes, and led to words like "titanic" and "macrocybe titans" to mean "very large".  While this is a misnomer, the actual Gigantes were the children of Gaia, the earth. So it would be much more appropriate to call a big a mushroom a child of the earth, no? maybe we can find an interesting common name in one of the gigantes mythology.

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

OfflineSaturdayraining
Wendigo
Male User Gallery

#12580162 - 05/17/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

RESPONSE FROM KRACIE:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for contacting us, Kracie Holdings, Ltd.
I am responding to your email dated 17 May,2010, in which you have asked us for the way of contacting the person you mentioned.

We are sorry to announce that we withdrew from the silk and agritech business years ago; therefore, it would be no longer possible to help you either  find the person you are lookingh for or provide the possible contact email address.

We regret not being able to be of your help.

:frown:
ive also contacted tjakko stijve again about marci gonzales, but no response yet.

--------------------
- Saturday

-Carl Sagan

Offlinecameal
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW, Canada
    #15255058 - 10/21/11 12:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This person just found some m. titans if you are still looking...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15253468/gonew/1#UNREAD

--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

OfflineTexasTitans
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: Saturdayraining]
    #21937366 - 07/13/15 01:38 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I have Titans under mg house in Texas!

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: TexasTitans]
    #21939361 - 07/13/15 09:21 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Aloha sells it though you probably already know that and dont want to spend the $$ http://www.alohaculturebank.com/MacrocybetitansAM1.html#.VaR-KflViko

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #23572574 - 08/24/16 11:24 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Saturdayraining said:

This one is surely Termitomyces, no?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: cosmicaug]
    #23572723 - 08/24/16 12:37 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cosmicaug said:
Quote:

Saturdayraining said:

Definitely Termitomyces.

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #23579233 - 08/26/16 10:11 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

cosmicaug said:
Quote:

Saturdayraining said:

Definitely Termitomyces.

I thought that the shape of the stipe might be diagnostic. I watched some videos by some mycologist in Goa that discussed Termitomyces and it seems that, unlike most mushrooms, these mushrooms develop primordia deep underground and then send carpophores upward through the soil which broaden (to form a recognizable mushroom) only where they meet the soil surface. This seems to be exactly the sort of morphology that you see in that picture.

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #23579250 - 08/26/16 10:14 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

cosmicaug said:
Quote:

Saturdayraining said:

Definitely Termitomyces.

Alan, you are at Counter Culture Labs, aren't you?

Offlineinvitro

#23580863 - 08/26/16 05:05 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

'starship mushroom'
'elephant mushroom'
'cloud city mushroom'

??

:popcorn:

Offlineinvitro

Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: invitro]
    #23581454 - 08/26/16 07:35 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Shameless marketing names:
white tiger mushroom
white chocolate mushroom

other names:
Moonlight mushroom
Iceberg mushroom

crazy names:
mothership mushroom
the mushroom formerly known as macrocybe titans

OfflineChk
Reverser
Male User Gallery

Loc: France
    #23582727 - 08/27/16 08:16 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

If you're interested, i'll buy soon(we're talking 3-4 month here) some culture from Aloha.
In my list was the Macrocybe Titan AM1.

i'll be happy to trade it if you want.

--------------------

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: Chk]
    #23608083 - 09/03/16 01:41 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chk said:
If you're interested, i'll buy soon(we're talking 3-4 month here) some culture from Aloha.

That would be good with me (or just shipping & materials or whatever).

I decided to subculture the one spore plate (it had something that could have been the desired fungus —though I suspected otherwise) and the one cloned plate that had growth (three plates of each).

The spore plate was contaminated and all I accomplished was to subculture the contaminant.

The subcultured plate was starting to show what I thought might be contamination and it looks like I got to it just in time. It looks pretty hopeless now but one of the subcultured plates is growing and looks clean.

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: Chk]
    #23623920 - 09/07/16 09:50 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chk said:

Oh, now I feel silly!

You were asking me (and others) if I might be interested in buying with you. I thought you were asking about the possibility of buying from me.

Embarrassed. :blush:

As it turns out, I might have some cultures available. I guess part of my mind thought I was in other threads where I mentioned having gained access to a specimen. See Mushroom presumptively identified as Macrocybe titans (Orlando area).

OfflineChk
Reverser
Male User Gallery

Loc: France
Re: Macrocybe titans/ do you know Tjakko Stijve? [Re: cosmicaug]
    #23624783 - 09/08/16 05:38 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

No problem :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #23720591 - 10/08/16 08:26 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Tricholoma titans, a new record for Taiwan

Taiwan? How did that happen?

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #23732494 - 10/12/16 09:04 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Looking at Saturdayraining's journal at https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12573856#12573856 I find the following passage interesting:
Quote:

Scientific investigations of its composition and nutritional properties are now carried out by Angela Amazonas at EMBRAPA FLORESTAS, a research institute dealing with forestry, in collaboration with the present author. The results obtained sofar would indicate that M. titans is exempt of the classic mushroom toxins as muscarine, amatoxins and orellanins. It does not even contain  hydrocyanic acid, which is abundantly produced by its cousin M. gigantea.

The specimen I had access to actually had an odor of almonds. This odor is not mentioned in the 1980 Bigelow & Kimbrough paper describing the species but it is mentioned in the book Common Florida Mushrooms by James Kimbrough (see http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/43929943 ).

I wonder if that indicates geographic variation regarding the presence of hydrocyanic compounds or if it is simply the case that the odor comes from the presence of compounds like benzyl aldehyde instead (as is apparently the case in some other mushrooms with this smell).

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
    #23743069 - 10/16/16 04:23 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cosmicaug said:
Alan, you are at Counter Culture Labs, aren't you?

I am in Mexico at the moment, but I do a lot of work there when I am in the USA.  I'll be teaching some DNA sequencing classes there this winter and leading mushroom hunts.  I usually schedule the DNA classes for after the mushroom hunts so if we find anything unusual on the hunt we can sequence it.

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #24449925 - 07/01/17 03:05 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Here's an old article which mentions Macrocybe titans in passing.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/huge-mushrooms-found-in-kalaheo/article_2c3bc724-0ccb-5e5c-8795-61071729937b.html

Noteworthy to me is the mention of high cyanide content:
Quote:

...  unfortunately for Silva, Hemmes advised him not to eat the huge fungus.
"The most important point may be that if you smell the mushrooms, especially when you break them open, there is an odor of cyanide. Most people would probably not recognize that odor," the biologist said.
"M titans and M. spectabilis have more cyanide than all the other members of the genus," he said, but people do eat them.

I am not sure I believe it. The one article referenced by Saturdayraining specifically mentions testing for cyanide being negative. Macrocybe titans definitely has a bitter almonds smell to it (I have, again, had the chance to look at some specimens this last week) but assuming that the report of the testing was accurate I would expect it more likely that the smell is due to benzaldehyde (which produces this smell in some members of the genus Agaricus —and is used by cooks as artificial almond flavoring).

The professor mentioned in the article would appear to be the person at https://hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/cas/DonHemmesBio.php. Maybe I'll write to him and ask for references.

OfflineLennybernadino
Amazon grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iquitos, Peru
    #24451343 - 07/02/17 05:27 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Does Magrocybe titans taste almondy like in some Agarici?

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #24452440 - 07/02/17 04:10 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cosmicaug said:
Here's an old article which mentions Macrocybe titans in passing.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/huge-mushrooms-found-in-kalaheo/article_2c3bc724-0ccb-5e5c-8795-61071729937b.html

Noteworthy to me is the mention of high cyanide content:
Quote:

...  unfortunately for Silva, Hemmes advised him not to eat the huge fungus.
"The most important point may be that if you smell the mushrooms, especially when you break them open, there is an odor of cyanide. Most people would probably not recognize that odor," the biologist said.
"M titans and M. spectabilis have more cyanide than all the other members of the genus," he said, but people do eat them.

I am not sure I believe it. The one article referenced by Saturdayraining specifically mentions testing for cyanide being negative. Macrocybe titans definitely has a bitter almonds smell to it (I have, again, had the chance to look at some specimens this last week) but assuming that the report of the testing was accurate I would expect it more likely that the smell is due to benzaldehyde (which produces this smell in some members of the genus Agaricus —and is used by cooks as artificial almond flavoring).

The professor mentioned in the article would appear to be the person at https://hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/cas/DonHemmesBio.php. Maybe I'll write to him and ask for references.

I would also note that it should not be considered odd at all if Florida specimens were actually quite different from, for example, Costa Rica specimens and if those were in turn quite different from Brazil specimens. The Tjakko Stijve articles are reporting on some Brazil specimens that some company tried to grow years ago. It could be the case that the Brazil specimens are cyanide free whereas Florida specimens are not. In fact, the two could be, for all practical purposes, the same species in name only.

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Macrocybe titans as a food crop [Re: Lennybernadino]
    #24452454 - 07/02/17 04:19 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

If they have that culture in Hilo let me know. Ask what they want for it. Hilo is right down the road and maybe I could go pick up a sample.

Invisiblecosmicaug
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #24452527 - 07/02/17 04:53 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

It is also notable that the popular press article mentioning high cyanide content in Macrocybe titans is dated before the Stijve article.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates