Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Um semi-new casing variation, thoughts?
    #1252943 - 01/27/03 11:39 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, I had a dream, and in it I made a casing out of a 6X6 inch rectangular rubbermaid container. At the very bottom I put wet perlite into the container. Next, I took a large sheet of seran wrap and poked several holes in it with a needle. Finally, I broke up a cake and put it on the wrap evenly, and placed a lid on the container.

I---------- I
I \ / I
I \------/ I
I XXXXX I
I----------I

In this diagram, the X's are the perlite layer, and then above this is the broken up cake suspended above this layer with seran wrap with holes for humidity and air circulation and drainage. How does this sound?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
Re: Um semi-new casing variation, thoughts? [Re: biglo]
    #1253121 - 01/27/03 12:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

uhmmmm where is the casing layer. I think you should read the FAQ since you only plan on putting perlite on bottom.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

OfflineBC-Shroom
Evil Genius inTraining

Loc: BC, Canada
    #1253161 - 01/27/03 12:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ya, where is the top layer?
Why do you want to use seran wrap ? Just to suspend the cakes above the casing layer ?(if I understud you corectly, it is not really casing)
Peace
BC

--------------------
I regret to say that we of the F.B.I. are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. - J. Edgar Hoover

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #1254407 - 01/28/03 07:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, I don't think I explained it very well. I have a jar that is about halfway colonized and it appears that there is a contam on it. It is colonized only on one side and there is some contam growing in a small spot on the other side. Rather than risk contams spreading in the jar, I thought I would take a chance by trying to case it. However, I have a few variations. The main problem with casings seem to be A.) They dry out B.) They get too wet on the bottom. What I wanted to do was use a tupperware container with the sides covered with aluminum foil for the casing.

I was going to put a wet layer of perlite with H202 added for the very bottom layer. Next, I would take a piece of seran wrap, and poke holes in it. I would put this above the perlite layer an inch or so, so that it doesn't come into direct contact with the bottom perlite. layer. With the holes in it, the excess water could drip out, as well as humidity from the bottom layer keep the bottom moist but not too moist. (I believe that some kind of nylon netting would work better (like pantyhose) because it is non nutritive and more porous than seran wrap with holes in it.)
I would then crumble up the cake after cutting off the contamed part, and spread the crumbled cake over the seran wrap. I would then put a small layer of perlite over the top layer, cover the darn thing, and mist every now and then. The benefits of this method is cakes should keep good, even humidity, and excess moisture wont collect at the bottom, and can be drained if need be. Thoughts?

PS I know perlite isn't recommended as a top casing layer, but its all I got.
PPS should I try and dunk my partially colonized cake with water and peroxide after I cut off contams to be safe or not?

Offlinediggitydankman

#1254435 - 01/28/03 07:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Actually I have just used perlite and peatmoss in a casing over straw and it is starting to look very good. So in respects to the perlite on top it will work. However, your cake is contaminated and you should just throw it out unless you have nothing else growing. If this is the case give it a shot, just make sure you have not contam in the rest of the jars.

--------------------
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Offlinemyco_holic
mycologicalexplorer
Loc: SoCal
    #1254443 - 01/28/03 07:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

dont do it.....just go with straight verm until you understand the dynamics of a casing and why it is used.....After a successful couple of flushes then you can try your cockamamy ideas....

heres why....

1. Perlite does not retain water live vermiculite does.So basically all your setup would do is make your crumbled cake really moist. And humid.

2. You dont need to make your casing more humid...Well, If you do a casing layer properly humidiity should be the least of your problems

i can go on and on and on but im at school now. But i just wanted to say your plan wont work tooo well.And you would be better off trying to cut the contamed portion and trying to fruit it as a cake

--------------------
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Jack Handey.

Offlinediggitydankman

Re: Um semi-new casing variation, thoughts? [Re: myco_holic]
    #1254490 - 01/28/03 07:31 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

heres why....

1. Perlite does not retain water live vermiculite does.So basically all your setup would do is make your crumbled cake really moist. And humid.

Exactly. If mushrooms are made from 90% or so water what do you think will make them grow better than anything. Perlite works by concentrating more water into the substrate layer because it is warmer in the substrate and evaporation occurs more quickly. I will post pictures of my perlite casing when they are developed and you can see.

--------------------
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation