Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZoekend
Stranger
Loc: NL
Santo Daime anyone?
    #2764251 - 06/04/04 05:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hey all ...

I recently found out that there's a Santo Daime church in my backyard (The Hague), and have been really interested to check it out -- not just because of the ayahuasca, but because of the actual church/spiritual stuff.

I've found a bunch of different descriptions of what an aya trip can be like, but I don't know much about the church itself ... I've read up on some of the ceremonies, but I just wanted to hear a firsthand account ...

So, anyone here a part of Santo Daime?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: Zoekend]
    #2764594 - 06/04/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nope.  Had some great experiences with Aya, however.  :smile:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2766458 - 06/05/04 02:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

such churches exist in my surroundings too and i am often invited to the sessions and have talked to many people that go there frequently. there is the chanting of icaros and the dance, if i'm not mistaken its like two steps to the left and then two to the right. yeah, silly perhaps. but one person told me that the dance was the 'powerful thing'...
the icaros are pretty much catholic in their context, received and written down by the creator of the daime church.
i have never gone to a session but perhaps i might take a try one day...

FH

OfflineZoekend
Stranger
Loc: NL
Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: felixhigh]
    #2766940 - 06/05/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks a lot for the input felix ... it's much appreciated.

I've found myself surprisingly intrigued by the Catholic structure and symbolism ... maybe part of it is a fear of cultural imperialism (I've always found Buddhism an interesting philosophy, but can't ever shake the feeling that a lot of the west has reduced it to kitsch) ... and so I feel more 'entitled' to a Christ-based approach, while still getting a very different perspective from the mainline. weird, I guess ...

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

#2767041 - 06/05/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i believe it's catholic background comes from the daime religion creator himself, mr irineu, has grown under a catholic and supersitious society before going to the amazon and getting in touch with the drink...
actually, thats mostly what keeps me away from such churches, i'm not catholic so i fear to feel a bit misplaced (if this word exists)...

FH

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: felixhigh]
    #12521114 - 05/07/10 07:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

felixhigh said:
actually, thats mostly what keeps me away from such churches, i'm not catholic so i fear to feel a bit misplaced (if this word exists)...

Those happen to be my current sentiments. I feel much more resonant with pure animism and don't hold much for the Christian connection. Are there places in the Netherlands that have rituals that are based more on the practices of the South American Amazon, where the focus of an initiated shaman and the spirit of the rain forest is more pronounced?

--------------------

Offlinepsyindra
no-thing
 User Gallery

Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #12523308 - 05/07/10 05:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I've had quite a lot of experience and know many people involed in this church being that i live 3doors down from a santo daime secret church. Having been experienced in the use of the "santo daime brew" (which is ayahuasca) in south america with shamans before coming in contact with the church i have a look in from both sides.

I have a few issues with the church having experienced it from the inside:

Firstly within the church they do not refer to their brew as ayahuasca its is called "santo daime" and if you ask anyone in the church if it is in fact ayah they are not willing to openly admit it, which i found just plain weird. In fact they will not even admit its origins as a shamanic tool of the south American amazon, so if you entered into this organization with no prior knowledge of ayah you would be lead to believe that they in fact discovered this brew threw guess who...Jesus.

Next is dosages, so this is another thing i have an issue with..low doses, that right they only give you enough to get you half way there. Now having done it properly in south America with shamans and also with the church i can say all they are giving are party dose's or in their case i would call a "brainwashing dose". What do i mean by this...well anyone with any background in the use of psychedelics to reprogram the human condition will know that using psychedelics and then exposing yourself to new paradigms in the state will make it much more probable you will absorb this into you consciousness. So ya first they hammer you with propaganda videos about santo daime then they "slighty" dose you up and bombard you with blah blah about Jesus and you sing songs about Jesus etc while you all dress in white and hold hands and shit...i have to say not my scene so much.

i guess on the good side they are quite a nice bunch of people and much more centered than your average Christians. If your looking for a religion they gets you high.. then i would say go for it but your looking for the true essence of the ayah brew i would be looking for a shaman in south America or even do it at home where you can do a proper dose to get the benefits from that.

hope this helps

Edited by psyindra (05/07/10 05:10 PM)

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: psyindra]
    #12526087 - 05/08/10 06:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It sure does. Thanks for your input. I don't think the Santo Daime church is the type of setting i'm looking for. I mean, all the jazz looks too scripted for me. May work for some, but not for others. I think I will wait for my opportunity to have this experience in the most traditional and original context, I believe that is within the shamanistic cultures of the Amazon.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: psyindra]
    #12526092 - 05/08/10 06:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How did you go about experiencing ayahuasca in South America? Did you sign up for one of many retreats, or did you just fly out there and search on your own?

--------------------

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
    #12532118 - 05/09/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

There is a vast difference between Daime and Ayahuasca.

There are Daimistas who take both but they are totally different. I have a roadman in my branch of the Native American Church who is also a Daimista. He says the two are not the same thing.

anyone looking to get into the Daime needs to read this first.

http://www.forums.ayahuasca.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=21902&sid=7d0f98d9142daacea7cb7aa83ab4644b

--------------------

Offlinejben
Don't panic, it's organic
 User Gallery

Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #12532542 - 05/09/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I first saw this church on Nat Geo's Taboo. Really cool shit. I cannot even believe they gave aya to young children, infants in fact. I am not part of the church, but for legal issues, (within the US) many aya users might claim they are.

A really crazy sect of christianity if you ask me.

--------------------
Don't panic, it's organic!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #12532688 - 05/09/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
How did you go about experiencing ayahuasca in South America? Did you sign up for one of many retreats, or did you just fly out there and search on your own?

Just go to Iquitos and then explore around from there. There is an overprices ayahuasca conference in the early Summer in iquitos which will put you in touch with many healers...

However, i would recommend browsing around the ayahuasca.com forums and buying a plane ticket to Lima and then transferring to Iquitos and shopping around for a month or so, seeing whose setting/ceremonies/medicine works best for you.

I never had enough time to "shop around" and went with Percy Garcia out of iquitos. While i left satisfied, i found his medicine to be more purgative, than visual ...

PS: i heard its best to get in touch with the Shipibo people.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Edited by PDU (05/09/10 04:39 PM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Santo Daime anyone? [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #12533861 - 05/09/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Daime is Ayahuasca, but Ayahuasca is *not* Daime.

Many people confuse them both.

Daime and UniĆ£o do Vegetal churches are full of hipocresy.

FH

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom