Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

weather and moods
    #1251268 - 01/26/03 07:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

From late spring all the way to late fall, I am the happiest person alive. I love going outside and not having to hustle about cuz it's cold... I love the sunshine and the way it makes me feel... Also, I usually seem to have somebody during these times. My skin is tanned, but not too dark, I use strong sunscreen, and my acne seems to almost vanish. I seem to lay off the drugs, I never pop pills during summer,(my pills of choice are downers, xanax and codeine and such) I just smoke, and not very much, and usually at night... I don't like being high and going outside in the heat. My appetite is geared towards more fruits and vegetables, in small amounts, and I have so much positive energy, like I can't stop smiling. I find that I thank God for everyday I'm given to live during these times.

Then winter rears its ugly head, and I'm depressed and cry a lot. I can't stand to go outside because it's cold and overcast, no sunshine. just gloomy clouds, and it gets dark so early. My appetite is now geared towards meat and cheese, anything greasy and hearty, and it seems like I'm never full enough. I'm always cold... well the only time I'm warm is in bed... and bed is where I wanna stay... my skin is white and pasty, and my acne is at it's worst. I have such a negative outlook and I find it hard to smile... I'm sure weeks go by and I don't even have a good a laugh... I find during these times I don't even pray... like I'm not speaking to God cuz I'm being put through this...

Does anyone think that maybe I should move further south to a warmer year-round climate?? Or do you think it's all in my head and I should just deal with it... Either way, I don't think I can handle one more depressing winter.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: weather and moods [Re: wyldtouch69]
    #1251340 - 01/26/03 07:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Don't go south, the humidity will make your summers miserable. I'd head west... But I probably say that 'cause I'm already there.

You're describing Seasonal Affective Disorder. They sell these fancy lightboxes, seems a tad quacky, but you can get the same effect closing your eyes and sticking your face in a lamp for a few minutes.

Resets your melatonin, I believe? Anyway, give it a try.

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: weather and moods [Re: Xibalba]
    #1251393 - 01/26/03 08:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yes, the south is very humid and hot. With lots of bug. But it is still fun as hell. I say tough it out. Winter can't always be bad, you can go snow skiing, snowboarding and other snow activities. well except where i am at...where winter it just gets cold and wet, never snow. damn southern winters

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Anonymous

#1251479 - 01/26/03 08:41 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Put your face in front of a florescent light source for 15 minutes a day!

They sell "shop lights" for 7-15 dollars at hardware stores complete with bulbs.  Place your face about 1 foot away.

The light boxes already mentioned are very expensive. (as much as 400 dollars)

Try this and get back to us! :smile:

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#1251515 - 01/26/03 09:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

seasonal depression... mine just kicked in a week or two ago. it doesn't seem as bad as last year, but i was having serious personal issues last year.  :crazy: 

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1251530 - 01/26/03 09:13 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I can definately relate to the change in diet you experience. I eat mainly fruit and veggies in the spring/summer then find myself naturaly drawn to heavier foods such as meat, cheese and carbohydrates in the colder months.......i don't know why this is but i find my mood stays consistantly buoyant throughout these extreme dietary shifts :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1251722 - 01/26/03 11:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

wint'ah hee'ah in maine.

for the most part I am with you... fuckin season just makes the air feel dead, and locks me up in my bedroom, and I get bored as hell, which sometimes leads to dark depressive states. I've had my head buzzing thinking of projects and things to keep me busy. Guitar and videogames are about my only lifeline through those periods.

However, I do believe in the beautiful side to everything and sometimes I catch glimpses of it while walking in the negative degree streets at night. for a couple hours it is a beautiful winter wonderland that I have all to myself.

ive been gradually enjoying warm weather seasons alot more, and i've never felt this anxious for spring before. ive made an oath to go outside and just run through the streets every day just because I can.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1252194 - 01/27/03 05:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It's called seasonal affective disorder. It sucks.  :crazy:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: weather and moods [Re: Murex]
    #1252220 - 01/27/03 05:12 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Seasonal affective disorder? I've known it as bi-polar disorder -same thing basically. Your mood swings with the seasons. Formerly known as manic depressive ...

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Anonymous

Re: weather and moods [Re: nubious]
    #1252237 - 01/27/03 05:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

SAD and bi-polarity are two completely different disorders.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: weather and moods [Re: ]
    #1252291 - 01/27/03 05:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I heartily endorse joining the Israeli-based MOSAD (Men Overcoming Seasonal Affective Disorder).

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1252384 - 01/27/03 06:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I get SAD very bad as well.  It's been especially bad for me lately because it hasn't stopped snowing where I live for about a week now, and I haven't seen blue sky or green grass in forever!  :crazy:

I think SAD is something that affects just about everyone, actually.  I mean, who can't help but be happier in the spring when things start growing and everything smells so crisp and clear?  Or in the summer when the sun bathes you in its warm, golden rays?

The winter is just a very depressing season.  The snow and cold limits what you are able to do.  Outdoor exercise is nearly impossible.  The freezing temperatures can be painful and just plain suck!  Air pollution in houses gets very bad during the winter due to closed windows.  Colds and sickness run rampant.  There is very little sun-on-skin contact, which is necessary to produce a certain vitamin in your body that helps keep you healthy.

My acne also gets a lot worse in the winter, which can help attribute to the SAD a little bit.  There's probably a lot of reasons for this.  One could be the diet change.  I also tend to eat more fruits and veggies in the summer and a lot more fatty and greasy foods during the winter.  I think this is a natural change that most people go through. 

Fresh fruits and veggies are crisp and refreshing, which is nice to have during the hot summer months.  Plus they make a light meal.  People don't like to eat a lot when it's very warm out because a full stomach can make you very lethargic.  On the other hand, we like to eat a lot during winter to make sure our bodies always have fuel to burn to make energy and keep us warm.  And perhaps the fatty, greasy foods cut down on the SAD a little bit because they taste so good! :smile:

Anyway... SAD is definitely a very real and sucky thing!  It's hard not to feel depressed when you look through your closed window and see 2 feet of snow on the ground and snow still falling.  Or when you're walking to and from classes and your face goes numb from the biting cold, your nose is running like a faucet, and your toes hurt because they're so cold.  And also because of the fact that we are forced to spend most of our time cooped up indoors with little to no physical activity, breathing the dirty air in our homes.

But there are some things I've found that help with the SAD.  I've never tried that light thing that people mentioned, but I have found some other things that help.  One thing that really helps me is to go to the indoor pool on campus and swim for a while.  The exercise really makes me feel great!  I also like to read a lot of books during the winter, as it lets me escape into an alternate reality away from the cold and snow of my own.  One last thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I like to make myself nice meals and really sit down and take the time to enjoy them instead of just shoving food in my mouth for the sake of eating something.  It just makes me feel good for some reason.  Oh, and warm, steaming coffee can be very nice, too!  And I always burn incense b/c I think it just gives a happy, peaceful feeling to my apartment.

Hope those things help!  Moving just seems like a drastic thing to do, in my opinion.  Although sometimes I'm sure that a change of scenery and environment can be the best thing for a person to do!  Good luck!

Love and Light,

-RebelSteve

P.S.  Mr_Mushrooms was very correct when he said that SAD and bipolar disorder are two very different things. 

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck