Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: memes]
    #12577686 - 05/17/10 07:23 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
So are you going to finally admit you're just another TUF noob?

You have not come across as anything but obscenely immature throughout this thread.  Nobody thinks your cool with your expert MMA history knowledge and thorough devotion to Rua.  Release your grip on his nutsack please.

+1 for smug control

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103216

Edited by makaveli8x8 (05/17/10 07:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #12578564 - 05/17/10 12:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

its not a matter of being smug

its a matter of idiots who think like they know what they're talking about when they clearly don't.

Most people who watch the sport nowadays are fucking noobs, yet the prideful ones are too stubborn to admit it.

It's like....if you followed a band before they were famous, and you went to all their small pub shows for years and years. And then all of a sudden they release a hit single and become world famous, and everyone starts talking about them.  And all you hear is all of them proclaiming to have followed that band when they were still underground.  Going to a concert and sifting through legions of high school hipsters and teeny boppers.

That's what it's like.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #12578943 - 05/17/10 01:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
So are you going to finally admit you're just another TUF noob?

You have not come across as anything but obscenely immature throughout this thread.  Nobody thinks your cool with your expert MMA history knowledge and thorough devotion to Rua.  Release your grip on his nutsack please.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: Heffy]
    #12578966 - 05/17/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Weren't you the one trying to proclaim you've been in the sport for 8 years?

What happened to that?

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineTesla
VP of Wilfred Brimley Fanclub

Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #12579023 - 05/17/10 01:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm really glad our school doesn't purvey this meaningless huffing and puffing and discourages entering MMA competitions..

The only thing worse than a rude uncontrolled MMA competitor is a rude armchair quarterback of the martial arts.. Out of curiosity do any of you actually actively practice or pursue a specific martial art?

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: Tesla]
    #12579169 - 05/17/10 01:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What bugs me is the lack of respect for the history of the sport, and how its evolved over the past two decades.

It's stupid to assume that just because someone pays money to train in a gym, they all of a sudden have a validated scope of the whole history of the sport. 

People who play high school football don't magically all of a sudden know more than someone like John Clayton or Eric Carabell.

Like I said before, we live in a society where its looked down upon for people to be ignorant in a sport.  Which is why so many people try to act like experts, despite not following MMA until everyone jumped on the bandwagon in 2005.

If you admit to being newer to the sport, that's fine, its modest and its honest.

But to claim you know more than others because you pay money to train in a gym, is just nonsensical. 

People are just too proud to admit to their own ignorance.

--------------------

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#12579396 - 05/17/10 02:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

In my opinion, a true participant (or former) of any said sport will more often than not have a greater understanding of the dynamics and nuances of the competition than any historian or commentator, no matter how long an understudy of the game.

This being even more prevalent in a solo sport such as boxing (or mma) where strategy is executed alone and responsiblity lies in the hands of one - a sharp contrast to the piecemeal actions of teams where the resulting sum of efforts is greater than its parts and the structuring of these efforts is skillset that can exist outside of the physical aspects of the contest.

That said, a $30 skull shirt and a boxercise pass does not make one a 'fuckin' fighter.

Edited by Noetical (05/17/10 02:34 PM)

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: Noetical]
    #12579503 - 05/17/10 02:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Im not disagreeing with that point.

But I'm saying you should have both.  People who justify training without any respect or history of the lore, and somehow think that this adaquately suffices and validates their knowledge, is just egostistical.

Anyone who really devotes themselves to being a true student of a sport spends as much time studying the history, the evolution, and the pioneers of that sport, as much as they train in it.

The difference is that all other mainstream sports (football basketball baseball, boxing) have been in the limelight for generations. 

There's never been a new sport that's completely blown up recently like the way MMA has.

Which is why its so easy for people to pretend like they're experts and have others believe them.  Yet when they actually get called out on their knowledge by people who've followed martial arts devoutely for a long time, they just crumble and cry about elitism.

It's just a simple matter of people trying to act like experts and justifying their knowledge based off minimal accolades (i.e. training in a gym).

--------------------

OfflineTesla

#12581642 - 05/17/10 08:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Coming from someone who placed second in my weight class among all surrounding school districts my first year of high-school wrestling 7th in state my senior year and actively pursued a martial art after I graduated taking two private classes a week..

Nothing makes an amateur active participant of a sport or activity like myself laugh harder than an impassioned entitled  expert spectator of it..

Your contribution and knowledge of a combat sport you obviously don't pursue actively means jack shit and isn't worth respecting.. because from the sound of it you never got off your ass and applied that knowledge directly..

It's not like your a scholar of an educational subject or something your a sports SPECTATOR.. congrats asshole..

Edited by Tesla (05/17/10 08:40 PM)

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #12581705 - 05/17/10 08:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
Most people who watch the sport nowadays are fucking noobs, yet the prideful ones are too stubborn mature to admit it care.

Fixed.

What you need to realize is that whether or not these people have any fucking clue as to what they're talking about should not have any effect on your ability to enjoy the sport you love.  If they're up there fighting because they love it, and the fans (real or fake) are there because they love it (for real or fake reasons), and the fighters enjoy putting on a show --- then where's the bad?

Just grow up.  Get off your high horse.  You'd be better off just not replying.  Everything you've said so far has been a perpetuating :facepalm:

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#12584603 - 05/18/10 09:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:

What you need to realize is that whether or not these people have any fucking clue as to what they're talking about should not have any effect on your ability to enjoy the sport you love.  If they're up there fighting because they love it, and the fans (real or fake) are there because they love it (for real or fake reasons), and the fighters enjoy putting on a show --- then where's the bad?

The bad is in people who try to act like they know what they're talking about when they don't.  I've already said this.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#12584873 - 05/18/10 10:38 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tesla said:
Coming from someone who placed second in my weight class among all surrounding school districts my first year of high-school wrestling 7th in state my senior year and actively pursued a martial art after I graduated taking two private classes a week..

Just because you enjoyed hugging and embracing other sweaty half-naked teenage boys in high school, doesn't mean you magically know everything about the history of MMA.

And it's also sad that you assume you're the only one on Earth who trains in martial arts.

--------------------

OfflineTesla

#12585500 - 05/18/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I never stated I knew anything about MMA because I don't even like it let alone know much about it.. For someone who's racked up 20k posts here I'd figured you would have learned how to effectively read one..

I'm a fan of pure martial arts sparring and lighter arts such as Tai Chi and Budo.

I stated as an active participant in combat sports I wouldn't piss on you and your spectating expertise to put out a napalm fire.

In so many words I also stated that it's pretty much a given that a fagot who clings to this level of elitism for simply knowing about a sport really deserves no respect on any basic level for his knowledge and probably should get good at something besides watching other people be good at something.

I also never claimed to be the only person on this forum to practice martial arts I doubt I'm even good comparably to some forum members but something tells me a dude with "SaggyBalls" in his info that retard from kitchen stadium as an avatar plus 20k posts and this level of entitled rage over being "A really good sports spectator" couldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.

Not that placing in the top ten for my weight class in my state my senior year makes me Jackie Chan but something tells me it beat your fucking childhood..

Hope I cleared up how much of a fucking moron I think you are...

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#12585519 - 05/18/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tesla said:

Not that placing in the top ten for my weight class in my state my senior year makes me Jackie Chan but something tells me it beat your fucking childhood..

It tells me you really enjoyed hugging other young sweaty boys.

Keep bragging about your high school sports achievements.

--------------------

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #12597187 - 05/20/10 10:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
What bugs me is the lack of respect for the history of the sport, and how its evolved over the past two decades.

It's stupid to assume that just because someone pays money to train in a gym, they all of a sudden have a validated scope of the whole history of the sport. 

People who play high school football don't magically all of a sudden know more than someone like John Clayton or Eric Carabell.

Like I said before, we live in a society where its looked down upon for people to be ignorant in a sport.  Which is why so many people try to act like experts, despite not following MMA until everyone jumped on the bandwagon in 2005.

If you admit to being newer to the sport, that's fine, its modest and its honest.

But to claim you know more than others because you pay money to train in a gym, is just nonsensical. 

People are just too proud to admit to their own ignorance.

So this is you admitting you don't train right?

After all why would you "pay money to train in a gym" when you can sit on the couch drinking beer and watching the end product of training in a gym.

If you ever do decide you want to "pay money to train in a gym" you are welcome at mine, where I teach the submission grappling class.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Machida-Shogun II [Re: Heffy]
    #12597263 - 05/20/10 10:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:

Wrong, I just dont use it as an excuse to be ignorant about MMA.

So did you really watch MMA before 2005?  Or were you just pumping your chest.

Cuz I can ask you pretty much any series of questions to expose if you're full of it or not.

--------------------

OfflineTesla

#12597381 - 05/20/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
Quote:

Heffy said:

Wrong, I just dont use it as an excuse to be ignorant about MMA.

So did you really watch MMA before 2005?  Or were you just pumping your chest.

Cuz I can ask you pretty much any series of questions to expose if you're full of it or not.

So what combat sport or Martial Art do you train in than?

I think everyone here me included is alot more interested in seeing if your just a human computer with no fucking skill or a patron and scholar of various combat sports.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#12597440 - 05/20/10 11:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My father was a martial arts trainer for the Navy Seals during the Vietnam war.  He was also a direct apprentice of Tsunejiro Tomita

So I my childhood and early adulthood consisted of training in primarily Judo and Kempo. 

I spend many summers abroad at the Kodokan institute earning my second dan brown belt. 

Now, training in serious lineages in Japan is alot more serious than the stupid little McGyms in America where all the High School jocks go to. 

These institutes actually require lots of book study of history of sensais, the evolution of Jiu Jitsu, and the pioneering of techniques by Kano Sensei.

Aside from that I earned my junior black in TKD a long time ago.

Currently I practice at the Machado dojo, during their open mat nights.  But honestly most jiu jitsu techniques are really nothing very different from judo.

--------------------

OfflineBeerFoam
What's mine is yours
Male User Gallery

#12598613 - 05/20/10 02:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i thought judo was just throws, in judo do they have arm locks, and chokes and stuff cause i thought it was only throws, not submission. Also Machida will be back.

OfflineTesla

#12599535 - 05/20/10 05:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:
My father was a martial arts trainer for the Navy Seals during the Vietnam war.  He was also a direct apprentice of Tsunejiro Tomita

So I my childhood and early adulthood consisted of training in primarily Judo and Kempo. 

I spend many summers abroad at the Kodokan institute earning my second dan brown belt. 

Now, training in serious lineages in Japan is alot more serious than the stupid little McGyms in America where all the High School jocks go to. 

These institutes actually require lots of book study of history of sensais, the evolution of Jiu Jitsu, and the pioneering of techniques by Kano Sensei.

Currently I practice at the Machado dojo, during their open mat nights.  But honestly most jiu jitsu techniques are really nothing very different from judo.

I'm not even going to fact check your credentials if their remotely true their far past McDojo's amnd
Quote:

LiquidSmoke said:

I just started humbly training with a school affiliated with the Jinenkan in Japan.

I used to work a garbage packer or walk four miles a day with a heavy leaf tube for leaf pickup season.. I got stoned beat the fuck out of people felt like Jonny Hard Ass and even did what I did in highschool with wrestling.

It aint a Mcdojo.. Ill give you that.. my legs have never felt like jelly like this based off of basic stances and Katas.

Pushing it tonight even had a very inspiring private lesson today from a student instructor who's been very patient.

Traditional Japanese lineages aren't Mommy Mc Fuck Faces dojo's I've been getting my ability to wreck people off upper body strength picked apart since the start of May because I lack hip mobility and leg strength for traditional Japanese stances and it's been the most humbling experience combat wise I've dealt with.

If your credentials are legit my respect.

Edited by Tesla (05/20/10 05:11 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom