Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #12495264 - 05/02/10 07:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Champion des Champignons said:
[ronnie_c] don't no-one wanna lift no heavy ass weights no more:shakefist: [/ronnie_c]

53lb is heavy for me to be lifting with one hand.  I'm not a big guy by any measure.  When I take that 53lb and throw it over my head repeatedly with one arm -- yeah, that's some work.

GL w/ your bench though :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefeifen

Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: memes]
    #12495291 - 05/02/10 07:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
Quote:

[ronnie_c] don't no-one wanna lift no heavy ass weights no more:shakefist: [/ronnie_c]

53lb is heavy for me to be lifting with one hand.  I'm not a big guy by any measure.  When I take that 53lb and throw it over my head repeatedly with one arm -- yeah, that's some work.

GL w/ your bench though :shrug:

There are tons of factors in with the kettlebell that many people do not recognize.

The amount of work you put in and the intensity of the workout is proportional to the gains you get. The more explosive the workout, the more intense it will be, and the more strength you will gain and it will affect the high-twitch fibers as well. The endurance that comes with the explosiveness is just an added effect to the overall workout from the kettlebell.

I cannot think of a better workout than a kettlebell because I've done it all and the best workout I've ever achieved has been from kettlebells or HIIT sprints and both are just as hard.

OfflineRumblefishtwist
Cyber Bully
Male User Gallery

Loc: Universe
Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: feifen]
    #12495359 - 05/02/10 07:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

IDK, I never bought into the whole Kettle "craze" that Pavel tried selling in the 90's.  They have a respective place in any gym no doubt, but no way would I only work out with them.  When it comes down to it for pure strength: bench, deads, and squat are the 3 kings. 

To me Pavel is a salesman more than a "Master of sports"  Sure he is somewhat strong for his weight, and knows tons of fancy ball moves but when it comes down to it, meh, his "hardened Russian warrior physique" is far from impressive.  His  fitness books are a joke, 50% ads and 50% instruction on how to do two bodyweight exercises!

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: Rumblefishtwist]
    #12495431 - 05/02/10 07:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I will admit:  the DragonDoor (pavel) marketing mechanism is fucking shameful :facepalm:

But the fact that it's so effective makes me not give a fuck.

Offlinefeifen

#12495447 - 05/02/10 07:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

meams said:
I will admit:  the DragonDoor (pavel) marketing mechanism is fucking shameful :facepalm:

But the fact that it's so effective makes me not give a fuck.

QFT.

I love how everyone who hates/disbelieves on the kettlebell has never tried them. Oh the irony.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #12495565 - 05/02/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

And how everyone who has wandered into  my thread and gave them a shot are now just as much a preacher as I am.

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

#12495964 - 05/02/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (01/04/22 07:36 PM)

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #12495973 - 05/02/10 09:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm usually smoked by 20min.  Unless I'm doing pressing ladders - then i'm just spent (muscles dead but not cardiovascularly exhausted)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #12496876 - 05/03/10 12:24 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

20-30 minutes for most workouts, but high rep TGU's or swing sessions can take longer.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Rock Hard Buns of Steel [Re: PDU]
    #12501848 - 05/03/10 09:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

don't get me wrong guise, kettlebells are a great conditioning tool. if all you care about is being in great shape, nothing but kettlebelling will do it for you, but no matter how many times I snatch a 2 pood 'bell, it's not going to get my deadlift past 600. ever.
couple of 250lb bells might work.:wink:

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Edited by Champion des Champignons (05/03/10 09:46 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #12502044 - 05/03/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

don't get me wrong guise, kettlebells are a great conditioning tool. if all you care about is being in great shape, nothing but kettlebelling will do it for you, but no matter how many times I snatch a 2 pood 'bell, it's not going to get my deadlift past 600. ever.

No argument from me.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Edited by PDU (05/03/10 10:22 PM)

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #12502131 - 05/03/10 10:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

feifen said:
Quote:

meams said:
Kettlebell swings.

+1

+2

Quote:

Epic fail man.  Just because It is not heavy doesn't mean it can't increase you deadlift.

In fact, kettlebell swings INCREASE YOUR DEADLIFT!

From:http://doubleyourgains.com/how-to-increase-your-deadlift-with-swings

Quote:

We’ve already gone over the swing and its benefits  …

* Improved cardiovascular ability
    * A solid lower back
    * Strong shoulders
    * Grip strength
    * And explosiveness through the hips …

Most people seem to associate swings with only this: high repetition cardiovascular exercise, and for good reason. Resistance added to cardiovascular exercise multiplies its benefits. But surprisingly, strongmen and powerlifters found another use for the swing… it increased their deadlifts.
“How Can The Swing Increase Your Deadlift?”

The swing is worked almost COMPLETELY by your posterior chain. Other elements of your body, like your grip and shoulders and lats, help to stabilize it, but the POWER comes from driving your hips forward dramatically, to whip the kettlebell up.

Which other weight lifting movement uses a hip extension to complete the lift?

Yes, that’s right! The deadlift! You’re a genius. Swings work the same muscles that the deadlift does!

But wait a second…most people, even a modest strength aficionado, can deadlift at least 200 pounds. The starting kettlebell weight for most males is 1 pood, or 36 pounds. This would be only 18% of your max, in this case. How can such a low weight help increase your deadlift?

It’s a good question and the answer is just as good:

Because of the manner in which the swing is performed. Swings are done explosively–it is a power movement (application of strength and speed). The explosive swings are quick movements that cannot be replicated with the deadlift. Sure, you have speed deadlifts, but it’s not the same due to the range of motion and center of gravity. If you get tired with the deadlift, you may lose your speed, but you will still have a chance at making the pull. With a kettlebell, it’s not going anywhere unless you have the speed and explosion.

Think of it like speed work, but with a kettlebell. The muscle fibers are learning to fire more explosively and your nervous system adapts as well to this sort of movement (high velocity/output).

As I have said before, for you powerlifters, the effect is felt more on the nervous system than anything.  Furthermore, the altered centre of gravity lets the hips be snapped harder.  It teaches your body how to work completely in unison better.  I guarantee if you do heavy swings (60lbs+) you will notice a difference in deadlifts or Olympic lifts.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
    #12503387 - 05/04/10 06:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

feifen said:
I cannot think of a better workout than a kettlebell because I've done it all and the best workout I've ever achieved has been from kettlebells

Yes, I think we ALL can tell that you've done it all :vaped::

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]