Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Incubation Temperature changes: major problem for mycellium?
    #1249676 - 01/26/03 07:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hello!

This is my first experience with growing mushrooms.  I started 8 jars of different cubensis strains following the pf-tek with BRF/Vermiculite and since my appartment is quite cold (we have a hard winter here), I found that building a small incubator would be great idea!!

I found a Tek that explains how to easily build an incubator using two rubbermaid containers and a aquarium heater and that's what I've done.  Even if it's quite easy to do, I had many problems tuning it to get the ideal 27 celsius (80F).  First, I bought a 50 watts heater and found it wasn't powerful enough so I traded it for a 100 watts and it's ok.  I'll spare you the details of my problems with this incubator but my jars were inoculated 7 days ago and were exposed to many temperature changes.

In the first day, I was able to expose them to a 74 F.  Then, my 50 watts wasn't able to heat enough and it dropped to 68 F.  On the second day, it went to 78 F and dropped rapidly to 68 F again since I was forced to unplugged the incubator and exchange the heater for a 100 W.  On 3rd day, I got a 84 F for the whole night but on the next morning, it droped rapidly to 70 F since I opened the container to adjust the heater a little bit. 

Anyway, my point is that in 7 days, my jars were exposed to various temperatures ranging from 66 F to 84 F with sometimes rapid changes in temperature and I wasn't able yet to get a constant temperature for more than 12 or 15 hours.

Will this hurt the spores in any way?  I read that the ideal temperature for colonization is something like 88 F but since mycellium generates some heat, it's safe to aim for 80 F.  Since I have no sign at all of mycellium growth yet,  I guess it's not a big deal to expose the jars to 88 F but I should make sure to cool down the incubator a little bit when mycellium starts to appear.

I would appreciate some hints from you about this!

thanks a lot!! :smile: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Incubation Temperature changes: major problem for mycellium? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1249703 - 01/26/03 07:09 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Everything sounds ok.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation Temperature changes: major problem for mycellium? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #1249714 - 01/26/03 07:15 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You will be ok.

I have found 84 degrees F....to be ideal.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Incubation Temperature changes: major problem for mycellium? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1249727 - 01/26/03 07:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hey,

Great, thanks for letting me know.

I must say this forum is quite amazing. 2 replys in less than a minute...:)

see ya!

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
    #1249795 - 01/26/03 07:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i like to drop down maybe every 2 or3 days till around 20 maybe 18 then a sudden changes directly 32 33 .for me it just a good way understand what was happing in there .sometimes i like to do this in post casing..the mycellium becomes very long or what they call in terminology .. i l ike to learn that way.

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

OfflineBlak
SicknTwisted

#18615831 - 07/26/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Is it ok to keep incubation in the 84-87 range?

--------------------
We Travel through Space Unknowingly

Trade List

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains