Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1244292 - 01/23/03 07:59 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I like: PORK THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Also like: GOT MILK?

I find those two funny cuz I hate milk and NEVER seen pork as a "white meat" white meat=healthy (poultry- breast meat) PORK isnt known to be as good for one as chicken breast.. shesh.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineleafblowerz
Shroom mumbler
Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Jammer]
    #1244877 - 01/24/03 04:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Is anal leakage anything like a wet fart? Cause I get that all the time.

Leaf

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Dilauded]
    #1245168 - 01/24/03 05:53 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

There's so much fucking shit out there and you say "not to help medicine" What kinda stupid fucking talk is that.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is: SHIT. Get real dude. Every pharma drug commercial I've ever seen is selling drugs that treat SOCIOLOGICAL "conditions" like anxiety disorder or some bullshit like that. That or allergies or heartburn or something else that can be better treated by methods other than pill consumption. Maybe it is better to hook a scoiety on hypnotic drugs that will permanently destroy a part of a persons personality if it will get rid of their checklist social "symptoms", but I doubt it.

Western Medicine hasn't cured any real diseases in well over 50 years. And why should it? It recieves far more money for doing "research".

Quote:

What about your polio vaccination and those anti-biotics you had to take.

Polio has been dead for a long time. Polio vaccinations have been know to cause other crippling diseases like Cytomegalo virus. Anti-biotics are crap, and I don't take them. They don't discriminate. Anti: Against; Biotic: of or pertaining to life.
Antibiotics have probably done more to create nasty, resistant diseases than anything else.

Quote:

Viruses and diseases are constantly changing, so chemists need to produce different and better drugs to kill them. Its an on-going process.

Thus creating more resistant and deadly diseases every time.

And I won't even get started about the proliferation of mind altering amphetamine drugs to treat red herrings like ADD/ADHDaDDHD, etc

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Phred]
    #1246547 - 01/24/03 03:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

L.A. Times January 24, 2003

EDITORIAL

Funding Can Taint Findings

Last month, a study by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute showed that diuretics were better at alleviating high blood pressure than newer, far more expensive drugs such as calcium channel blockers. It took a federally funded study, after years of studies lauding channel blockers, to uncover that. A New England Journal of Medicine review of those favorable studies found that 96% of the researchers received money from the drugs' makers. The folks footing the bill for scientific research too often get exactly what they want. With industry supplying nearly two-thirds of the medical research money in the United States, that means more studies that boost industry in ways both subtle and blatant.

A new Yale University study finds that when businesses, rather than other groups, sponsor medical research at hospitals and colleges, the outcomes are 3.6 times more likely to favor the company involved. The Yale study -- not funded by business -- puts together an unlovely picture of what happens when researchers have financial ties to the subject of their research.

The correlation between funding and findings makes it easy to understand why consumer groups greeted with skepticism a study this week from the American Assn. of Neurological Surgeons that found no link between roller coasters and brain injury. The study's sponsor was Six Flags, owner of the ever-more-turbulent rides at Magic Mountain and other parks.

This rush for business dollars -- once anathema to academic and medical researchers -- extends far beyond medicine.

ExxonMobil is putting $100 million into the new Global Climate and Energy Project at Stanford University. The project's agenda is developing ways to combat the atmospheric accumulation of greenhouse gases from fossil fuels. But ExxonMobil and other sponsoring companies have the authority to approve the research topics, and the oil giant is no fan of renewable energy or limits on carbon dioxide emissions. A company official said Stanford was chosen in part because it is known for working with business and because the professors were open to changing their career directions to join the project.

Public spending on medical research has doubled in the last five years but cannot keep up with corporations intent on buying academic credibility. Researchers can raise the bar by setting standards and urging companies to fund studies through independent foundations.

Journals and the popular media should ask for, and prominently publish, funding sources and amounts whenever they report on new research. The forces shaping science also shape public policy and medical practice.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1246676 - 01/24/03 04:06 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Calcium Channel Blockers are something I know about. The most widely used, verapamil, is hardly expensive. As for diuretics, they are cheap, yes, and they may lower blood pressure, yes, but they are not without side-effects. Verapamil is a relatively benign drug and can be tolerated at surprisingly high doses for extended periods of time.

To get back to the topic you raised, however, your suppositions were that pharmacos spend more on advertising than they need to, and that if they spent less on advertising and more on R&D, the consumer would benefit by having either more effective medications or cheaper medications.

Let's look at the two a bit more closely.

In order to deliver more effective medications to market, a company must expend money on research, must spend MORE money on rigidly specified and lengthy trials, must obtain FDA approval to actually sell the medicine, must manufacture it, package it, and make doctors and patients aware of its existence. All of these steps require money. If the company doesn't sell enough of its existing products, there are insufficient funds to bring new ones to market. Advertising helps sell its existing products.

In order to reduce the price of existing products, the development costs of that product must first be repaid, then there must be an economy of scale. The more of the product is sold, the faster the development costs are recouped. The more of a product is manufactured, the less expensive the per unit cost of that product becomes. Again, advertising helps to move the product more quickly.

If the goals are to provide newer medications and less expensive medications, advertising is one of the most effective ways of achieving those goals. If it wasn't, no one would do it.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Phred]
    #1246833 - 01/24/03 09:44 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pharmacopeia

Their already is a book published every 6 months called the Pharmacyclopedia or something like that...

It lists ALL registered pharamacuticle drugs, their uses, effects, MSDS fact sheets, namufacturers and all information about drugs..

Ive seen the book before and its HUGE. It sells for a few hundred dollars and you cant find it everywhere, its a pretty specific thing so youll find it at medical supply companies that wholesale to pharmacies and such...

As for the Pharmacutical companies... They can KISS MY ASS.... They are the reason drugs arent legal. They are the reason my Cousin is in prission for Marijuana.. They are the reason that Health Care in the world Sucks the way it does...

I say fuck them any way you can.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#1246851 - 01/24/03 09:53 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That artical brings up great points, I love how people forget doctors are human. They thing that "perks"will have no effect, how could you blame a doctor who has been given a free trip and cruise for recomending a particular medicine. Laws need to be developed to seperate these close ties.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineDilauded
Sensability andrespectability

Loc: Krunkville, FL
Re: My plan to clean up the Pharmaceutical industry. [Re: Viveka]
    #1247869 - 01/25/03 10:50 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Every pharma drug commercial I've ever seen is selling drugs that treat SOCIOLOGICAL "conditions" like anxiety disorder or some bullshit like that. That or allergies or heartburn or something else that can be better treated by methods other than pill consumption. Maybe it is better to hook a scoiety on hypnotic drugs that will permanently destroy a part of a persons personality if it will get rid of their checklist social "symptoms", but I doubt it.

Well I'm not saying its required to hook society on anti-depressants, they've got minds of their own. I've heard of people who are very happy with their drug but then there's the others that are just blah. I could give a fuck, if I get depressed then I'm depressed, might as well get used to it b/c it'll most likely happen again. Its not my problem, but a while ago I remember Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy talking about wanting to make it so government would assign you a doctor and if you are depressed then you will be REQUIRED to take the medication (socialize medicare). I thought this was FUCKED UP. I'd rather live knowing what's up than a cloud of blind happiness and relying on a stupid drug to keep me in line.

Quote:

Polio has been dead for a long time. Polio vaccinations have been know to cause other crippling diseases like Cytomegalo virus.

Yea and the vaccine is still given now, there's the majority that gets the desired effect and then there's a small percent who get that other disease.

Quote:

Anti-biotics are crap

Why would you say something like that?

Quote:

Thus creating more resistant and deadly diseases every time.

So what do you want to do? Stop all medicine and rely on natural remidies that MIGHT work? Take some echinecea, which in a study has been found not to work? I'll admit I don't like taking medications sometimes. So I go run a couple miles or work out thinking that increasing my metabolism that my body will fight the virus/infect better.

Jus my thoughts,
Dilauded

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order