Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Fermentation question???
    #12343421 - 04/06/10 04:22 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

OK, so I had a problem with fermentation this time around; whereas last time I only had one tub ferment on me, this time more of them did.

The tubs are straw/verm/dehydrated-hpoo spawned with grain. They were all pasteurized for 4.5 hours at 160degF, then spawned, and then set to cultivate in room temp ~72degF.

The only differences that I can think of is that this time I used tap water instead of distilled when saturating the sub to field capacity prior to pasteurizing, and also I possibly didn't let all the alcohol evaporate out of the tubs before I spawned them...

Can either of those things cause straw to ferment? Is there bacteria in tap water that causes fermentation and is not killed by pasteurizing?

Last time I swear I ran out of distilled and I used tap on a few, however they turned out fine, so I am leaning towards the alcohol...

Anybody have exp with straw fermentation?

Thanks a lot!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fermentation question??? [Re: CDS]
    #12343435 - 04/06/10 04:26 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Tap water is fine, there is no need to use distilled water, and the alcohol would not have been your problem

Edited by Shea25 (04/06/10 04:26 PM)

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Fermentation question??? [Re: Shea25]
    #12343453 - 04/06/10 04:28 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

yeah, doesn't sound like either of those 2 things was the problem.

I recently had an hpoo tub that started stinking like fermentation. It went away after 2 days and now it looks beautiful. Complete mystery to me.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: Fermentation question??? [Re: anonjon]
    #12343826 - 04/06/10 05:42 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Yeah it has been like a week and none of the mycelium has colonized any of the straw; they look the same as they did on spawn day, save a minute amount of fuzz on the individual rye grains... The good tubs are like 90% colonized by now...

If the aforementioned is not the cause, then what is? And what would favorable conditions for fermentation be anyway?

Thanks

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12344969 - 04/06/10 08:33 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

did the straw sit wet for a long time b4 use? did you drain it well?

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#12349025 - 04/07/10 02:05 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

After pasteurization the bag gets hung up and punctured so any excess h2o that leeched out during past. can drain. Then it sits overnight to cool then immediately to spawn. However this is the same process I always use...

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#12476840 - 04/29/10 11:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Update:

So the problem was that I didn't let the bags breathe sufficiently while they were cooling...

So for future reference, if you are pasteurizing straw in plastic bags, you should poke lots of holes (50 or so, the dia of a thermometer probe) in the bags and then after it has drained you should form the mass into a donut shape inside the bag while it cools as to maximize the substrate's ability to breathe. Failure to do this will allow bacteria to build up which will then prevent your spawn from colonizing.

Tests with this method vs previous yielded 0% contamination whereas poking just a few drainage holes yielded 90% contams...

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

#12476879 - 04/29/10 11:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

do you always pasteurize at that time and temperature?

Do you ever use dishsoap prior to pasteurization?

I only ask because I haven't quite settled on a straw prep method myself, so I'm curious what works well for other people.

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#12477015 - 04/29/10 11:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes- time and temp is always the same. Long time is due to enclosed plastic bags a/o to pillowcase.

No, don't bother with dish soap because organic straw is used, much like the kind they sell for halloween decorations at craft stores.. It is much lighter and cleaner than commercial feed straw, with practically no dirt, junk or tops (the wheat shit that contains the seeds, IDK what they're called). It's like the kind mycosupply sells in miniature bundles (although they are way expensive)...

Better results have been obtained with this kind than with feed-grade straw (which would probably benefit from being cleaned with soap like in RR's vids). Only tried the latter once, so IDK of technically there is any differnence, however had less than excellent results that time, so organic is the preference here.

As for the rest of the tek, it is almost identical to Fahsters, and has always produces great results! (With the exception of once, however that was due to improper cooling (see above) and has since been rectified)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags