Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Help with my grow please.Equador on birdseed.
    #1246161 - 01/24/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hi I've tried to grow twice before with verm/BRF and either nothing grew or i lost everything to contams. :mad:
    Any way, i haven't given up yet. I'm trying birdseed with equadors. The birdseed contained, Canary grass seed, white prosso millet, Oat Groats and mineral oil. The guaranteed Analysis was
crude Protein 13%
crude fat 3.5%
crude fibre 9%
Moisture 14%
I am using one pint  Wide mouth mason jars.
Also i don't have tyvek filters.
What are some good house hold items i could use?

I have a PC(which i never used before)
Can i get some help on using it so i don't blow up my house(which has happened before in my kitchen :shocked: :tongue:)Heres a similar cooker. Cooker

And which tech do any of you think would be the best for me?
Iv read about 4 different ones and they seem very similar. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Help with my grow please.Equador on birdseed. [Re: Legoulash]
    #1246242 - 01/24/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Im doin this tonight and am kinda worried about it.
So bump. :tongue: 

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1246458 - 01/24/03 04:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

First off, let me start by saying you may want to try with BRF until you have success, I've found that it is easier to work with than birdseed.

I'm not sure if the birdseed you have will work, but I think it probably will. If you want to be sure, go to Walmart and pick up a bag of Pennington's Wild Birdseed.

Working with a PC for the first time can be very intimidating, but as long as you are not a complete dumbass, you will be fine. Here's what I'd advise you to do:
1) Fill the PC with enough water to cover and inch depth.
2) Put the lid on and seal it well (I didn't seal it well the first couple of runs, and because of that I couldn't build up adequate pressure)
3) Open up the steam release valve
4) Put the PC on a burner and turn on the heat.
5) Wait until a steady stream of steam is coming out of the pressure release valve, once it is, close the valve.
6) From the looks of the link you provided, it seems that you have a weight regulated PC, if so you should wait until the weight is "rocking" (I really don't know to what extent because I have a pressure gauge on mine).
7) If the weight is rocking too much, reduce the heat.

Sorry that I can't be more specific on the rocking issue, but I don't have any experience with those style PCs, and I don't want to misguide you.

As far as what tek to use, I recommend this one

WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white, red millet & milo, with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin (a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Help with my grow please.Equador on birdseed. [Re: Skikid16]
    #1246505 - 01/24/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Im not sure if my seed had Bird-kote/fungiside on it, and it doenst say on the bag. How would i go about rinsing off Bird-kote??

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1246518 - 01/24/03 05:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Soaking it(8-12hours) then rinsing it , then letting it drain(30min).

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Edited by Skikid16 (01/24/03 05:15 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation