Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Nixon Jr.
    #1245594 - 01/24/03 10:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ex-Va. GOP Chief Accused of Eavesdropping
Thu Jan 23, 3:29 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

RICHMOND, Va. - The former executive director of Virginia's Republican Party was indicted Thursday on federal charges he eavesdropped on conference calls among Democratic legislators last year.

Edmund A. Matricardi III, 34, was accused of using a telephone number and access codes to listen in on the teleconferences.

He was charged with five counts involving the interception of electronic communications. Each count carries up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Matricardi resigned over the scandal but was later hired as operations director of the South Carolina Republican Party. On Thursday, after he was indicted, he resigned that post, too.

His attorney, Steven Benjamin, criticized the timing of the indictment. He said he had asked prosecutors to hold off on any charges until after the Virginia General Assembly had adjourned Feb. 22. He said any legal proceedings would probably require legislators to testify.

Matricardi was indicted in April on state charges, but the charges were dropped when state and local authorities asked federal investigators to take over the case.

Claudia Tucker, a former aide to the state House speaker, pleaded guilty in federal court Wednesday to a misdemeanor charge in the case and was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $1,000. She was accused of secretly listening to 22 minutes of a Democratic conference call over legislative redistricting.

Prosecutors said Matricardi used his telephone at state GOP headquarters and a telephone number and access code he had been given by a former Democratic Party staffer to call into an interstate conference call of the Joint Democratic Caucus last March.

"Without disclosing he was on the line, he secretly listened for approximately 2 1/2 hours and recorded the call on a tape recorder," U.S. Attorney Paul McNulty said.

The indictment said Matricardi disclosed the contents of the call the next day to an official in the office of Republican Attorney General Jerry Kilgore, who alerted the Virginia State Police.

Two days later, Matricardi allegedly eavesdropped on an interstate conference call of state Democrats for about two hours.

Former Democratic Party field director Jacquelyn Daniel has told reporters that she gave Matricardi the phone number and access codes after losing her party job during a reorganization.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030123/ap_on_re_us/gop_eavesdropping_3

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Nixon Jr. [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1245623 - 01/24/03 10:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If it's true, he should resign. I can't help the feeling though that if he had been a Democrat, you'd have never made this post.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Nixon Jr. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1245631 - 01/24/03 10:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I can't help the feeling though that if he had been a Democrat, you'd have never made this post. 

Duh, that's your job. :grin: I kid, I kid.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245640 - 01/24/03 11:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If it's true, he should resign.
Didn't read to closely there did we?

I can't help the feeling though that if he had been a Democrat, you'd have never made this post.
What makes you say that? :wink: Though I am sure if it was a Democrat, you would have probably made the post.  :grin:

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245651 - 01/24/03 11:08 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It would seem I read it a bit closer than you.

was accused of, was charged with, was indicted in.....
I guess what's missing is, admitted or was found guilty of.

Hense my, If it's true. Or are you psychic? Do you have some amazing inside source?

Or in your glee at seeing the word Republican, did you just assume he is guilty?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245653 - 01/24/03 11:09 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

He's already resigned skitch.  :grin:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245666 - 01/24/03 11:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No shit. Does it say in the article he resigned because of this? Gosh... it doesn't. It say's "over the scandel", does it say he did it?

Now while you can infer that, it's not stated.

And if it's true, resigning was the right thing to do. What concept are you failing to grasp here?

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (01/24/03 11:14 AM)

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245696 - 01/24/03 11:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well, when he was originally indicted by the state, he resigned. The state later then dropped the charges so that a Federal case could be pursued. He went to go work for SC, and then he then resigns as soon as he was indicted on a Federal level. State republicans have already spoken out against him, and the evidence is pretty overwhelming.

However I don't think that I stated that he was guilty, so maybe you should quit inferring that I believe he is guilty, and quit putting words in my mouth. I was merely stating that he had already resigned, in response to you "if he is guilty he should resign" post. What concept are you failing to grasp here?

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245703 - 01/24/03 11:28 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

And acutally the article does say, "he resigned over the scandal", but I am sure this is just the liberal media's interpretation of the matter.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245710 - 01/24/03 11:32 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Has HE said that's why he resigned? Nope, at least not in that article.

And yes, the evidence seems overwhelming. But he has not been found, nor has he admitted guilt.

So the original sentence stands.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245727 - 01/24/03 11:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You aren't listening to me.

ALL I WAS STATING WAS THAT HE HAD ALREADY RESIGNED.

You had stated that if he is guilty he should resign. Either you meant to say that "If he was guilty he should have resigned", or you were thinking that he was still holding office somehwere. I interpreted your statement as the latter. Why is that so difficult to understand?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245761 - 01/24/03 11:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Because your interpretation is wrong.

Let's try this....
Sam cut his hand so he put a bandage on it. If he cut his hand, he should put a bandage on it.

It's the thing to do, as resigning was the thing to do.

He had already resigned. If he's guilty he should resign.

Your example sentence would work if he hadn't resigned.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245789 - 01/24/03 12:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"If he cut his hand, he should put a bandage on it."
In this instance, 'cut' is in the past tense. Without the 'have' following 'should' the sentence is grammatically incorrect because the last half of the sentence is in the present tense. Either that or 'cut' needs to be 'cuts'.

Edit: Furthermore, when one writes it is improper to change tenses as you did. It makes things confusing as we have found tonite.

But I see your point. However my sentence would have been a suitable replacement for yours, because he had resigned, and you were of the matter.

--------------------

Edited by I_Fart_Blue (01/24/03 12:03 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245827 - 01/24/03 12:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you say so, personally, I think you're wrong.

I stand by what I wrote, and would do so again.

Quote:

and you were of the matter

It doesn't sound as if you should lecture anyone on their grammar.

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1245945 - 01/24/03 01:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, well my error came from chopping up my reply when I edited it, not from ignorance.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1245983 - 01/24/03 01:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, the typical leftie response.

What a surprise.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion