Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCanedAndUnable
I`m a loser baby

Loc: England
UK newbie needs help (Setup)
    #1244927 - 01/24/03 06:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hello -
This is my first post, I`ve floated around the forum for about a year now, the FAQ and forum`s search facility answered all my questions. It helped alot due to the fact I`m from the UK, and couldnt find many of the neccessary equipment straight away.
Anyway, back on to the point, I`m on the verge of finally growing mushrooms using the PF Tek, I`ve located everything I *think* I need, so far I have:

Two progators, one large, one small - Homebase
75w submersible/stat aquarium heater - Ebay
Dual out air pump, filter stone and tubing - Ebay
Thermometer/hygrometer (In/Out/Min/Max) - Machine Mart
Surgical Sprit and H2O2 - Boots
Bonne Mannam conserve jars (Unsure about spelling!) - Sainsburys
Milton disinfectant - Sainsburys
Vermiculite and Perlite - Homebase
Small battery operated fluroresent lamp - Maplin
Brown Rice Flour - Holland and Barratt
Surgical Gloves - Mush Mush
Equador syringe will buy from either The Little Guy or Smart Botanics, I hear they are highly recommended.

As well as small items such as cotton buds to clean etc..

I would like to know if I need anything else?

And my major problem is that I initially intended for the large progator to be the fruiting chamber, with the air pump tubes attached to the walls and lying in a dish of water and H2O2 and the heater semi submersed in a plastic carton. But, when running tests to find the optium temprature the heater smashed, I think it was faulty as opposed to not enough water in the plastic carton. But once bitten twice shy. I now do not want this set up and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a different set up?

One option I thought of, was filling the large propgator with water and installing the submersible heater in it, then placing the smaller propagator inside, and having this as the fruiting chamber with humidty getting in through the air vents at the top. I think this would provide nice even heat, but enough humidity? Even if I line the bottom with perlite? Also, contams?

Thanx in advance for any responses, and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, dont think I did!

--------------------
I drop every E thats mine, I snort every line I find, I drink shroom tea by the jug, cant you see I just love drugs?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: UK newbie needs help (Setup) [Re: CanedAndUnable]
    #1244984 - 01/24/03 06:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

seems u have everything but remember its not an exact science on how to grow it can be adapted to everyone's individual situation. cubes are an easy strain to grow out. so don't spend your entire wallet on a setup unless u want to its not an absolute must.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1245001 - 01/24/03 06:50 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Cool looks like your all set.
Why not fill the bottom of the larger propergator with water put the heater in there and use wire mesh or somthing simular to hold the cakes above the water table.
Like a shelf.Or even try no heating in a warmish room out of drafts and see what temp the inside gets to anyway.

Also boots sell surgical gloves as well :smile: even the longer glove box style.

Good luck

--------------------
er

OfflineCanedAndUnable
I`m a loser baby

#1245041 - 01/24/03 07:08 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanx for the replies you two. Ganja, I think I will probably go with the mesh one. But I live in a shared house so dont always have control on the heating so I`ve turned all radiators off where I am aiming to grow, incase they got too hot, the sacrifices I make! :wink:

One thing I cant get my head round is the 'drip tray/shield'? I think thats its name, its obvisouly to stop a high humidity chamber dropping large water droplets from above, but is it neccessary? As I`m stumped on what I could use.

Cheers for the gloves tip, will save time and maybe some money. I think the lady at the Boots chemist is getting suspicous, she wont know I`m growing mushrooms but she knows I`m upto something, I told her H2O2 was for my 'exoctic plant' to give it air, when she questioned me. 

--------------------
I drop every E thats mine, I snort every line I find, I drink shroom tea by the jug, cant you see I just love drugs?

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1245067 - 01/24/03 07:16 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Dude i think mine think im a terrorist as the other day i was talking to the chemist in boots asking about were to get petri dishes and agar agar.They looked at me like i wonted to make anthrax or something lol.

Does your larger propergator have a flat roof or a tilted one?the tilted do the drip shield job for you but the flat ones drip like me with a cold.
I was thinking of a ^ shaped bit of plastic glued inside the lid would work but now i have an indoor greenhouse thingi that works good.

My blag to boots in the end was that im trying to micro propergate my orcids lol.They didnt seem to fall for it  :smirk:

--------------------
er

OfflineCanedAndUnable
I`m a loser baby

Re: UK newbie needs help (Setup) [Re: G a n j a]
    #1245105 - 01/24/03 07:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hehe - I`ve got what I`m gonna say when I go for my Calcium Cloride. I`m gonna say I`m making a Ricin and Anthrax hybrid that makes you think your Texas Pete and Charlie Brown intertwined into one beautiful human soul.

Its flat, but I`ll keep my eye out for some plastic to stick on top. Cheers for the help. Its much appreciated.

:grin: 

--------------------

Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
    #1245246 - 01/24/03 08:25 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

shit the look they gave me in boots when I asked where I could get ethanol!

I use that plastic that they used to use at school for overhead progectors, you know the clear stuff, acrylic? as a drip shield, its a bit floppy but I tape an unbent hanger to each edge, you can get it A2 size so you can cut it to whatever shape or size you need

OfflineSavageHuxley
Friendly Fungus

#1245392 - 01/24/03 09:22 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have and always will use plexiglass for the drip screen. It is inexpensive and not to floppy, it doesn't need any fasteners, just a terrarium to put it in.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Petri Dish, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation