Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
TRICHODERMA
    #12426591 - 04/20/10 01:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I am generally patient with letting mycelium run its course.  It is not unusual for me to let something go 7-10 days before checking up on it.  I almost never have contamination issues, in spite of some relaxed procedures.  I just spray a small bathroom generously with Lysol brand disinfectant and wash my hands in alcohol.  I don't change clothes or wear protection over my mouth and hands.  I guess my relaxed behavior caught up with me.

Today I found a mycobag almost completely overrun by Trichoderma.  It was so bad that prior to opening the bag I could see small pools of water on the bag's surface that were swirling and moving with Trichoderma inside.  It looked like baby green sea monkeys.  I don't think Trichoderma has any ability to swim, so it must have been just the gentle swaying of the bag making it appear so.

I took the bag outside and opened it.  I was too curious to throw it away and I am dedicated to my compost bin.  This is what I saw:

When I dumped this bag in to the compost heap a big cloud of green flew up.  It was like a green smoke bomb was let off.  I am guessing that it was some kind of spore release.  It was impressive and pretty.  :facepalm3: I made my way inside quickly to shower, wash clothes, and wipe down the camera.

I am not sure I will actually change any of my practices after this.  I think this was just Trichoderma reminding me that it will be waiting for me to get sloppy.  Just in case, I will review what was in the bag and the general process it went through.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12428074 - 04/20/10 06:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'd have stripped outdoors and rinsed off with the garden hose before going in with my clothes in a sealed plastic bag.  You probably carried a few trillion trich spores into your house, which will now haunt you on future grows.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12428495 - 04/20/10 07:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ive broken a few jars that were just like your bag inside my lab and they havent haunted my future grows. a giant smoke bomb went off.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: TexasMyco]
    #12429975 - 04/21/10 01:33 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I made the mistake of letting this happen a few times, not realizing how it would impact me down the line.  At first doing monotubs was a breeze.  Now, I can't do monotubs or any sort of 'spawn to bulk' methods because of it. 

I spent days trying to sterilize everything, bought all new tubs and equipment and still lost every. single. monotub. 

No point in crying over spilt milk, but it's a lesson to others.  In the mean time I've had to switch over to other methods that are less susceptible to contaminates.

Looks like I'll need to decon the whole house with a heavy duty hepa filter system before I can try a monotub again.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: Spongiform]
    #12438188 - 04/22/10 01:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

that is some bad green, i would change my practices and scrub my grow room down once a week with 10% bleach for the next 6 months or so.  I normally spray bleach onto the walls with a backpack sprayer once a week to be safe.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: solumvita]
    #12438765 - 04/22/10 03:25 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:
that is some bad green, i would change my practices and scrub my grow room down once a week with 10% bleach for the next 6 months or so.  I normally spray bleach onto the walls with a backpack sprayer once a week to be safe.

Gotta be careful doing that, chlorine gas is pretty nasty stuff.

Minimize your exposure time or wear gas mask + eye protection.

--------------------

OfflineLucky_dog1965
Stranger

#12440856 - 04/22/10 10:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have 4 1/2 pint jars that seem kinda maybe light green from th lid band to about 1/2 way to the bottom then a very white band of myc then nothing the bottom 1/2 inch of the jars....they have a verm layer on them and I have left them alone except holding up to the window so I can see them bettter....today I took some pics and they looked pretty white overall and the profound white rizomitic near the bottom was very evident in the pics. I isolated them from the 4 compleatly white starburst myc looking  obviously good jars like on day 4...of 12 days since inoculation. Reading this I am thinking I should toss the questionable ones without even opening them or even attempting to reuse the jars?? Am I just paranoid? I sure dont need any green bombs going off in my house or yard!! I am concerned about just putting them in the garbage though. we have "city" trash service and I an pretty sure the waste management company sifts thru all the garbage for recycling. Help!

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: Lucky_dog1965]
    #12442191 - 04/23/10 05:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lucky_dog1965 said:
I have 4 1/2 pint jars that seem kinda maybe light green from th lid band to about 1/2 way to the bottom then a very white band of myc then nothing the bottom 1/2 inch of the jars....they have a verm layer on them and I have left them alone except holding up to the window so I can see them bettter....today I took some pics and they looked pretty white overall and the profound white rizomitic near the bottom was very evident in the pics. I isolated them from the 4 compleatly white starburst myc looking  obviously good jars like on day 4...of 12 days since inoculation. Reading this I am thinking I should toss the questionable ones without even opening them or even attempting to reuse the jars?? Am I just paranoid? I sure dont need any green bombs going off in my house or yard!! I am concerned about just putting them in the garbage though. we have "city" trash service and I an pretty sure the waste management company sifts thru all the garbage for recycling. Help!

Pictures would help a lot.  It sounds like you may have trich.

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRICHODERMA [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12442391 - 04/23/10 07:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Here's a couple pics for reference.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

#12444798 - 04/23/10 04:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:
Here's a couple pics for reference.

Thanks spongiform.  At this point I am pretty confident I won't miss it next time.  It got that bad because sometimes I wait a long time before I check in on projects.  That one just so happened to sit longer than others.

I like your pics in the container - through glass - those will be helpful to others who stumble across this thread.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags