Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsychoanomaly
Ἓν rὸ πᾶν

Coffee - Pros/Cons
    #12439757 - 04/22/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm preparing for my first monotub, and I'm not sure if I should use coffee in my substrate. I've been told that coffee increases your chances for contaminants...

Please enlighten me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using coffee in your substrate (I'm using coir, verm, and gypsum already)?

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes.

Are we but a moment found?
Or a moment lost, a moment unbound?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: psychoanomaly]
    #12439773 - 04/22/10 06:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

coffee grounds get moldy pretty easily ..

maybe substitute worm castings or a little chicken manure.

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#12439775 - 04/22/10 06:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Adds extra nitrogen I believe.

I just started a new grow with coir and espresso grounds.  I've never had trouble using coffee in the past.  I made a thread about this last night or night before, and this is what RR said about the pH level-

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12427399#12427399

I've never really had problems using coffee.  RR and others have done grows where they grow just off bricks of used coffee grounds.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (04/22/10 07:03 PM)

Offlinebigcrackrock
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: DragonChaser]
    #12439921 - 04/22/10 07:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've only done around 30 jars so far but only 2 out of those got contaminated. They happened to be 2 out of the 3 that I used coffee ground in. That makes me scared to add it to anything bulk. Mold loves coffee. All you gotta do is leave some in a cup overnight and your likely to find shit growing in it already. Trying pure coffee sounds cool though. Wouldn't be much of a loss if it didn't work.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: bigcrackrock]
    #12439976 - 04/22/10 07:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

shouldnt be a problem, i never had a problem using coffee. past. like you're suppose to and you wont get mold from your coffee grinds.... i always use coffee.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#12440023 - 04/22/10 07:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bigcrackrock said:
I've only done around 30 jars so far but only 2 out of those got contaminated. They happened to be 2 out of the 3 that I used coffee ground in. That makes me scared to add it to anything bulk. Mold loves coffee. All you gotta do is leave some in a cup overnight and your likely to find shit growing in it already. Trying pure coffee sounds cool though. Wouldn't be much of a loss if it didn't work.

You used coffee in jars that you knocked up, is that what you're saying?

--------------------
My name is Mud

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
    #12440041 - 04/22/10 07:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psychoanomaly said:
I'm preparing for my first monotub, and I'm not sure if I should use coffee in my substrate. I've been told that coffee increases your chances for contaminants...

Please enlighten me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using coffee in your substrate (I'm using coir, verm, and gypsum already)?

I would suggest skipping the coffee.  It sounds like it will be one more new thing for you to tangle with.  Perhaps you could get accustomed to simple tubs before going with the optional stuff.  Could be less to worry about in the long run if you need to trouble shoot your first few attempts.

--------------------

Offlinebigcrackrock
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: DragonChaser]
    #12440098 - 04/22/10 07:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

About 20 percent coffee grounds 80 percent wbs. Green mold got 2 of em. The third jar that made it is actually the only one I haven't done something with yet.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12440122 - 04/22/10 08:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

you used the coffee wrong. don't mix it with your grains. when hydrating your grains you can use deluded coffee in your water. coffee grains are for the bulk substrate, not for the spawn. that's why it went bad. you need to past. the coffee, you sterilized it. big difference. check the link in my sig, there is a ton of info over coffee  in it.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

Offlinepsychoanomaly
Ἓν rὸ πᾶν

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12440136 - 04/22/10 08:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

What coir preparation teks do you guys suggest as far as pasteurization is concerned?

--------------------
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakes.

Are we but a moment found?
Or a moment lost, a moment unbound?

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12440179 - 04/22/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebigcrackrock
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12440374 - 04/22/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Some of the first threads I Seen people using it in were using jars so I did it a day or two later. I just checked that jar because of this thread and ended up having to break it because it was pinning on the sides.

OfflineHsu
Stranger

#12440431 - 04/22/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psychoanomaly said:
What coir preparation teks do you guys suggest as far as pasteurization is concerned?

Put coir in bucket.
Boil water
Pour boiling water in bucket
Let sit for 30 minutes.
Stir, cover, let cool overnight

You want to pasturize at 140-160f

or use this
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11916595

--------------------
LxWxH in inches then multiply .55 (the amount of fl oz in a square inch) then divide that number by 128 (the amount of fl oz in a gallon) to get an accurate amount of volume for the space.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: Hsu]
    #12440448 - 04/22/10 08:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hsu said:
Quote:

psychoanomaly said:

Put coir in bucket.
Boil water
Let sit for 30 minutes.

You want to pasturize at 140-160f

or use this
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11916595

easy as that.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: Hsu]
    #12440460 - 04/22/10 09:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hsu said:

Put coir in bucket.
Boil water
Let sit for 30 minutes.

That is not pasteurization and will lead to a high incidence of contamination.  You should NEVER pour boiling water on anything you're trying to pasteurize.  If the substrate exceeds 180F the chance of contamination is higher.  You should hydrate the coir and then slowly bring the temperature up to 140F and try to keep it there for one full hour.  Don't let it go above 160F.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12440482 - 04/22/10 09:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Hsu said:

Put coir in bucket.
Boil water
Let sit for 30 minutes.

That is not pasteurization and will lead to a high incidence of contamination.  You should NEVER pour boiling water on anything you're trying to pasteurize.  If the substrate exceeds 180F the chance of contamination is higher.  You should hydrate the coir and then slowly bring the temperature up to 140F and try to keep it there for one full hour.  Don't let it go above 160F.
RR

ok easy as that...

--------------------

OfflineHsu
Stranger

Re: Coffee - Pros/Cons [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12440505 - 04/22/10 09:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Hsu said:

Put coir in bucket.
Boil water
Let sit for 30 minutes.

RR

I totally respect your knowledge and take everything you say as the truth. However, I've found that adding ~200f water to a bucket with nothing but coir in it drops the temp to ~150.

I am well aware that it is bad to go over 160, which is why I included the temps for the new grower. Most people do not have a kitchen thermometer to even check so I still feel its safe to do it the way ive suggested because the temp should not be higher than 160, ever, even with adding boiling water.

edit: if you still feel the initial pouring of the boiling water has a negative impact I will not suggest this method again. Ive had little contam problems but if it is incorrect I will stop teaching it. I just was trying to help out. I know when I got into coir a few months ago there wasnt a clear, clean cut easy method. Ive had 100% success with all my coir prepared this way. And it is very easy to do.

--------------------
LxWxH in inches then multiply .55 (the amount of fl oz in a square inch) then divide that number by 128 (the amount of fl oz in a gallon) to get an accurate amount of volume for the space.

Edited by Hsu (04/22/10 09:10 PM)

Offlinebigcrackrock
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12440512 - 04/22/10 09:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Wish me luck people. That was the coir preparation tek I used. :sad:

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12440517 - 04/22/10 09:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

worked for me...

--------------------

OfflineHsu
Stranger

#12440536 - 04/22/10 09:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bigcrackrock said:
Wish me luck people. That was the coir preparation tek I used. :sad:

youll be fine, im telling you. Ive prepared over 10 bricks of coir that way and have not had a single contam. If you read Damion5050's tek he does the same thing (STEP 5 "Pour the boiling water into the 5 gallon bucket over the coir/verm mix.") thats coming from a trusted cultivator who has probably done coir a million times. No disrespect to RR as he is the mycology god in my eyes but your coir will be fine.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds