Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Best Beginner Casing?
    #1242056 - 01/23/03 05:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys/girls.

I wouldn't call myself seasoned by any means. I basically grew some mushies via PF Tek about 5-6 years ago. Way before any info was on the internet. Anyways, I used the regular PF TEK method with great results compared with what many people are getting on this board. I wasn't very careful, and they ended up super strong. Anyways..

I was dabbling around the internet a few weeks ago, getting ready to start back up, when I stumbled upon this site. I was amazed at how far the tech. behind growing has come. I'm starting back up with a small bulk grow. I was pretty much set on doing about 40 jars...ala PF tek style with some enhancers. The whole casing idea got my interested, but most of the posts I read on here are with a ton of different ideas, and setups. I'm really lost as to what I want to use.

I'm basically set on the idea that I will use 20 jars for PF, and the other 20 jars for casing.

I've read the FAQ, and as many threads as I could. I'm still somewhat lost on what casing tek I should follow for a beginner. If anyone could give me a link to a beginner friendly casing tek that produces good numbers, please let me know.

I'd prefer something other than super advanced. I'm 100% competent with most of this science, but I currently don't have time to devote to 20 hours of setup.

Thanks.

~u4ia~

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: u4ia]
    #1242145 - 01/23/03 06:26 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Offlinebadtz
producer
Loc: .
Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: ]
    #1242153 - 01/23/03 06:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

if you used perlite for the bottom layer in the big chamber, would you put the container [with the casing] on top of it when you place them inside ?

Anonymous

Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: badtz]
    #1242158 - 01/23/03 06:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My dog did, and all seems fine.

Anonymous

#1242176 - 01/23/03 06:38 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Coco coir has got to be the best basic casing for the beginer. Verm is easy, but it is hard to judge moisture content by sight. I have had good sucess with straight coco coir, some mive it 60/40 with verm to boost the water holding ability.
For your teK, Just make your top casing layer 1/8"-1/4" for each 1" Of substrate. Make sure your substrate is no less than 1" deep for best results.

Check your local pet store for reptile bedding (Bed a Beast).

Best of luck. AWG

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #1242236 - 01/23/03 06:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and say that cactus/succulent soil (Shultz brand is good) is the best casing material. My cat has been using it since he started this hobby, and it hasn't failed him yet! He's found that a 70/30 mix of soil/vermiculite helps keep the structure open and allows for good water retention. Just nuke it in the microwave for about 10 minutes in a saran-wrapped, microwave-safe container, let cool, then spoon over your colonized material.

The main advantages of using cactus soil:

1) Availability - You can get it at any gardening store, or even in the gardening section of most department stores.
2) Covertability - It's easy to come up with a valid reason for having cactus soil on hand.
3) Structure - Cactus soil is very loose in structure, and seems to resist clumping.

Coir might be just as good, but is somewhat difficult to find in my area. Never had a problem with the soil, though - even less than with straight vermiculite.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Anonymous

Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: FanaTEK]
    #1242267 - 01/23/03 07:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

FanaTEK,

My dog used All organis "Black Gold" soil for his first casing. He was warned that it would probably contam due to it contain both blood and bone meal. Does the Catus soil contain this?

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: ]
    #1242872 - 01/23/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Good question - I don't know. It doesn't have as many nutrients in it as regular potting soil does, though - cacti need very infrequent fertilizing.

I do know, however, that my cat has used this many times and hasn't run into any more contams with it than with straight, non-nutritive vermiculite. He's found that the mycelium colonizes the casing layer faster with soil, though. That's probably what keeps the contams down.

I'll check the back of the bag when I get home and will post another response if I discover anything.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #1243125 - 01/23/03 12:49 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I used a 50/50 mix of coir and verm on my first casing and it's pinning like hell right now.

~Peace

Anonymous

Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: Redstorm]
    #1243252 - 01/23/03 01:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

FanaTEK,

I would appreciate the comparison, my bag states:
"Screened worm casings and Candian sphagnum moss blended with bat guano, bone meal, blood meal, algit kelp, langbeinite, and oyster shell lime. Perlite and Pumice are added to ensure optimum pore and air space."

My dog would like to know if your cat's mixture contains any of the same :smile: 

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

#1254577 - 01/28/03 06:05 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys.

Looks like I'll just split up the cakes 50%.

50% to cake.

50% to casing.

That is, until I get some more space, and get a good method.

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, it's fun until you realize you are only screwing yourself.

OfflineBC-Shroom
Evil Genius inTraining

Loc: BC, Canada
    #1254632 - 01/28/03 06:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I wasn't very careful, and they ended up super strong.

Can you PLEASE elaborate (give more details) on that !
Peace
BC

--------------------
I regret to say that we of the F.B.I. are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. - J. Edgar Hoover

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

Loc: North Eastern United Stat...
    #1254700 - 01/28/03 06:40 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My friend said the easiest way to case is with straight verm, theres some great links in the faq, under casing, i think the verm one is "casing for simple minds".... or something like that. really don't need it though, just put verm on bottom, wet with peroxide andwater, then crumble your cakes, the add more verm and wet it again with the peroxide/water solution then put back in your incubation chamber (@86d) for about seven days checking every few days to patch the fast myc growth, then initiate pinning.

--------------------
"I think its time to hit the sack, then i'll probably just go to bed" ~ NSKiller

Offlineu4ia
enthusiast

Re: Best Beginner Casing? [Re: NSKiller]
    #1259898 - 01/29/03 05:48 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I made them exactly according to PF Tek's manual.

There was no internet at the time to speak of, so not very many caution tips.  I made about 8 cakes the first time, one died. 

Most of my more experienced friends thought the same, they were super strong.

Majority were eaten fresh, maybe that's why.

Exactly why, I couldn't tell you, I picked every shroom, even the rotten ones.  Maybe that's why. :wink:

--------------------

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1259942 - 01/29/03 06:11 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

look up 'sea of shrooms' tek . it doesn't get much easer then that . :smirk: 

InvisibleSubGen1us

#1259973 - 01/29/03 06:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Id recomend Birdseed

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag