Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleackiefan87
Lizard farmer
Male

Loc: between the flat one and ...
Homemade magnetic stir plate/ stir bar compatibility issues?
    #12399996 - 04/15/10 08:29 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone use stir bars like these  http://www.amazon.com/Fisherbrand-Octagonal-Magnetic-Stir-Surface/dp/B0017YCDC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1271383769&sr=8-1
with homemade stir plates using hard drive magnets? I found a couple of these and figured I'd give it a shot. My stirrer works OK with bits of wire, but when I put these in they just bounce erratically or lodge themselves in a corner no matter what the speed is set at. Is it a polarity issue? Maybe the wrong kind of magnet? I've tried with a 1", and a 2" bar with the same results.

--------------------
"Now, I may not understand it, I may not necessarily agree with it, but I'll tell you what, I accept it, just sort of glide along. You want to keep things on an even keel, I guess it's what I'm saying, you want to go with the flow. The sea refuses no river. The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. Saves on introductions and good byes. The ride does not require explanation, just occupance, that's where you guys come in." -BCG

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12480081

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade magnetic stir plate/ stir bar compatibility issues? [Re: ackiefan87]
    #12400252 - 04/15/10 09:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The magnets are polarized differently than you probably think, is what's happening.  Try it out with a loose magnet and the stirrer bar until you figure out the right arrangement than lock that in on the stir plate.  Or get a different magnet for the stirrer, the HD ones are Neodyms and you can get Neodyms of any size and shape you want easily online.  Even teflon coated as cylinders for exactly this app...

Peace
-PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinedrumjam
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: Homemade magnetic stir plate/ stir bar compatibility issues? [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #12401508 - 04/16/10 01:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Had the same problem, and I use those bars.

It could be the mag that your using in the stir plate but I found that it's the curve bottom of the jars that are the problem with these bars.

For me I start off slow and the move up, sometimes it takes a few tries.

The only other thing I could think of is that the polarity of the plate mag is off.  I made mine longer in order to create a wider field and that help.

GL

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Homemade magnetic stir plate/ stir bar compatibility issues? [Re: drumjam]
    #12402637 - 04/16/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have this problem but only a little. Sometimes the stirring bar is just shaking somewhere but I think it's because the rotating magnetic field is not perfectly balanced or centered. If I get the rod/bar in the right place it rotates and stirs though, because I did my best to get my neodymium unit in the center. I did that by testing it before glueing, shifting the position to get the bar in the center, it doesn't mean that the magnet itself has to be in the center, it has a weird shape and therefore probably a warped magnetic field.

Invisibleackiefan87
Lizard farmer
Male

Loc: between the flat one and ...
Re: Homemade magnetic stir plate/ stir bar compatibility issues? [Re: Solipsis]
    #12406644 - 04/16/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys! You've given me a lot of ideas to play around with. I'm sure I'll come up with something, and if not wire bits it is.

--------------------
"Now, I may not understand it, I may not necessarily agree with it, but I'll tell you what, I accept it, just sort of glide along. You want to keep things on an even keel, I guess it's what I'm saying, you want to go with the flow. The sea refuses no river. The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure while always arriving. Saves on introductions and good byes. The ride does not require explanation, just occupance, that's where you guys come in." -BCG

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12480081

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order