Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezandorf
OTD residentvirginwizard-abstinenceain'teasy

heat distribution
    #1239691 - 01/22/03 11:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

my house is colder than a witch's tit. so i plan to use a heating pad to warm up my fruiting area. i have a very large rubbermaid tub which i will floor with styrofoam blocks for insulation, heating pad on top of that. but i dont want to set my 2 gallons freezer bags with casing sin them directly on the heating bad, i want the heat to be distributed evenly on the floor.

my question is what kinds of materials distribute heat well? preferably materials that can either be obtained in the color black or painted that way... so that the light i shine on it will warm it.

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: heat distribution [Re: zandorf]
    #1239738 - 01/22/03 11:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My brother, I feel your pain, My apartment maintains an ambient temp. of about 48f during the day while I'm at work. When I get home, and I get the woodstove kicking, it'a about 90f and head level and 60f down on the floor. I am having on HELL of a time maintaining temps in my fruiting chamber. I've tried heating pads (3 at once) but no dice, at best I can keep it 60f in there during the day (70 to 75f when I'm home), I now have a space heater aimed at the outside of the fruiting chamber, which seems to be keeping the temps in the low to mid 70's all day. All I can do is hope that this will be enough to fruit. We're suffering through one of the coldest winters on record out where I am, my incubator has been running like a champ all through this, but I have yet to fruit anything other then abhorts.

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Edited by Loop_Theorist (01/22/03 11:15 AM)

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1239749 - 01/22/03 11:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Have either of you guys tryed using Anno's incubator tek (but for a terrarium)? It's helped me out quite a bit: http://www.fungifun.org/pf/incubator.htm

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Offlinezandorf

Re: heat distribution [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #1239753 - 01/22/03 11:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

it's record cold here as well. actually my one heating pad has been sufficient for the last grow. the problem was that they old clothes i used to insulate and regulate the heat were so tall that my mushies were cramped for head room you see...

so i was thinking for my next one i'd ue styrofoam as that's much more efficient as insulation.

but i still need something compact which could distribute the heat evenly, i dont want the middle casing or two to have hot feet and the outer ones to be colder.

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

Offlinezandorf

Re: heat distribution [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1239764 - 01/22/03 11:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

that's awesome but i don't have heat problems so much as i do space problems.

this setup, practical and creative as it is, would only compound my problems, sadly  :frown: 

--------------------

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #1239765 - 01/22/03 11:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Angry: I have, but I'm worried that I wont find a submersible heater powerfull enough, my fruiting chamber is a 60 gal. rubbermade (yes, I have a LOT of casings)

-Loop

--------------------

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1239783 - 01/22/03 11:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Angry: I have, but I'm worried that I wont find a submersible heater powerfull enough, my fruiting chamber is a 60 gal. rubbermade (yes, I have a LOT of casings)

-Loop

Buy a 300 watt submersible aquarium heater for the Winter months.
And wrap your incubator up in a blanket or some insulation.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

#1239793 - 01/22/03 11:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmmmmmmm......well, I don't know too much about space heaters, and it sounds like space is more of an issue for you. I'm not sure.

And Loop, try looking around. You should be able to find a heater (or combine a couple) in order to help jack up temperatures a bit. I got my aquarium heater from this website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3743 (I noticed a heater made for a 90 gal. aquarium there)

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #1239821 - 01/22/03 11:44 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Angry: thanks for the link, I found juuust what I need and 20 bucks less then I would pay at the store, luv ya bro!

-Loop

--------------------

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

#1239826 - 01/22/03 11:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

No prob Loop  :grin:   

--------------------

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1240190 - 01/22/03 01:49 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

a few thoughts for you guys dealing with fluctuating ambient temps .
the best insulation, is dead air space . like double glazed windows .
best and cheapist heat conductor is water .
ok, now lets stimulate the ol' thinking process .
figure out what your needs are .do a little research .
then, get stoned and start thinking creative .
i bet you can do it, if you put your mind to it . :grin: 

damn spell cheacker is broke :mad: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale