Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenismo2491
i will teach you real kung fu
Male User Gallery

Loc: On The Beach, FL Flag
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: koraks]
    #12390599 - 04/14/10 06:29 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
anyways i could have sworn i just got done reading about a week ago how obama was cutting nasa funds and also said we weren't going to the moon for a long long time

NASA's mission is broader than just putting people on the moon, and if possible bringing them back. Also, its importance is wider than just space exploration: through the engineering problems it defines, NASA becomes a potential customer for all those small and larger firms that have interesting technologies that await commercialization. So in fact, Obama is pumping $6B into your economy through NASA.

but i do believe space was its intended goal and main goal.  instead it looks like were working on building a space "base" instead.

All good, but my message is simply: it doesn't matter what NASA actually does, fact of the matter is that if you give it a shitload of money, then it's going to spend a shitload of money. And that's going to come to the advantage of an entire network of businesses. I'm pretty sure that's an (perhaps _the_) important motive for this investment. Any access to space we might gain is a nice bonus at this point.

yeah, the basic feeling around here for the Harris, DRS, etc. employees (all major defense subcontractors down here that work with Nasa) is that they are pretty much fucked when the shuttle ends.  And I'm talking double digit thousands of people fucked. And all in one localized area, that very much, depends on the space program.  The space program, with tourism being in second place, is the driving force of the Brevard County FL economy.

--------------------
Semi-Official Shroomery Fantasy Hockey 2010 League
"I just solved world peace! Everybody just needs to take a piss!"
Ythan said: nismo2491 won the ban lotto for the week of May 09, 2010
Shroomery - #1 Distraction from Studying

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #12390602 - 04/14/10 06:30 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, but 120000 mushroom farms are going to produce lots and lots of mushrooms. That's it. Putting $6B into NASA is supposedly going to be an impulse for a high tech industry that might come up with technologies that will advance us as a species much more than a ton of mushrooms. I think that's the theory here. And although I realize very well that I'm simplifying stuff that is really quite complicated, you cannot dismiss this line of thinking just that easily.

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12390610 - 04/14/10 06:33 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Yes, but 120000 mushroom farms are going to produce lots and lots of mushrooms. That's it. Putting $6B into NASA is supposedly going to be an impulse for a high tech industry that might come up with technologies that will advance us as a species much more than a ton of mushrooms. I think that's the theory here. And although I realize very well that I'm simplifying stuff that is really quite complicated, you cannot dismiss this line of thinking just that easily.

definitely, there is a lot of stuff around today that came from the space program.  bubble wrap and tempur-pedic come to mind. Yeah it sounds like inconsequential stuff, but those are just the first two that come to mind. i'm sure a lot of "technology" has come out of the different programs.  just not sure exactly what specific items off the top of my head.

--------------------
Semi-Official Shroomery Fantasy Hockey 2010 League
"I just solved world peace! Everybody just needs to take a piss!"
Ythan said: nismo2491 won the ban lotto for the week of May 09, 2010
Shroomery - #1 Distraction from Studying

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12390613 - 04/14/10 06:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

so people should suffer so a bunch of wasteful fat bastereds in nasa get to spend millions of dollars on the next PEN?

and what about the people coming up with inventions, it used to happen right?  I wonder why not so much anymore?  because they are all suffering more now, living busier lives, to finance others, like those in NASA?

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (04/14/10 06:36 AM)

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12390621 - 04/14/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
so people should suffer so a bunch of wasteful fat bastereds in nasa get to spend millions of dollars on the next PEN?

haha I can't remember the exact quote but it had to do with Russia and the USA, how much money the USA spent to develop a pen that would write in zero-g, upside down, water, etc.  The russians, spent no money however, they just used a pencil

Quote:

and what about the people coming up with inventions, it used to happen right?  I wonder why not so much anymore?  because they are all suffering more now, living busier lives, to finance others, like those in NASA?

I don't think the actual inventions are as common right now. I think it is more research and stuff being done in space.  I don't think anybody on here can really say, further than speculation, what is coming out of NASA (innovation wise) right now.

Invisiblekoraks
    #12390623 - 04/14/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:

The question is if you spend those $6B in another way, if that will reduce the overall suffering more than spending it on NASA. Moreover, it's not 'either-or', it's 'and-and'. On the US budget, $6B is nothing.

Quote:

and what about the people coming up with inventions, it used to happen right?
  I wonder why not so much anymore?

I'm not sure that statement is true. I'm not convinced at all that inventiveness has decreased. It's evidently your perception, but what is it based on? One thing I do suspect is this: as a society becomes more and more prosperous and offers more forms of social security, entrepreneurship will decline as a result of people becoming less dependent on their own devices than when they had no social security at all. A decline in entrepreneurship is often regarded as a symptom of some sort of decline of society, while in fact, it is a clear indication that a society is thriving. But entrepreneurship does not equal invention.

Edited by koraks (04/14/10 06:41 AM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #12390637 - 04/14/10 06:51 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

people need food, always have always will.  Not everyone gets a meal everynight, so id have to say our problem right now should be feeding them, once we get the "basic's" worked out, then we can start spending money on research.  im sure half of what nasa makes will be military inclined at this point...it wouldn't surprize me anyway.  it seems like a common saying, but we gotta fix our shit before we worry about fucking up another planet.  If people never had to worry about food, if that problem was wiped out, don't you think that would be a hell of a lot more important, and make everyting else we do alot easier...including w/e it is NASA is sopposed to be doing.

and it is either or, that 6B either went to NASA, OR it went somewhere else.

as for inventiveness, i already mentioned why, people are more busy these days, and have bigger worrys, and they have the lovely NASAINS to do the inventing so why should they bother?

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (04/14/10 06:54 AM)

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12390672 - 04/14/10 07:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
people need food, always have always will.  Not everyone gets a meal everynight, so id have to say our problem right now should be feeding them, once we get the "basic's" worked out, then we can start spending money on research.  im sure half of what nasa makes will be military inclined at this point...it wouldn't surprize me anyway.  it seems like a common saying, but we gotta fix our shit before we worry about fucking up another planet.  If people never had to worry about food, if that problem was wiped out, don't you think that would be a hell of a lot more important, and make everyting else we do alot easier...including w/e it is NASA is sopposed to be doing.

and it is either or, that 6B either went to NASA, OR it went somewhere else

as for inventiveness, i already mentioned why, people are more busy these days, and have bigger worrys, and they have the lovely NASAINS to do the inventing so why should they bother?

6b is not going to solve the food crisis, not even come close. But if we discover a renewable energy source on a not-too-distant planet, that is cheap, and doesn't pollute the environment, that'll free up a lot of resources to be used elsewhere.

I was really stoned, and really late at night but watched a show that focused on some of the things that have come out of nasa, the two I mentioned already are the only ones I remember... but I do remember that a lot of the stuff they showed wasn't military related. yes, a lot of nasa research can and will be applied to militaristic achievements.  but a lot of nasa research also trickles down into regular civilian life.  NASA, for the most part, doesn't invent stuff.  But they do make the discoveries that allow scientist here on earth to invent stuff.

two options (yeah there's more, but for sake of simpleness and argument):
a) take 6b, dump it into farms, feed a bunch of needy people, and 6b is gone, for the most part.

b) take 6b, dump it into NASA.  Nasa scientist doesn't lose his job, and goes and spends his bit of that money at Panera Bread tonight, college student helping him at panera bread still has a job and goes to school, graduates, makes money, spends money, helps to keep many people with a job.

the 6b is not gone if its dumped into nasa, its just recycled into the economy, but, for the most part, if you use that 6b to feed the needy, its essentially donating that 6b and its gone.

Not sure about you, but I don't remember too many instances of a homeless guy inventing anything.

as for bigger worries:
just quick looked it up:
23,000 are expected to lose jobs in BREVARD COUNTY (thats, one county, not widespread across the USA, and trust me, this county already isn't doing too hot due to the recession)
1 tech job (of which the majority of those 23k jobs are) creates 3 entry-level positions (grocers, food service, etc).
thats over 60k people right there, alone. Not to mention the hit the housing market, construction, etc on the space coast is going to take if nasa goes capput. most of these people do not directly work for nasa either, but rather for sub-contractors who have already laid off a lot of people around here.

Quote:

lack of inventiveness, do you realize how much technology has advanced recently. shit, most of the top ten in demand jobs didn't exist 10 years ago.  how's that for inventiveness.  just because nobody has invented a lightbulb recently doesn't mean inventiveness doesn't happen every day.  patents are hard to come by for a reason.  its not so much actual inventions anymore as it is innovations and refining already existing products.

Edited by nismo2491 (04/14/10 07:10 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #12390678 - 04/14/10 07:09 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
people need food, always have always will.  Not everyone gets a meal everynight, so id have to say our problem right now should be feeding them, once we get the "basic's" worked out, then we can start spending money on research. 

I don't think you can suspend the economy to solve the worldwide food problem. I think you have to work on both. If you focus solely on the food problem, your society will dwindle and the American dream will become a huge nightmare overnight. So spend money on research in order to stimulate the economy, which will generate money and a part of that you can (should) spend on humanitarian aid. I think that's a more sustainable, less short-sighted way of doing things.

Quote:

I think that logic is flawed on too many levels to seriously debate. It is debatable if people are actually busier these days than before (when, exactly? 10 yrs ago? 50? 500?). Nor are their worries greater (health care, social security, life expectancy, financial security: all substantially improved over the past decades). And someone (NASA) inventing stuff being an impediment to other people inventing stuff? I don't follow that. Invention isn't exclusive. More than one entity in the world can invent. Moreover, it's often not even NASA that does all the inventing that's necessary for its missions. A lot of it occurs in its vast network of technology partners and suppliers, which should be benefited by the current plan.

I think we don't just differ in opinion on this issue, we differ in our views that underly our respective concepts of society.

Edited by koraks (04/14/10 07:10 AM)

Offlinenismo2491
Male User Gallery

#12390688 - 04/14/10 07:11 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I think we don't just differ in opinion on this issue, we differ in our views that underly our respective concepts of society.

+1
smartest thing I heard during this whole debate.

for the guy who thinks that 6b could solve the food problem:
next time you're going to the mall, grocery store, movies, etc:
don't. rather than keep decent food in the fridge get the 7c a packet ramen noodles (and nothing else), and take all your extra money and feed needy people... not so easy when its put that way is it?

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: nismo2491]
    #12391877 - 04/14/10 12:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i don't recall saying it would solve our food problem, i think i said it would help alot, alot more than 6B to NASA.  We don't know what NASA will invent or come up with...if anything, with the 6B.  Its an unknown.  But id venture to guess it would be less rather than more.

and yes I'm well aware of over population and how what I could do would help, but this isn't about me, but since i pay taxes, yah kinda. So even if im not eating ramens, im already doing my part by paying all the fucked up taxes, but its up to the gov to use it right.  When the country is hurting they shouldn't be pouring out the money, and it sure as hell shouldn't be going towards nasa for more pens, foam beds, and bubble wrap. This is about our government and what it can do.  As it stands not only do they not care about overpopulation, they encourage it.  Meanwhile making no improvements to the farm industry, other than some ethanol plants to help further shorten our food supplies.

As for your plan A.  how do mushroom farms just disappear?  As for plan B.  how do mushroom farms not provide jobs and stimulate the economy?:confused:  the 6B was to build the farms, not buy mushrooms from china.  as such the farms can recycle waste, and be run by volunteers.

farms to stimulate the economy, if anything they do it MORE.  These foods are renewable, its a real product that is here and now, and highly desired and always will be, technology that isn't here and now, and old technology that gets phased out and becomes meaningless....is wasteful.  So in actuality its the farms that are going to win in your A, and B scenarios.

as for worries, i think people have a shitload more to worry about these days rather than back in the day.  That's why we have pills for just about every human emotion, and as for health its getting worse not better.  We might live longer due to life support, but that does not mean we are healthier.  In fact if you break it down to an individuals life, and compare it with now and back in the day, today your going to have ALOT more problems during your life.  as for social security, how do people not worry about that, its said it most likely won't even be here.  as for financial security, i don't think the housing crisis was such a problem back in the day either.  Altho i guess i am going kinda way back, but its to point out that all this technology does not help us, it just sucks our resources away from us and i know its not just technology that does it, big gov is also to blame.

and i already mentioned, people live busier lives and if you want to know when...anytime in the past.  The more complex society gets, the more overpopulated, the more everyone has to chip in, that's the way it works.  and when you suck the resources from the population, that is going to put a bit of a hamper on inventions don't you think?  Plus think about what you can all purchase from a store...not much.  its all kiddy proofed and intended to prevent people from DYI'ing.  They barely stock sheet metal anymore, and copper pipes are becoming something for royalty.  The days of making things ourselves is coming to an end.  Were only allowed to build what people have blueprints for, and that's all the stores are going to keep in stock.  I'm sure threes some kind of safety class inventors need to take but they don't offer that, so i guess you just wait to be arrested when your potato launcher goes weary

--------------------

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: makaveli8x8] * 1
    #12392028 - 04/14/10 01:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I pray Palin runs in 2012.  Another landslide (by todays standards) victory for Obama would be assured.

Tpers are (by in-large) morons who have no clue how thier government works.  They scream about lowering taxes, yet offer no alternatives on how they plan on paying for their military and police protection, schools, roads, and yes, even their healthcare (a good percentage of TPers are close to or already drawing from medicare.)  It's like all these 'libertarian' party folks who keep claiming that taxes are illegal and should be abolished.  Ok fine, then explain how you think things should work...  We going back to community defense militias?  Good luck fighting all of your ghosts with that kind of technology.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Invisiblebryguy27007
Cosmonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: ShockValue]
    #12392079 - 04/14/10 01:11 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I fully support this.

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: Coaster]
    #12392133 - 04/14/10 01:19 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
hes emphasizing how hes going to create lots more sustainable jobs
i think hes going to get reelected
:awehigh:

best thing ive heard from obama.    maybe nasa will start the search for alien planets  :wink:

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: skatealex2] * 1
    #12392352 - 04/14/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

According to a bunch of people we've already been to mars :shrug:

Anyone believe that?

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: x Ju x]
    #12392363 - 04/14/10 01:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

No.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinepmb
Male

Loc: Washington
    #12392372 - 04/14/10 01:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Probes yeah, but untill a man physically steps foot on a planet we havn't been there.

--------------------
Don't smell the flowers, They're an evil drug to make you lose your mind

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

#12392522 - 04/14/10 02:24 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

x Ju x said:
According to a bunch of people we've already been to mars :shrug:

Anyone believe that?

weve had robots in mars but no people have actually went...    from what i last heard, nasa was planning to go to the moon in 2020  and after that work on getting to mars.    imo it would make sense to set the goal straight for mars, as weve been to the moon before... according to them at least

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: skatealex2]
    #12392551 - 04/14/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

wait, but I thought their budget was being cut?

http://bigthink.com/ideas/19420

--------------------
smack a hoe out this dimension
continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, zappaisgod, big worm (sketch), tim b

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: Obama is increasing the NASA budget by Six Billion [Re: Envix]
    #12392608 - 04/14/10 02:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I'm actually related to someone who was part of the mars rover team. :thumbup:

But SOME people have said that we've actually had people on mars, but it's a black project. :rolleyes: Interesting stuff though.

But I agree. They should set a mission for mars and leave the moon alone.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates