Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Shrooms custody case resolved, show and tell, etc...
    #1238721 - 01/22/03 07:20 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Allrighty evrybody, after much paranoia and waiting, I have taken custody of 9 shroom jars that I made new years eve at a freinds house. My freind let me keep the jars to innoculate at their house. However, I am now able to take custody of them and have moved them to my place. I have 2 jars that are just about complete, and 2 that are doing very well as well. The other jars are between 50-75% done. I started with ten and gave the best looking one to the aforementioned freind to keep for her own, and it is residing in a homemade pop bottle terrarium at her place, ala "Poor Man's Terrarium" tek. The others I have put in my homemade terrarium:

At the point that I took the picture, I did not include perlite at the bottom, christmas lights around the side, and a tupperware bowl in the middle for the heater to reside in. The rubbermade container was placed into a well insulated box, to prevent heat loss, and to keep light out. I also bought a temperature and humidity gauges that are on the side of the box from a pet store. I will post an updated picture later today of progress to the present.

Now I have a few questions...

1.) The shrooms were kept in a closet while they innoculated at my freinds place in a box, and I believe that the temp was never more than the mid 70's to upper 80's. I moved the jars into my terrarium where I can keep high humidity and warmer temps. This morning they were in the upper 70's, and this afternoon when I checked one em, the temp was almost 81. I turned down the temperature on the heater to about 85 (It was originally set at the max of 94 degrees), and I'll see how the temperature fluctuates . I want to get the temp around a steady 75. These temp fluctuations shouldn't hurt the shrooms to bad as I try to get to the optimum temp should they? They were kept at a lower innoc temp, but now I can get them up to 75 or better.

2.) I looked at the humidity gauge earlier this morning and it was about 80% when the temp was around 78. However, it looked as if the temp was a little bit too high, because the sides were covered with droplets, and it just seemed a lil too humid to me. ( I worked in a nursery for 3 summers, and I have a good idea when things start getting too wet.) Could the humidity gauge be off, because I heard that humidity levels should be in the 95% range, but it seemed to damn wet in there to me, there water collecting at the top and sides, but I might be a lil paranoid.

3.) Out of the nine jars I have in the terrarium, all but two have the holes taped up. Two however, are not. (I wanted to see if it made a difference, this being my first grow and all) One is the second jar I have that is almost completely colonized, but the other is about 70% colonized but the bottom. Im afraid some water dripped into the jar and now the bottom looks mushier than it was before, and the bottom is the least colonized part of the cake. I put loose foil lids over both jars after seeing this, but should I be worried? Because I am very nervous about this jar because of this.

4.) It seems that there is some yellow stuff on the sides of one cake, but the part that is yellow is colonized. I am assuming this may be "mycacellium piss", but I could be wrong. I'll post pic's of it later tonight when I update this thread.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
Re: Shrooms custody case resolved, show and tell, etc... [Re: biglo]
    #1238848 - 01/22/03 08:10 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

While the jars are incubating, the humidity is not important, just warm temperature. However, this will give you time to get the humidity just right. If you are planning on just fruiting the cakes, then you want your humidity pretty much as high as possible. If you plan on using casings, 80% is sufficient and too much is bad.

--------------------

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
    #1238883 - 01/22/03 08:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The shrooms were kept in a closet while they innoculated

i think you mean incubated. you *inoculated* the jars before you incubated them.

Quote:

These temp fluctuations shouldn't hurt the shrooms to bad as I try to get to the optimum temp should they?

probably not.

Quote:

it looked as if the temp was a little bit too high, because the sides were covered with droplets

you've got it backwards. higher temperatures reduce relative humidity not increase it.

Quote:

Could the humidity gauge be off, because I heard that humidity levels should be in the 95% range

could be.

Quote:

Im afraid some water dripped into the jar

i'm a little confused. aside from the heater, why is any water involved while your are incubating your jars? you shouldn't need any humidification during incubation. also if water can drip into your jars then so can contams.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Edited by Bilge (01/22/03 08:33 AM)

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Shrooms custody case resolved, show and tell, etc... [Re: Bilge]
    #1239210 - 01/22/03 10:31 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay here's a picture of my setup:

Im only using a 100W submersible aquarium heater as the main source of humidification and heat. I put the heater in a bowl of water so that it can effectively heat and humidify the thing without the bulb burning out. (Which it shouldn't because it has a temperature gauge that tells it when to shut off) I also have battery powered christmas lights strung up around the sides for whenever I need to start pinning. I think I found a happy medium as far as temperature and humidity go, I have a steady 75 degrees, and humidity at about 80-85% I have the jars in there right now because that is the only place that they can stay at 75. (My avg room temperature is 68-71 degrees) The only reason water got into my one jar was because I didn't tape the holes on 2 of 9 jars to see how they did, however I need to make a drip sheild because the whole rubbermaid top is covered with water droplets, and some water got into the unsealed jar. I just grinned and beared it by putting some loose aluminum foil over the tops so water doesn't get in those two jars.

My ultimate plan is to fruit the cakes as cakes, and I may case some of the slow pokes later on. For now Im just waiting for about three jars to finish colonizing the last little bits so I can birth them sometime next week if Im lucky. Let me know what ya think.

PS Sorry about screwing up vocabulary, this is my first grow but I have a pretty good grasp on what Im doing, and hopefully this will be a success. It been about three weeks with no noticeable contams on any jars (10/10!) up to this point, just gotta wait for the slow pokes and the other jars to finish up.

PPS - If its been three weeks since innoculation, how much longer should it take for my babies to finish up colonizing? (PF strain) Im growing them on cooked brown rice.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #1239405 - 01/22/03 11:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you have lighting in your incubator?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineJssMthrFcknChrst
Son of the LordGod Almighty

Loc: Vatican City
    #1239420 - 01/22/03 11:45 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I guess your setup will work fine, however, having the jars covered prevents air exchange, slowing growth. If you have a verm barrier on top of the jars, you shouldn't have any problem leaving the holes untaped and uncovered by tin foil as long as you prevent water from dripping on them.

Quote:

If its been three weeks since innoculation, how much longer should it take for my babies to finish up colonizing?

bad question. Too many variables in this. A large factor is how densly packed the substrate is. Usually it is advised to wait at least 1 to 2 weeks after the outside of the cake has colonized before birthing, to insure that the inside is complete.

Good Luck
jssmthrfcknchrst

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shrooms custody case resolved, show and tell, etc... [Re: JssMthrFcknChrst]
    #1239595 - 01/22/03 12:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

While the jars are incubating, the humidity is not important, just warm temperature.

Not exactly true.
If you were incubating your jars in dry heat...the jars would dry out.
So humidity is a factor.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Shrooms custody case resolved, show and tell, etc... [Re: Roadkill]
    #1239652 - 01/22/03 12:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well i think you need to decide if you have a terrarium, or an incubator.  Plus your cakes look pretty close to the side or your incurrarium....
just my 2 cents..
Good Luck with your first grow! :smile:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation