Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Sudden feelings of hopelessness [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #12385861 - 04/13/10 02:46 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Ah ok, sorry about those earlier posts. I kind of got the wrong idea. Emotional investment and all that.:ashamed:

I think my position now is that the meds do work but they are not the whole answer. Without them and the confidence and mental clarity they bring, I would never even have considered looking for ways to change myself for the better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavík
    #12386187 - 04/13/10 03:39 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Um, probably because I was interested in debating that particular matter, because, IMO, no medicine will replace working with oneself, and some people in this thread were suggesting that you abandon all your therapy plans and start taking meds?

One could easily spend the rest of their life in psychotheraphy, examining archetypes, dreams, motivations, there is honestly no end to it. At one point does the person say "I am tired of trying to understand who I am?"

Why do we only go to psychotheraphy when we are not happy? Why don't happy people wish to understand why they are happy? Have you ever met a man in counseling trying to figure out why he thinks flowers are pretty? Why he loves his wife? No, the man only goes to counseling when the world seems ugly and his wife no longer loves him.

I think happiness comes to us when we learn to let go, but trying to let go is not truly letting go, you are still trying to do something.

How does one not do? How does one think "not thinking"?

Whatever decision the OP makes, it will be the right decision. Whether he decides to go to psychotherapy, decides to stay on or try a different medication, or decides to sell bidi cigarettes at a newsstand in Mumbai, India.

OfflineCMACD
The Sto)))ve
Male User Gallery

Loc: too scared Flag
Re: Sudden feelings of hopelessness [Re: appleorange]
    #12386511 - 04/13/10 04:44 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

having gone on SSRIs, I'm sure you've had this run by you, but are you eating properly? Have you tried a higher quality multivitamin with extracts from stuff that's good for your brain but you don't usually get? Omega 3 fatty acids? Not that I have the same problem you do, but I've found these things to do wonders for my emotional stability.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Sudden feelings of hopelessness [Re: appleorange]
    #12386522 - 04/13/10 04:46 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

appleorange said:
One could easily spend the rest of their life in psychotheraphy, examining archetypes, dreams, motivations, there is honestly no end to it. At one point does the person say "I am tired of trying to understand who I am?"

You are most definitely talking about psychoanalysis; OP was mentioning CBT. Before making statements such as the one I'm quoting, try reading a bit into what CBT is, and then judge.
This is a far better choice than psychoanalysis in terms of time, efficiency, and long-lastingness. CBT gives one the possibility to keep exploring themselves not only during the therapy, but even after; it actually turns a person into a self-empowered individual, willing to enjoy life, and capable of experiencing whatever life has to offer, without feeling unnecessary guilt, loneliness, alienation, fear of being different and rejected, etc.
IMO, most people receive a nocive education from the first months of their lives, and by the time they're adults they have so many self-destructing and conflicting programmings that they barely have any space to breathe and relax. It's really insane just how many things we swallow without even wondering what they mean, or sometimes without even knowing that they're there, affecting us in our day to day lives.
Psychoanalysis proposes going through a long and laborious process of pain and emotional torture, by encouraging one to go through ALL one's painful memories until one has an insight (something that might take years and years) that's meant to change their life-long perception. Of course, this thing is highly unrealistic considering that people usually don't make any considerable changes in their personalities just because one single powerful impulse, and this is why this kind of psychotherapy takes years and years with barely any result.
CBT goes right to the core of the problems, by helping one identify one's self-sabotaging cognitive schemas - the beliefs they hold about life due to which they're feeling unhappy, unfulfilled and worthless. With this kind of therapy, one has the chance to explore how fun and intriguing it is to challenge their beliefs and how invigorating it can feel to start trying out different kinds of behaviors.
I'm sorry you made the wrong decision and chose the therapy that didn't help you, but this doesn't mean that other people won't have any success with going to a psychologist.

Quote:

Why do we only go to psychotheraphy when we are not happy? Why don't happy people wish to understand why they are happy? Have you ever met a man in counseling trying to figure out why he thinks flowers are pretty? Why he loves his wife? No, the man only goes to counseling when the world seems ugly and his wife no longer loves him.

What happy people aren't trying to find the answers to these questions?
All the genuinely happy people I have met (myself included), love to explore themselves and have an unquenchable curiosity regarding all the aspects of reality.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavík
    #12386711 - 04/13/10 05:16 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

:lol: mushroomtrip, you're really feisty, you know that?

I know what CBT is, I suggested to the OP that he try it out. On the first page I said:

"CBT does sound very promising from what I've read and I encourage you to try that out if possible. I wouldn't set your hopes too high though in making progress with a psychologist."

Quote:

What happy people aren't trying to find the answers to these questions?
All the genuinely happy people I have met (myself included), love to explore themselves and have an unquenchable curiosity regarding all the aspects of reality.

Happy people don't ask questions. To ask questions means you are seeking something. If you are seeking something, you must feel incomplete.

If you feel incomplete, how can you be happy?

Edited by appleorange (04/13/10 05:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order