Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Starting a garden this year. Pics.
    #12385065 - 04/13/10 12:36 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

This year I wanted to start a garden. I went and picked up trays and seeds to start them off a couple of weeks ago. One tray is for the garden, and the other is for herbs that we are going to plant in window boxes and keep them at the bay window.

We have in this one:

Big Boy Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Broccoli, Green Beans, Hot Lemon Peppers, Jalapeño Peppers, and a 5 Hot Pepper mix.

In this one we planted:

Basil, Cilantro, Chives, Oregano, Parsley, Lavender and Cat Grass.

Here is the garden that we tiled up yesterday. It took 5 hours to till, remove the sod, till again and then dump the sod over bare parts in my lawn around trees that needed fill dirt. It's 15ft X 22ft. (I know, the back of the garage could use a cleaning.)

We are directly planting Bi-Licious Hybrid Sweet Corn, Cucumbers, Summer Squash and Onions when the garden is ready. We have to till it a few more times and add in some compost that I had here already when we moved in. I started my own compost pile 3 years ago and it will be done next year enough to use it. Other than that we might throw in some bag soil if we need to.

I really hope we have enough light back here. It gets maybe 5 or 6 hours of hardcore direct sunlight. After that it the sun is filtered behind trees or a house. This garden would be so much better on the side of our house, but it's a ridiculous place for a garden. Everyone tells me that this is a great place despite some shade throughout the day.

I will update this whenever we do anything in it. Hopefully I don't fuck this all up. It's our first garden together, but we both have worked in gardens when we were kids. Thank goodness for grandmothers. I hope I can teach my grandkids how to garden someday. I'm sure we know enough to keep stuff alive. I'm testing the soil tonight so that will be my first update.

If anyone wants to know, we bought Burpee brand seeds from Menard's. Also, the dog in the picture is a Shetland Sheepdog and his name is Sherlock. Best dog ever!

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (04/13/10 12:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForestHermit
Hermit

Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: Kada]
    #12385213 - 04/13/10 01:00 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Great pics and Good Luck.

Most full sunlight crops only require 6  hours of direct sunlight to thrive so it should be just fine.

Once you have more gardening experience, Id recommend learning about heirloom crops and seed saving. The crops over multiple generations of saved seed will begin to adapt and produce better in your conditions vs varieties not adapted to your conditions.

I cant wait to get my garden planted. Ive been tilling but still too cold around here as we still hit below freezing at night some nights yet.

Ive been growing heirlooms for years now and find that they tend to taste better than hybrids and are more fun to grow IMO.

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: ForestHermit]
    #12385314 - 04/13/10 01:17 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

I really really wish that I could have gotten my grandmas seeds before she died. Her seeds were from her mom from like 1910. I bet my aunt has some of them, I may need to give her a call. When we started this thing up this year I mentioned to my wife that I wish I had family seeds from my grandma. Her veggies were to die for. I remember my mom never having to force us to eat anything when we visited grandma. She grew almost all of her own food herself until she was 85 and started going senile. Now that I think of it, her garden got as much shade as mine will get if not more.

We just had a freeze last week. I planted a bunch of poppy plants all over the yard as soon as it was gone. From what I can tell it is going to be good from here on out to start planting. We might not plant anything in the garden for a week or two still. I have to till some more and test the soil. We went through a case of beer and more than a few bowls in the 6 hours it took to do this. We weren't in any hurry or anything lol. Afterwards we had a bonfire and shot the pellet gun at the empty cans. Fun fun.

We are going to freeze or can everything from the garden that we can. I plan on eating my own vegetables all year round from now on. It is going to be A LOT of work, but I have the time and the drive to do it. We were thinking about getting a few chickens for their eggs. In the first picture of the backyard you can see that I have a shed with a fence next to it. I think that might be perfect for some chickens!

--------------------

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (04/13/10 01:23 PM)

OfflineForestHermit
Hermit

#12385369 - 04/13/10 01:29 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah nothing beats heirloom veggies. Since Ive been growing them, I cant eat store veggies anymore. They seem so bland and tasteless now. Im much further north than you unfortunately. Hell canada isnt that far from here. In another 2 weeks Im hoping to plant but usually I cant plant until mid-may usually and sometimes not til the beginning june.I learned to garden from my grandmother and all my life helped her in the garden.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in the progress.lol

This year I decided to track down new crops to grow as I drawn to unique crops and managed to get ahold of dwarf corn varieties.One is blood red and the other is blue.These are starch corns though for popcorn or corn meal only.I grow a whole spectrum of tomatoes every year along with cabbage,lettuce,herbs of all sorts,rhubarb,spinach,berries of many types, radishes, and a number of other crops.

Im learning to grow edible mushrooms now too and already hunt,fish and trap so Id say Im pretty self sufficient and I couldnt enjoy it more or eat better food.

--------------------

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
    #12385773 - 04/13/10 02:34 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Nice sheltie.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

#12386547 - 04/13/10 04:51 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

I am going to start a decent edible mushroom garden as well. I want to build a room in my basement just for mushrooms. It is always the right temp down there and I have room down there do do whatever I want with.

I use to fish a lot but I got out of it after we had the kids. I wish I grew up around someone who hunted. I have hunted a few things with bows and blowguns, but other than that I just go out to the range and target practice with a 9mm and a rifle.

Thats pretty damn cool to be self sufficient like that. Props to you!

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

OfflineForestHermit
Hermit

#12386692 - 04/13/10 05:14 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Kada said:
I am going to start a decent edible mushroom garden as well. I want to build a room in my basement just for mushrooms. It is always the right temp down there and I have room down there do do whatever I want with.

I use to fish a lot but I got out of it after we had the kids. I wish I grew up around someone who hunted. I have hunted a few things with bows and blowguns, but other than that I just go out to the range and target practice with a 9mm and a rifle.

Thats pretty damn cool to be self sufficient like that. Props to you!

My basement is what I use for lab work in general.Theres nothing down there so its empty space without my lab supplies and desk.There is a sink down there and a bathroom so it works nicely.It tends to stay at a pretty good temp and is stable temp wise.

I hunt with longbows and compound bows both but prefer my longbows. I never really got into guns.Half my family is native american as were a lot of family friends.(I have a different father from my siblings).I guess I was influenced by the culture heavily and Its probably why I live off the land.

I do a ton of fishing, usually trout and salmon mostly. Nothing is more awesome than flyfishing for trout or salmon. I learned to tie my own flies even. Took me forever to learn proper technique and rhythm though. Its an art form really.I trap squirrels and rabbits all the time and every now and then Ill go trap some turtle.

There isnt anything I cant track,hunt,fish or skin.lol

Ive been in the woods and living off the land since I can remember so lots of experience.

I used to brew my own beer even but I cant drink these days.

I try hard to be as self sufficient as possible.But then again Im a single guy with a lot of free time so its easy and Im independent of the 9 to 5 job system.

I also can excess produce so it carries me through winter.I hardly ever buy store produce and I rarely buy meat.I cant even remember the last time I bought meat.I've always preferred wild game.

Ultimately my goal is to one day live in some little ecovillage out in the boondocks with like minded people and be entirely green and self sufficient.

--------------------

InvisibleGoldy
Apprentice
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #12390605 - 04/14/10 06:31 AM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Looks like a good size to start off.
You might want to look into a mycorrhizal inoculant to give your babies a good start.
Most of your chosen species will benefit from a dose of symbiotic fungii.
except the brasicas(broccoli)
A good way to keep the tomatoes free of fruit fly is a mosquito net depending on where you are.
I,ve got to agree with ForestHermit heirloom seeds are the way to go, they bear over a longer period and yield more in long run.That way you don't get everything at once and then nothing after that.
I've recently harvested over 50kg of beans from a 3 metre trellis of heirloom climbing beans.
A friend of mine grows commercially and is cert organic he grows heirloom cauliflowers that grow to over 35 cm diameter.
It's almost winter here in Australia so I'm sowing my gardens with mycorrhizal fungii attracting plants (oats, vetch, clover etc.)to get the soil ready for spring.
Don't go overboard with nitrogen rich fertilisers in spring as when it starts to get hotter the plants may burn and you can't take it out of the soil, also too much nitrogen in the early stages will give you big leafy plants that don't bear a lot of fruit.
Sometimes I cap my garden with potting mix as it helps keep the weeds down and adds organic matter.
Good luck man you're on the right track
By the way Shetland sheepdogs are smarter than a lot of people I know, you won't have much trouble training him, or should I say he won't have much trouble training you.

--------------------
A dolphin breathes through an arsehole on the top of its head.
(Billy age 8)

OfflineDeeGee
Insert Title Here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sunny Southern California Flag
Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: Goldy]
    #12390894 - 04/14/10 08:56 AM (14 years, 5 days ago)

You're going to have more spices than you'll know what to do with.
I personally grow my spices indoors as to not get bugs all up in them.  :niggawhat:

Your 5 hours of work will be WELL worth the payoff
Would it have killed you to spend another 5 minutes hosing off the back of the garage? :lol:

--------------------
DG
:plur:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: DeeGee]
    #12447324 - 04/24/10 12:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

cool man!, you are going to have so much fun. !!! gardens are awesome!!!! :tomato:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: snoot]
    #12466105 - 04/27/10 02:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

snoot said:
cool man!, you are going to have so much fun. !!! gardens are awesome!!!! :tomato:

I will second that, I cannot keep up with all the chard, collard, lettuce I am growing
I planted it for my rabbit at first, but even with him, me and a friend eating, I grow way more than we can use. I think collards have to be the easiest plant there is to grow.
They even love a strawberry pot, basil hates those pots for me.

flowering collards in strawberry pot

lots of different stuff

Topsy turvy planter

Good luck on your plot :thumbup:, with that much area you should be able to feed a small army and have a lot of fun doing it.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: rod]
    #12466371 - 04/27/10 03:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

haha, Ive been considering growing ganjaberries in the topsy turvy.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

#12467320 - 04/27/10 05:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

All of the seedlings have sprouted that is going into the garden. Some of the herbs don't seem to want to come up, but I think it's because of the soil we used. The lavender has only sprouted 1/9 so far. The beans are way to big and need to be moved, but I'm afraid to right now because my cat ate most of the leaves last night. :crankey:

Here is a picture of the seedlings. The cat ate most of the leaves on the beans as you can see.

Here is the tilled up soil that is ready to go. I finished shaping up the garden and I tilled it 2 more times. The second time I tilled up compost with it. I think I may go get some peat/humus mix to till into it before I will work on transplanting next week now that I think about it. I would do it now, but we have had a frost every 3 days that dips below 30 degrees.

I forgot to mention; When I was putting in the compost I didn't notice the giant ant hill that my foot was on when I was shoveling. Needless to say my foot was covered in a few hundred tiny little biting black ants. My foot felt like it was on fire for about 20 minutes lol.

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (06/08/10 08:08 PM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12468157 - 04/27/10 08:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

growing herbs/veggies from seed isnt easy. We used to do that, but then we just said fuck it, its far easier to just buy starters from the greenhouse down the road. g'luck tho.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

#12586589 - 05/18/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It all came up and was looking great until my cat spike decided to go mad cow on everything. He at over half the plants that were growing. After he did that I pulled all the double and triple seedlings that grew in each pod out. We are missing the beans and a lot of the bell peppers. I think I may go over to the Amish market and buy a few plants to replace the ones we lost.

Here is the big fat bastard that somehow got to our plants. His name is Spike.

I decided to cut up the giant maple a bit in the back yard so the garden would get a lot more sun. There is a HUGE difference back there now. Lots of sunlight. It took me, my neighbor, my buddy, a case of beer, a few bowls, lots of tools and about 6 hours. It was an amazing undertaking. I had to battle my fear of heights at the top of a 40 foot ladder while running a chainsaw. Exciting!

We haven't planted yet because we had frost till last week. I want to go get enough top soil to cover the whole garden about 3 inches before we plant anyways. While I cut up the tree my wife was raking out the helicopter type seeds from the maple tree. Some of them were sprouting big time so she still hasn't gotten them all out. I want to get this stuff planted this week latest. I know I'm going to need a fence because I've seen about a dozen rabbits in my backyard already.

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (06/08/10 08:08 PM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12589585 - 05/18/10 11:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

fyi, mint is a wild plant, dont put it in your garden, unless you want it spreading everywhere. its worse then horseradish

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #12599090 - 05/20/10 04:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a couple raised beds in need of some soil and have other small ground beds in random areas in the backyard. Volunteer squash , lots of hot peppers, herbs and tomatoes so far... Gotta borrow a truck to get some soil soon. How late is too late to start planting things like broccoli, okra, lettuces and all the other goodies?

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: lillFish]
    #12599157 - 05/20/10 04:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I thought you said raisen bread, heh, are you starting from seed?

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflinelillFish
Daydreamer
Female User Gallery

Loc: Recliner Flag
    #12599207 - 05/20/10 04:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah.. I have my tomatoes out .. I plan on planting as much as I can fit in the two 8x4 beds.
It sucks cause this is my very first garden. I think I should have started seeds earlier.
Can't wait to see how Kada's garden is coming along.

--------------------
My Wish & Trade list

Edited by lillFish (05/20/10 04:26 PM)

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Re: Starting a garden this year. Pics. [Re: lillFish]
    #12600394 - 05/20/10 07:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

We just planted everything tonight. I put up a 3 foot fence to keep rabbits from coming in my side yard. I will add pics of the planting tomorrow because by the time I got done it was to dark to take any. I am really not happy about the size of the plants we planted so next year I am going over to a local Amish farm and buying foot tall plants to put in the garden. I am not going to start from seed again until I build my greenhouse. I might build it this year but I might not. I have a lot of projects around the house this summer already and to be honest I am not a rich man. It will cost me about 300 bucks to build so it's not to pricey.

Here is a picture of the layout we used for the garden. Of course as we did it we modified it a bit to have more room, so really this is just a rough draft of what we did.

I shot a rabbit in the backyard about 20 minutes ago. They are all over the place and everyone knows they will tear up your garden in one night. My buddy lost all of his plants last week and had to go buy more. He is using fox urine and it seems to be working for the moment. I am going to install a smaller fence around the whole garden asap so I don't have to shoot every furry critter.

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (05/20/10 07:57 PM)

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

#12708938 - 06/08/10 12:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ok here is an update. I wanted the garden to take hold a bit before I posted more pics. Everything is doing great! I haven't lost a single plant to pests! I put in a small fence in the side of the yard to prevent wandering animals. Anything that gets in my yard gets a BB to the dome. I do have 2 squrrels living in the giant tree I trimmed back, but they are keeping out of the garden so I let them live... For now.

First pic is the growing fruits and veggies. If you look in the corner I dug it up and set nests of ants on fire with gas to kill them. I am planting 3 watermelon plants in there today. The small fence I put in is in the second picture.

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

Edited by Kada (06/08/10 08:09 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale