Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Was Jesus a Stoner??
    #1236352 - 01/21/03 09:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have recently been questioning my own faith of christianity and this forum has helped put reason to my rambled doubts. This is a great thing you guys have going.

Anywho I was over at bluelight and saw this article and thought I would share it with the people of the shroomery.
-----------
Was Jesus a spiritual, cannabis-using stoner that doused his disciples in a potent, marijuana-laced oil? That's the claim made in an American cannabis magazine article that suggests Jesus Christ and his apostles used marijuana and promoted its usage for medicinal purposes and to carry out miraculous healings.

The article, "Was Jesus a stoner?" was written by B.C. marijuana activist, author and director of the Pot-TV Network, Chris Bennett. It was based on a 13-year study of ancient scripture texts. He claims the holy anointing oil, used in the early days of the Christian church and absorbed into the body when placed on the skin, contained between four and six kilograms of kaneh-bosem, a substance identified as cannabis extracted into olive oil and herbs.

"The ancient anointed ones were literally drenched in this potent mixture," Bennett, 40, said in his article, published in the February issue of High Times.

He said Jesus and the 12 disciples used this holy oil to cure and heal their followers of such ailments as epilepsy, menstrual and eye problems and skin diseases. The curing of cripples can also be attributed to the cannabis-laced holy oil.

He quotes the Book of Mark 6:13 in support of his claim.

"And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them."

Bennett's claim about Old Testament cannabis use is supported in his article by Carl Ruck, a Boston University professor in classical mythology who has spent three decades researching the history of drugs in religion.

"There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," he said. "There is no way that so important a plant as a fibre source for textiles and nutritive oils and one so easy to grow would have gone unnoticed.

"Obviously, the early availability and long-established tradition of cannabis in early Judaism... would have inevitably included it in the (Christian) measures."

Bennett said his claims are also supported by archeological evidence. He refers specifically to finds by Joe Zias, an anthropologist in Israel who uncovered the skeleton of a 14-year-old girl who died in child birth. A blackish-brown substance found on her stomach was determined to be a hashish mixture used for healing. He also cited ancient pots discovered throughout Israel and the Middle East that had opium and cannabis residue in them.

Greg Bloomquist, a theology professor at Saint Paul University in Ottawa, is familiar with Bennett's claims, but dismisses them.

"This is not scholarly work. This is purely speculation with an ideological agenda," he said in an interview. "His arguments are based on the isolated theories of a few people and he brings them together in order to make a point that he wants to make."

Author: Jennifer Morrison - The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Jan. 8, 2003
--------------

Do you think these type of things are what get a religion started? Ignorance in what is really happening, and giving credit where no credit is due?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefreakish
...breathing...

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: slime_R]
    #1236415 - 01/21/03 09:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

""This is not scholarly work. This is purely speculation with an ideological agenda," he said in an interview. "His arguments are based on the isolated theories of a few people and he brings them together in order to make a point that he wants to make.""

Isnt' that what every scientific theory is based on? *Shrugs*

Very interesting though. Thanks for posting.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1236752 - 01/21/03 11:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

LOL !!! Thanks for the levity! Totally ridiculous of course, from any angle. If you check up on the Holy Annointing Oil in Exodus that Moses and Aaron prepared for the Holy of Holies, you might come across the ingredient '"calamus,'' which recently some other pot freaks wanted to interpret as 'cannabis.' Wrong again. Acorus Calamus - Sweet Flag - Flag Root - Snake Root, contains TMA, a precursor to Mescaline that Cree Indians and other tribal Americans used. If Moses and Aaron annointed themselves with this oil, they may well have totally psychedelicized their souls in preparation for their encounters with the Shekinah of YHVH.

This is the only real possibility for psychedelics in the Bible, including the theories of Dan Merkur about the ergotized Shewbread in the Holy of Holies, or the other circulating idea about "manna from Heaven" which appeared every morning in the desert (as if mushrooms grow in the desert). Calamus is a swamp plant incidentally (we once illegally picked it from the Great Swamp in NJ), and would also not be found in the desert, but then again the number 40 as in '40 years of wandering,' may be another numerological device completely apart from the idea of chronological time as we know it.

Psychedelics may give people insight into the metaphysics of religion, but people need not to project their own limited experiences onto the ancient visionaries who brought forth these religions. The origins of the high religions are spontaneous products - Revelations from God. True Mysteries are Sacred Mysteries and are not reducible to mere materialistic and comprehensible phenomena - not if they are Real with a capital 'R.' Be seein' ya.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1236770 - 01/21/03 11:36 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"Was Jesus a Stoner??"

HELL YEAH he was!!!

I don't have PROOF or anything, but hey that's MY vote!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1237051 - 01/21/03 01:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

or if he wasn't then, he would be now...
he's just chill like that  :cool: :grin:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1237086 - 01/21/03 01:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'd like to see a more even-handed study of the prevalence of cannabis in jewish tradition, but this paper is complete crap.

It's entirely possible that cannabis was used medicinally and in oil form, and that it was an effective medicine, but to suggest that it was the source of Jesus' magic powers is just silly.

--------------------
This space for rent

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1237197 - 01/21/03 02:10 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I wansn't very impressed by the evidence presented, there was only one quote from the bible.  I guess i just like to think this is what happened :laugh:.  Funny thing is there is a guy down here at college that we call jesus because he has long hair and smokes a lot of pot and is so chill.  I like that jesus :smile: 

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #1237251 - 01/21/03 02:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i believe that jesus could have been a stoner  :smirk:

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
    #1237258 - 01/21/03 02:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

YES!!!! :grin:

I believe that Jesus was SERIOUSLY charged on some type of psycotropic substance. Noone wants to hear my story on this....but it has to do with my theory on him consuming ergoty bread( possibly) or maybe some weird berries. But I think that his deciples(*sp) were his trip buddies and his last supper was him going to meet his 'father', GOD.

Easter is his return from the desert...like Leary, Jesus was locked up. In this case behind a boulder ( Leary's lock down can be read in The Electric Kool-aid Acid test)....

Oh, and GOD, is just DOG backwards :grin:

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

Anonymous

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: soylent_green]
    #1237261 - 01/21/03 02:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I sure would've like to smoked a pipe with him. No one could smoke a bong like I did :grin: 

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: ]
    #1237917 - 01/21/03 05:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If i was smoking with jesus, I wouldn't want to fuck up the rotation or anything.  I bet he would cash my bowl  in one hit :frown:.  Thou shall pass the bong to the left, the long lost comandment. 

Anonymous

#1238095 - 01/21/03 08:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The Qaballah of smoking exists of receiving the natures spirits' essence in it's whole.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1238259 - 01/22/03 12:52 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1238416 - 01/22/03 02:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

May(???) 1989 - Photo magazine - Issue about Australia by Mr. Jacobsen (I think that's the name). Nice B/W photos, "The last dinner(???)" represented with Jesus smoking a bong surrounded by its apostols getting high also from weed, i'll try to scan those photos.
BTW, if i was Jesus and had freedom to smoke weed, i would smoke, that's the smartest thing to do :grin: besides listening to "God" Marley at that time:grin:.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: MAIA]
    #1239161 - 01/22/03 08:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry enter but I already read the bible twice so I didn't click on your link. Try the Jezus Christ Superstar topic if you want to discuss it with me.

Edited by sNaiLmAil (01/22/03 09:27 AM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: ]
    #1239336 - 01/22/03 09:12 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1239347 - 01/22/03 09:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think the real question is IF jesus smoked weed, but WOULD he.  I think he would :smile:.  I mean if he created it, what would be the problem with smoking it?  So if you believe in him why did he creat it?  Wild marijuana is not beautiful, so it must have been made by him for something :cool: 

Anonymous

#1239387 - 01/22/03 09:30 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You're right about that slimy :grin: Enter the hypocrite way of life taught to us by the bible. If he didn't smoke pot then why did he make it?

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1239482 - 01/22/03 09:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I wonder if Jesus Christ had any idea that people would still be talking about him 2000 years down the line...

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Was Jesus a Stoner?? [Re: Revelation]
    #1239515 - 01/22/03 10:09 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm pretty sure he did. It says on the last poage that it is a profetic book :grin: 

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract