Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: Skikid16]
    #1235553 - 01/21/03 03:50 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

improved products

If it led to improved air, improved water and improved living standards I might be interested. A pair of Nike's with 6 laceholes instead of 5 launched with a 500 million dollar ad campaign to convince kids it will help their lives is precisely what the world doesn't need.

And the corporations have gained enormous power over the last 20 years - are people any happier? You ever talked to anyone who was alive in the 50's or 60's? Ask them if the quality of life they lived back then was better than it is now, if their jobs were better or if they're pay was better. Then go and ask a 2003 macdonalds employee how happy he is with his lot.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: Xlea321]
    #1235661 - 01/21/03 04:43 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If it led to improved air, improved water and improved living standards I might be interested.

I agree, but we are talking economics.
Quote:

A pair of Nike's with 6 laceholes instead of 5 launched with a 500 million dollar ad campaign to convince kids it will help their lives is precisely what the world doesn't need.

I don't buy nike, most of the shoes I wear don't have laceholes, so I'm not involved. But if some idiot wants to pay 120 bucks for a shoe because of a "500 million dollar ad campaign", well who am I to tell them they can't. Its their money.
Quote:

You ever talked to anyone who was alive in the 50's or 60's?

I can find 10 people that were alive in the fifties to say their life is better now, so what?
Quote:

Then go and ask a 2003 macdonalds employee how happy he is with his lot.

Well do you think a 1950's McDonald's worker was happy with their lot. Besides, because we live in an economically free country, he has the opportunity to take steps and measures to improve his lot. That is a good aspect of our economic freedom, a down side is the fact that if people are willing to buy something, suppliers will continue to produce that product which leads to overconsumption. You gotta take the good with the bad.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Edited by Skikid16 (01/21/03 08:03 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1236714 - 01/21/03 11:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Gosh Alpo, I was alive in the 50's and 60's. My life is much better now.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1236746 - 01/21/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I was alive in the 60's, my life is MUCH MUCH better now. But then I don't bitch and whine that I'm not being taken care of...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: Evolving]
    #1236754 - 01/21/03 11:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I was alive in the 60's

You young whippersnapper!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: ehud]
    #1237968 - 01/21/03 06:16 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

A question though: who is more likely to save and horde there money? The rich executive or the single mom with 3 kids? I don't see the single mom sitting back and refusing to shell out every cent they have to take care of the kids because they wanna wait till the economy turns around,they spend to live....

You give Bill gate 100,00 dollars and a bumb(assume he doesnt like being a bumb) on the street the same. Who spends it first?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineDilauded
Sensability andrespectability

Loc: Krunkville, FL
Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1237973 - 01/21/03 06:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

And who's the smarter one? The bum did everything to get where he is and Bill Gates did everything he did to get where he is.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: Dilauded]
    #1237975 - 01/21/03 06:20 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I thought we were talking about stimulating the economy....
Now whose the dumb one?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineDilauded

#1237980 - 01/21/03 06:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The richer the company the more jobs are able to made thus stimulating the economy.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1237981 - 01/21/03 06:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

You give Bill gate 100,00 dollars and a bumb(assume he doesnt like being a bumb) on the street the same. Who spends it first?

It doesn't matter who spends it first as much as who spends it wisely. Bill Gates' expenditures or investments are more likely to have long lasting positive effects. Bill Gates has been the catalyst for more employment than all the drunkards in history.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (01/21/03 06:25 PM)

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#1237983 - 01/21/03 06:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The company I work for has set record numbers this year and has just made massive cutbacks to make even more money for the fatbald fuck who owns the place.

--------------------

OfflineDilauded

#1237987 - 01/21/03 06:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe your company is loosing business??

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#1237992 - 01/21/03 06:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Exact opposite. They have said it and I have seen and am part of the recording of it.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1238122 - 01/21/03 09:21 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yep. Trouble with business is that money is the bottom line. The most important thing is that they get the most return for their dollar spent on production. And that means that the quality of the product is not important, and rarely are their employees. You can see it in utilities that have been privatised and you can see it in the media. You can see massive exploitation in companies who have globalised where the amount of money spent paying Greg Norman to promote the product is equivalent to the amount spent on wages in a year for factory workers in Indonesia where laws and political climate allow very poor working conditions to persist. On balance, capitalism benefits the few. The rest of us are slaves.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: ]
    #1238130 - 01/21/03 09:32 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Trouble with business is that money is the bottom line.

The reason to be in business is to make money. That is not a problem.. it is the goal. Try it yourself and see rather than complaining about it. Then if you're a success, give the money away, close the business down and pat yourself on the back.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (01/21/03 09:33 PM)

Anonymous

Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1238155 - 01/21/03 10:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, i dont consider that success, so that would be a futile exercise. That aside, I really don't see your point.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1238512 - 01/22/03 03:28 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

On balance, capitalism benefits the few. The rest of us are slaves.

Excellent point Eno.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: you dont get a job from a poor person [Re: Evolving]
    #1238838 - 01/22/03 06:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Bill Gates has been the catalyst for more employment than all the drunkards in history.

If someone had gone up behind Bill Gates in 1970, put a gun to his brainstem and pulled the trigger the world would have gone right ahead without noticing. There would have been just as many jobs in the world today.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1239084 - 01/22/03 07:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

There would have been just as many jobs in the world today.

How can you say that with such certainty, neither you nor I know what would happen in that situation.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1239098 - 01/22/03 07:54 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The most important thing is that they get the most return for their dollar spent on production. And that means that the quality of the product is not important, and rarely are their employees.

This is not that case for a successful business. For a business to become, and stay successful, you must offer a superior product or service at a competitive price. Now I do agree that there are companies that do only care about fattening up the pockets of the executive officers, but usually these companies do not last that long.
Quote:

On balance, capitalism benefits the few. The rest of us are slaves.

But at least you are a slave that has the opportunity to over throw your master. If you had the drive, you could get a college degree, get hired by a good company, work your way up the corporate ladder, and change the benefits for the low employees that you seem to have concern for.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder