Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Why do some people freak out?
    #12375523 - 04/11/10 11:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

So I've got a question.

I've noticed that occasionally someone will take acid (or mushrooms I guess) and kind of totally lose it for a while.

I'm not necessarily talking about someone who is just tripping really hard.

I'm talking about when people just lose it and break shit or run into the street, or run around screaming or whatever. You know when people just behave in ways that are dangerous and potentially fucked up.

I've had my share of difficult experiences on psychedelics, but I've never really done anything stupid. I've never run into the street or screaming through public buildings.

My question is why do some people "freak out" while others, while still tripping very hard, are able to maintain composure and be calm and relaxed.

My theory is that it has to do with personality types and those with large egos, the people that are full of themselves, it is those types of people that I have observed this happening on.

discuss

--------------------
All drugs should be legal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: halo]
    #12375538 - 04/11/10 11:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've found this most often happen when someone trips harder than he expected. Especially when they begin approaching ego loss.

--------------------

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: halo] * 1
    #12375601 - 04/11/10 11:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

halo said:

My theory is that it has to do with personality types and those with large egos, the people that are full of themselves, it is those types of people that I have observed this happening on.

discuss

While in the past I might have agreed with you, I realize now that that's kind of a conceited position to take.

I really can't say why that shit happens. People are just different. I think it may have to do more with one's ability to control their emotions/thoughts. Some people just get carried away with shit and are unable to take a step back and say "this isn't a good idea". Couple this this with psychedelics and it's a recipe for disaster.

Or maybe it's like a regression into an infantile state.

Who the fuck knows.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #12375694 - 04/12/10 12:16 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

^^^ I agree with that Nunbuh. And I don't want to sound conceited or like I'm better than said people I was describing.

That being said all of the people I've witnessed this happen to weren't on a particularly strong dose (though that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't tripping really hard) I'm talking 1-2 hits of the same acid that I had done multiple times.

I just find it peculiar, I wish I knew exactly why this happens so that in the future if I know of someone taking LSD or if I give it to someone I can better explain some of the effects and precautions one should take.

I think a lot of it has to do with people who are generally uncomfortable with their current life and/or people with depression or other psychological issues. But at the same time I feel like almost everyone has some issues, our flaws make us human.

--------------------

OfflineHellboy
Sex,Drugs,Rap&Alcohol
Male

Loc: Wild Wild West
    #12375792 - 04/12/10 12:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This shits happened to me before. I blamed it on an extream case of sleep depravation and to large a dose (7gs dried). I freaked out and try'd to destroy my friends TV and shit. I don't remember any of it, it was like I went into a whole other dimension. It was kinda like what people describe seeing on DMT, only it wasn't so clear and it lasted longer then a few minutes. Why my physical body decided to freak out and destroy shit is beyond me, but in my head, everything was beautiful.

But I've also seen this happen to a friend of mine (who is an experienced tripper) do the same shit on only an eighth, only he didn't freak out and try to fuck shit up, he just freaked out. It was actually hilarious for the most part (cause we knew he was okay, just had to make sure he didn't find away to hurt himself). So honestly, I don't know what the hell causes it. But it seems like the majority of experienced trippers I know have gone through this at lest ONCE before (especially at higher doses).

It also only seems to happen with mushrooms though. I mean, I'm positive it's happend to someone somewhere on other psychedelics, but I've never had an experience like that on anything else other then mush.

--------------------
"You might see me one day on Mush, the fuck out...Shroomsvile baby. Don't wanna see nothing but colors and stars and shit..."
- :macdre:

"Sick of you always calling asking 'where have I been?', I'm at the same place bitch, getting high with my friends."

"I'm holding my gut when the rush hits, it's subtle at first--the worst is done
This ain't nothing, until my blood is pumping, shit hits like percussion
And the club suddenly changes into something it wasn't..."

Offlinenocoast
Trichome Technician

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Hellboy]
    #12375863 - 04/12/10 12:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Honestly the only time ive ever FREAKED THE FUCK OUT was on one dose of fluff. The reason? Mindset and setting. I really dont think its a proper tool for assessing personality types so much as people and their situations. Since that 100mic losing it trip, i've since eaten upwards of 4500 mics of good swiss and had 10 hours of overwhelming rainbows, and i was still able to keep my cool (considering....lol)

Invisibledrr
Female
Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: nocoast]
    #12375878 - 04/12/10 12:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I think this is caused by a dose thats higher than expected. I think that with LSD especially, even two doses from the same sheet, maybe right next to each other, could have different doses. I've never 'freaked out' personally really, but have had some pretty intense moments of confusion. Its definitely something that happens when you're too high to help it. Some people go off into loops and just keep saying the same sentence over and over for three hours. Can't deny its one of the really scary things about taking psychedelics - while these drugs can be very fun, useful, etc, they also have the potential for some very strange and extreme reactions with certain people or situations. Sometimes it seems like on LSD you're constantly walking on the edge, like anything might push you over into insanity. I don't think it really takes much...maybe it takes less for some people than for others.

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Hellboy]
    #12375893 - 04/12/10 12:56 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hellboy said:
This shits happened to me before. I blamed it on an extream case of sleep depravation and to large a dose (7gs dried). I freaked out and try'd to destroy my friends TV and shit. I don't remember any of it, it was like I went into a whole other dimension. It was kinda like what people describe seeing on DMT, only it wasn't so clear and it lasted longer then a few minutes. Why my physical body decided to freak out and destroy shit is beyond me, but in my head, everything was beautiful.

But I've also seen this happen to a friend of mine (who is an experienced tripper) do the same shit on only an eighth, only he didn't freak out and try to fuck shit up, he just freaked out. It was actually hilarious for the most part (cause we knew he was okay, just had to make sure he didn't find away to hurt himself). So honestly, I don't know what the hell causes it. But it seems like the majority of experienced trippers I know have gone through this at lest ONCE before (especially at higher doses).

It also only seems to happen with mushrooms though. I mean, I'm positive it's happend to someone somewhere on other psychedelics, but I've never had an experience like that on anything else other then mush.

I defnitely locked myself in the bathroom on 5 grams of unusually potent mushrooms :rofldrunk: <--- the reaso I took 5 grams of unusually potent mushroms.

--------------------

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: LSDreamer]
    #12375967 - 04/12/10 01:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I also think there are different types of freak outs.

For example there is the type in which the tripper behaves strangely, sometimes violently, is unable to listen or communicate with those around him, and is caught in thought loops or has "gone over the edge" so to speak.

This happened with a friend of mine on 3 hits of some good acid. He freaked out after watching Waking Life (or maybe right before) and we couldn't communicate with him. He would say the same things over and over and over again. He eventually threw a phone at my friends 2000 dollar TV and busted the screen. When he came back to reality he said that he thought he was dead and that he didn't remember anything after when we walked into the room to watch waking life. (Our hypothesis was that waking life literally blew his mind and he basically got so high from it, understood what was being talked about, but was at the same time unable to remain grounded in this reality, he just blasted off without anything attached here). Honestly during this session once he started freaking out talking to him became like talking to a wall or a soulless person. I would look into his eyes, and something wasn't right. We could be staring into each other's eyes, but he wasn't looking at me. It was so bizarre, as if his mind and soul went somewhere else and his baser brain functions had taken over. So bizarre.

Another example, more of the type I meant to be talking about in the original post, is that of a person who remains somewhat cognizant of the experience yet acts like a damn fool.

This kid I know took some acid with a couple of mutual friends. This kids kind of a douchebag but took 1 or 2 hits of acid and his friends each took a hit. I wasn't there but apparently this kid was running through our student center at 12 00 am screaming "DRUGS!!!!ART!!!CREATIVITY!!!!" stuff like that. I'm sure he was having some fairly profound realizations for him, maybe things he hadn't thought of before, but why go running and proselytizing? Apparently he just screamed a lot and ran around.

And yet another experience is one my dealer recounted to me. He had taken 5gs of mushrooms and ended up running across a major street as well as jumping over the front desk and nearly assaulting the worker there. Luckily he did not get in trouble.

I don't really know where I'm going with these stories, I guess just trying to give a bit of background to that which prompted this thread.

--------------------

OfflineHellboy
Sex,Drugs,Rap&Alcohol
Male

Loc: Wild Wild West
    #12376010 - 04/12/10 01:26 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

What your discribeing with your friend and Waking Life is almost EXACTLY what happened to me. Only my trigger was a movie called the In Crowd. Up untill the point that we watch that movie, everything was going great. Then someone put that shit on and it fucked my world up.

I think that maybe what triggered my episode. I was so freaked out by the movie that my brain transported me into another realm where I could be relax in a beautiful place inside the comfort and safety of my own head.

--------------------
"You might see me one day on Mush, the fuck out...Shroomsvile baby. Don't wanna see nothing but colors and stars and shit..."
- :macdre:

"Sick of you always calling asking 'where have I been?', I'm at the same place bitch, getting high with my friends."

"I'm holding my gut when the rush hits, it's subtle at first--the worst is done
This ain't nothing, until my blood is pumping, shit hits like percussion
And the club suddenly changes into something it wasn't..."

InvisibleAction Jackson
Noob

Loc: box
    #12376154 - 04/12/10 02:13 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

halo said:
^^^ I agree with that Nunbuh. And I don't want to sound conceited or like I'm better than said people I was describing.

That being said all of the people I've witnessed this happen to weren't on a particularly strong dose (though that doesn't necessarily mean they weren't tripping really hard) I'm talking 1-2 hits of the same acid that I had done multiple times.

I just find it peculiar, I wish I knew exactly why this happens so that in the future if I know of someone taking LSD or if I give it to someone I can better explain some of the effects and precautions one should take.

I think a lot of it has to do with people who are generally uncomfortable with their current life and/or people with depression or other psychological issues. But at the same time I feel like almost everyone has some issues, our flaws make us human.

I wasn't comfortable or even remotely happy with my current life situation when I tripped for the first time, and I didn't "freak out".  And I have several psychological issues.  I think tripping really depends on set and setting as someone stated earlier. 

I don't think because someone has issues or whatever that they're going to freak out.  I think if the person isn't ready to trip or they experience a trigger/bad thought loop that they "freak out".

The closest I came to freaking out while tripping, I ran at a bush and started hitting it with my $100 lightsaber. It's like, when you're tripping, at least for me, I feel limitless, powerful, that I control the world and whatever I want to do in that given moment I can do because fuck the rest of the world, they're not in my head and in my head the world becomes this magical place, similar to the fantasy world I lived in when I was a child.  So I attacked the bush, not because I was "freaking out", but because the bush turned into an enemy that I had to vanquish.  I knew it was a bush still, but I was off in my own little world.  Does this even make sense? :blush:

--------------------
"It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream."
- Edgar Allan Poe

OfflineCaptainZero
Myco Padawan
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #12376276 - 04/12/10 03:33 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've tripped on mushrooms a couple dozen times and have never lost control of myself.  I even do it alone just laying in my room watching movies.  I've been growing mushrooms for about 2 years now and have given many doses out.  So far I haven't heard any reports back about any freak outs. 

I've never experience anything except perfect lucidity and I've taken some pretty massive doses.

I really wish I could experience this "ego loss" that everyone talks about.  I may have to experiment with acid to achieve it I guess.

OfflineFry
Interior Crocodile Alligator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #12376465 - 04/12/10 06:08 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

halo said:

Buy this and refuse to dose anyone unless they've read it.

Quote:

CaptainZero said:
I really wish I could experience this "ego loss" that everyone talks about.  I may have to experiment with acid to achieve it I guess.

You should read the above book as well.

--------------------
:peace::heartpump::shineon:

Edited by Fry (04/12/10 06:10 AM)

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Fry]
    #12377267 - 04/12/10 10:29 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

they back themselves into a mental corner and start to distrust reality in general. at this point they most likely believe they are merely having a bad dream, or are in another reality, so they start doing very psychotic things, trying to manipulate or "test" the reality of it...this can manifest itself in jumping in large bodies of water, jumping off balconies, breaking household items, breaking televisions...

btw- it can happen to anyone, don't think you are so uppity that it can't happen to you, you probably just haven't had the wrong set/setting/dose yet.

has very little to do with personality type, everything to do with set/setting/situation/dosage. 

in fact usually the MORE hard headed people and the people that are MOST likely to freak out are usually the ones MOST benefited by psychedelic experiences and least likely to freak out.

its when you are not cautious and believe yourself to be "above" a freakout.....mix in a really shitty set/setting......and a massive dose and BAM youve got a freak out on your hands.

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

Edited by AntiEverything (04/12/10 10:44 AM)

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: AntiEverything]
    #12381171 - 04/12/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

OP>> I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were being conceited, I was just saying.

Fry>> I've never read Leary's manual, but I've always heard that it often CAUSED people to have bad trips because it gave them all kinds of fucked up expectations. But that's just what I've heard. There are better trip manuals out there now. The last chapter in Strassman's latest book was really excellent I think.

I don't think that you can really pin down a cause or contributing factor for these types of reactions. All I can say is that being aware of these possibilities really underscore the need to have a safe and secure environment. Usually the people undergoing these experiences will be fine mentally, they may even have a fucking blast! But there is serious risk of physical injury or encounters with law enforcement.

A friend of mine told me about his first acid trip. He ate 6 hits and ended up running around the block butt ass naked. He ended up getting in a fight with the cops and getting tasered. He said that the whole things was actually really fun and that the whole time he was yelling "I LOVE YOU GUYS!" as he fought the cops. He definitely got in a lot of trouble though.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #12381343 - 04/12/10 09:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i'm pretty selective with which types i give acid to and have never had an issue. definitely hard trips, but in the end all smiles and warm eyes.
maybe it has to do with people taking it for fun and then realness hitting them?

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

OfflineJohnny Depp
 User Gallery
Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: dummy]
    #12381707 - 04/12/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Johnny Depp (12/19/14 01:51 AM)

OfflineEthereal being
Shredzit
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: Johnny Depp]
    #12381745 - 04/12/10 10:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I believe that your right about the people with big egos not being able to handle tripping... 

I believe you have to have a strong mind and realize that those deep trips are a way of figuring ones most deepest demons out and just go with them and learn.

Invisibleblazenn
rawdog the whale.
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: dummy]
    #12381785 - 04/12/10 10:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dummy said:
maybe it has to do with people taking it for fun and then realness hitting them?

i have a hard time understanding what's bad about taking psychedelics for fun.

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: Why do some people freak out? [Re: blazenn]
    #12381851 - 04/12/10 10:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

nothing bad about it.
but if they get real on you when you're expecting to have a fun time shit has potential to hit the fan... you know?

like 'dude i'm so totally going to see colors and shit'
then 'uh ugh i'm actually a douche in my own eyes and have to change the road i'm on, oh noezz!! time to do a face plant off of the 3rd story'

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck