Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Mycobag Problems: Possible contam?
    #1234111 - 01/20/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I inoculated my mycobag on 12-7-02. I saw some growth before I left my apartment for break on 12-19-02 and the bag was 100% colonized when I returned on 1-10-02. I put in back in the incubator for 3 days, and then I went about initiating pinning. I have now been waiting for pins for a week. This isn't terribly long, I know that. This is not my concern.

My concern is this: Over the past 24-48 hours (maybe even 3 days ago, I haven't been watching it every second), I have noticed that the mycobag has been rapidly filling up with air. Prior to this, it was barely noticable that there was air in the bag. I know that this is supposed to happen gradually, and this seemed awfuly fast. Also, when I squeezed some air out of the bag to check for the smell, it smelled normal; when I checked it again about 2 hrs later though, the bag was completely refilled.

My biggest concern, however, is that I see a couple dark spots on the bag. I don't know exactly when these became apparant. I just noticed them for the first time today. I can't tell if it is bruising or something different, because there is mycelium/grain coating the inside of the bag (a result of massaging). My question is wtf do I do?? I was under the impression that it was very difficult to contaminate a mycobag, and I would assume that it would be harder still because it's been at 100% for a while. I am, however, fearing the worst. I figure that I'll give it a day or two to clear up, and then I'll cut it open to see what the hell is going on. If it's very obviously contaminated I'll trash it immediately, but if not maybe I can cut off small parts with a knife (sterile, of course) and then case it in a flower pot? I don't know, I'm at a loss since this is my first time with this. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice/response, and let me know if what I purposed to do is a good idea. Hopefully all will turn out well. Thanks.

Edit -- Changed title

--------------------
ha

Edited by shroominbloom (01/20/03 11:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Mycobag Problems: Possible contam? [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1234140 - 01/20/03 11:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Shit, I think I should have posted this in the contam forum. What a dumbass I am.
Could a mod move this for me if you think that it needs to be moved?

--------------------
ha

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1234209 - 01/20/03 12:21 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If it smelled normal your probably fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had a fully colonized mycobag that finished up a few weeks before I headed back home for winter break. then I left it there for another 5 weeks. So it was about 2 months the bag sat in my closet, fully colonized. it's doing good and haven't seen any problems.

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Mycobag Problems: Possible contam? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1234226 - 01/20/03 12:27 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Ok thanks for the reassurance. It's good to know that these things are so forgiving (but I guess they should be for $15 a pop). Anyway, you don't think anything of the very small dark spots? I wish that I had a camera to upload pics, although they really couldn't be very good anyway because the view of the bag is so distorted. But anyway, they seem to be in bunches, although there are a very small number of them. The spots are small; I would almost think that they are grains but for the fact that I didn't notice them until recently. Anyway thanks a lot for the reply, hopefully the bag will turn out A-OK.

--------------------
ha

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#1234236 - 01/20/03 12:30 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

it probably is the grain.

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: Mycobag Problems: Possible contam? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1234247 - 01/20/03 12:37 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, thanks a lot for the reassurance man. I feel much better about this now, and I guess I'll just keep it in good conditions and hope that it pins. Thanks again!

--------------------
ha

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#1234368 - 01/20/03 01:47 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

lol, funny story, after my 1st bag fully colonized, I thought that I had pins, but they never grew. Then I realized that it was just the grain.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies