Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1234022 - 01/20/03 10:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"During the debates on the adoption of the Constitution, its opponents repeatedly charged that the Constitution as drafted would open the way to tyranny by the central government. Fresh in their minds was the memory of the British violation of civil rights before and during the Revolution. They demanded a "bill of rights" that would spell out the immunities of individual citizens. Several state conventions in their formal ratification of the Constitution asked for such amendments; others ratified the Constitution with the understanding that the amendments would be offered. "

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the !!people!! to keep and bear Arms, shall !!not!! be infringed.

Taken from.. http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/charters_of_freedom/bill_of_rights/amendments_1-10.html

It clearly states.. a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of the state..
AND
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

MAYBE they meant they were seperate. That would satisfy both arguements. We have a well regulated militia (national guard, police, etc.) and people have the right to bear arms (and protect themselves, as they very much should be able to.)

Makes sense to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: Evolving]
    #1234024 - 01/20/03 11:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alex, you are reading the words out of historical context and applying very recent and politically motivated interpretations of the terms. Please provide quotes from the founding fathers to back up your interpretations of the meanings of the words 'militia' and 'people' as they relate to the second amendment.

I don't blame you for asking but you know full well he won't and he can't. He'd rather keep telling the same old tired lies.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDilauded
Sensability andrespectability

Loc: Krunkville, FL
Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: Sinistar]
    #1234030 - 01/20/03 11:03 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I hear ya, stupid fucking cunts wanting to make guns illegal. It is Illegal to own a gun in Washington DC. Also, Washington, DC has the highest crime rate. I wonder why.

OJ Simpson's wife tried to get a gun, but she had to wait 5 days and by then she was murdered.

Outlaw the guns and only the outlaws will have them.

Edited by Dilauded (01/20/03 11:07 AM)

Anonymous

#1234044 - 01/20/03 11:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The 2nd Amendment Reads...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It does not say "the right of the militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". It says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed", the reason being that "a well regulated militia" is necessary for the security of freedom of the people. If there is any doubt as to the meaning of "militia" it can be inferred easily from this. It does mean a group of well armed and well trained citizens.

I believe that the amendment, if written in contemporary times with the same intent, would read
"Because the people must be able to effectively form groups useful in the resistance against tyranny, the right of the people to own weapons shall not be infringed"

I think it is ridiculous to suggest that it would say,
"The Army and National Guard, being necessary to secure the freedom of the people, shall be permitted to have weapons, but not the general population"

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1234046 - 01/20/03 11:09 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Look up the definition of regulated at the time the 2nd was written... I'll save you the trouble... it meant well equiped.

Whoa.  I just did an internet search and even back in the 18th century, "regulated" meant "regulated".  Are you accusing someone of lying and then doing it yourself???  :wink: I need evidence for this one, because I couldn't find any.   

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

OfflineX.O
Fucktard
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Sinistar]
    #1234047 - 01/20/03 11:09 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
I'm a huge idiot

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: ]
    #1234062 - 01/20/03 11:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The 2nd Amendment Reads...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

It does not say "the right of the militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". It says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed", the reason being that "a well regulated militia" is necessary for the security of freedom of the people. If there is any doubt as to the meaning of "militia" it can be inferred easily from this. It does mean a group of well armed and well trained citizens.

I believe that the amendment, if written in contemporary times with the same intent, would read
"Because the people must be able to effectively form groups useful in the resistance against tyranny, the right of the people to own weapons shall not be infringed"

I think it is ridiculous to suggest that it would say,
"The Army and National Guard, being necessary to secure the freedom of the people, shall be permitted to have weapons, but not the general population"

I almost completely agree with you. Except your modern day interpretation ignores the "well regulated" part. How would that be translated?

--------------------

OfflineDilauded

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: X.O]
    #1234070 - 01/20/03 11:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Gotta love that weapon

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: Dilauded]
    #1234076 - 01/20/03 11:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I don't want to outlaw guns, but there out to be limits on what kind of gun you can have. M-16's should not be in the hands of a bunch of angry, gun-loving rednecks.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDilauded

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: silversoul7]
    #1234110 - 01/20/03 11:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with you there, and weapons like those are illegal for the regular citizen or redneck, i mean Southern Gentlemen. But if anybody really wants a guns like that, join the military and skies the limit.

Dilauded

Anonymous

#1234123 - 01/20/03 11:36 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I agree that there must be limits on the type of weapons that people are permitted to have. At the time of the drafting of the Constitution, this was not as much of an issue because the most powerful weapons of the time were rifles and cannon. I don't think private citizens should be permitted to own and operate armed fighter jets. I also don't think that they should be permitted to own nuclear weapons. However, I think that an M-16 is not excessive. I think that small arms of any kind should be permitted.

Anonymous

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: X.O]
    #1234144 - 01/20/03 11:49 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Doesn't beat... The Raging Bull. .454 Casul BAAAM!!!

Anonymous

#1234239 - 01/20/03 12:32 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Would I be considered an angry gun-loving redneck, or a good friend of mine who has about 10 variations of the M-16? Neither of us have ever been convicted or even accused of any crime other than traffic violations. Neither of us are missing any teeth. Neither of us eat squirrel for dinner. Neither of us live in the back country. Neither of us have any anger managment problems, we're both fine upstanding citizens. We both just love to go to the range on a weekend and shoot assault rifles. Before you argue against something so passionately, try it so you know where the opposition is coming from.

Anonymous

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: ]
    #1234242 - 01/20/03 12:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

.454 Casull has to be my favorite handgun round.  Nothing quite beats shooting through a mature pine tree with a pistol :laugh:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1234256 - 01/20/03 12:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rewriting the bill of rights into your own words, and saying that puts the issue to rest is kind of silly to me. Anyone can rewrite it into their own words. Personally, I think it should only be interpreted as is: "a well regulated militia".

A well-regulated Militia...
A question was posted to alt.politics.usa.constitution.gun-rights the other day, regarding this phrase in the 2nd Amendment. Of the responses posted, two stood out as what I would consider "required reading". 8/30/99

Here's one...
> Q: How do the pro-gun people incorporate the clause well-regulated militia
> into the right for citizens in the US to arm themselves privately without
> belonging to a well-regulated militia?

A:
(posted by tpg's Scout - scout@monumental.com)
Simple. First let's look at what the 2nd states.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

OK, first we start off with a subordinate clause which states an opinion. This opinion is not a limitation upon the main clause but rather explains to the reader one of the many reasons for the main clause.

Further when we examine the main clause it is clear that the right to bear arms is that of the people, not the militia, and that this right is not subject to infringement.

OK, but aren't those people only those in the militia?

No, there is no restrictive language within the 2nd to state or even imply that the right of the people is limited to that subgroup of the people called the militia. If they had meant the militia, then they would have said militia. Nor is the people the same as the militia, the militia stems from the people (hence the need for an armed people) but is NOT the same as the people. It's like saying the army comes from the people. It does. However that is not the same as saying the people are the army, since the army is but a subgroup of the people.

Maybe it would be easier if we expressed it in another manner. Let's try the following sentence.

A well read electorate being necessary to the continuance of an informed election, the right of the people to have and read books shall not be limited.

Exact same grammar, just a substitution of different nouns for nouns, verbs for verbs and so on. Given the direct substitution the grammatical construction has not changed.

So tell me, reading that sentence, would you say that only those people that vote should or be allowed to have books. No, because you need to have books to become informed long before you vote, nor can you insure when that person will find it necessary to vote.

So is it with guns. We need an armed population of people from which militias can be formed in times of emergency. Without those armed people, no militia can be formed, thus could not maintain the security of the free state. In fact it tends to happen automatically when in crisis the powers of law and order become over extended or completely fail. Witness neighbors banning together to protect the remains of their homes from looters after a hurricane. Witness shop owners banning together to protect their stores from looting, rioting, and being subjected to being burned down during the LA riots. No one knows when this response will be necessary so it is important that people can ALWAYS response in an effective manner.

Further if we check the writings of the founding fathers it becomes quite clear that the people must retain the means to insure that any government they form remains subservient to their will, which can even mean the use of force to do so. After all they had just finished doing this to regain their liberty. So we see that an armed population insures that the government will listen to the will of the people, one way or another.

Finally, let's examine the BoR, it is a listing of individual rights to be protected from the government. It would be most odd to say to the government, you can't disarm they very people you require to be armed.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

#1234273 - 01/20/03 12:57 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I don't want to outlaw guns, but there out to be limits on what kind of gun you can have. M-16's should not be in the hands of a bunch of angry, gun-loving rednecks.

Like this 1?

Whats up with that why limit what we can own? Anyway there done out there they can't take them away. Only thing they can do is call them pre bans. Like mine in the pic

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1234351 - 01/20/03 01:38 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

OK, first we start off with a subordinate clause which states an opinion. This opinion is not a limitation upon the main clause but rather explains to the reader one of the many reasons for the main clause.

Almost true. It explains to the reader not "one of the many reasons", but the reason for the main clause.

You've convinced me to believe that so long as "a well regulated militia" is necessary for the security of a free state then people have a right to bear arms under the 2nd amendment, if they have the intention of being a part of the "well regulated militia" which is "necessary to the security of a free state". But I would argue that a militia is NOT necessary for the security of a free state in today's day and age, due to the strength of our military. I realize this is debatable and probably best left as a subject for another thread.

--------------------

Edited by GoBlue! (01/20/03 02:26 PM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: For You Gun Haters [Re: Anonymous]
    #1234490 - 01/20/03 02:54 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't mean to imply that all gun owners are rednecks. What I meant by that comment is that it's dangerous for that much firepower to fall into the wrong hands.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1234492 - 01/20/03 02:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I need not convince you of anything. It is what it is. A right "of the people".

Whether it is one of many, or the only, it is and until the ammendment is changed or eliminated, it will remain a right "of the people".

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1234493 - 01/20/03 02:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It is far more dangerous for guns NOT to be in the right hands.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder