Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

King oysters on straw+newspaper+alfalfa log partial fail
    #12329790 - 04/04/10 02:58 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I finally tried my first batches of king oysters on the same recipe i am using for blues (straw, 10-15% shredded newspaper, 10-15% alfalfa).  Looks like the newspaper is making things too wet and I have been getting contams where I accidentally get a grain against the plastic when building and the bacteria makes way for mold.  I had to break off about 50% of the logs to toss, but still 50% good and fruiting.  My jars were from multispore and perhaps if I made a cleaner culture on agar the extra wetness wouldn't be a problem.  But I made 2 logs kings tonight minus the newspaper and we'll see what happens.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMrPinkFloyd

Loc: United States Flag
Re: King oysters on straw+newspaper+alfalfa log partial fail [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #12329831 - 04/04/10 03:05 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Awesome.  When I get a clean King culture, I'll be trying this same thing as well, except instead of alfalfa, I'm using corn cobs.

Worked pretty nicely with blues.  I am weary of the paper as well though.  It seemed that the blues didn't like to eat the paper as readily as the straw.

congrats on the 1000 posts, btw.  :laugh:

:peace:

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: King oysters on straw+newspaper+alfalfa log partial fail [Re: MrPinkFloyd]
    #12330406 - 04/04/10 04:39 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

Corn cobs is not a substitution for alfalfa.  Alfalfa is a high N supplement while cobs are roughly nutritious as straw.  Sub cobs for straw or go cobs+alfalfa, which should work well.

Blues can colonize shredded office paper only , but yields are poor compared to straw. Nothing will colonize pure shredded newspaper though as is retains too much water (unless you pressed it out with an old laundry wringer, etc)

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix