Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelolasolovely
Stranger/orphan
Female User Gallery

Loc: westbygod virginia
some guy told me mushrooms cause stomach cancer
    #12304268 - 03/31/10 09:20 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

i already know this is wrong, however i need someone to explain to me
1.  why are they NOT toxic
2.  what gets you fu*ked up?
SO I CAN DEBUNK THIS MYTH
ITS NOT POISONOUS...but im unable to explain why.

thank you, already:)

--------------------
you should never monkey with another monkey's monkey!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: some guy told me mushrooms cause stomach cancer [Re: lolasolovely]
    #12304335 - 03/31/10 09:36 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

google?

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
    #12304389 - 03/31/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Isn't it obvious?
The stomach cancer gets you "fucked up"

Offlinelolasolovely
Stranger/orphan
Female User Gallery

Loc: westbygod virginia
    #12304686 - 03/31/10 10:53 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

puwtrip said:
got this from the:  BULLETIN OF THE PUGET SOUND MYCOLOGICAL SOCIETY

talks about some mushrooms containing agaritine which can be carcinogenic and the problem of digesting chitin (mushroom fibers) which leads to nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. this could be a reason for some people throwing up if they are sensitive. i wonder if powdering aids digestion or expulsion?

EATING RAW MUSHROOMS CAUSES PROBLEMS Jan Lindgren
MushRumors, Oregon Myco. Soc., March?April 1997

Most of us think nothing of eating a few sliced, raw, ?store bought? mushrooms in salads, on hors d?oeuvre trays, or when preparing them for the frying pan. Usually the amount eaten is so small that we don?t notice any unpleasant symptoms, but it is not a good idea to eat any mushroom raw. I know the commercial growers will laugh and scoff at this statement and some of you will say you can eat lots of them with no problem, but researchers have shown that even Agaricus bisporus, the ?store bought? mushroom, contains agaritine which metabolizes into a hydrazine.

Many hydrazines are known to be strong carcinogens and can be found in a lot of edible mushrooms. Cooking destroys some or all of the hydrazines, but the steam given off during cooking has been known to make some cooks ill. Besides this fact, the structural material or cell walls in mushrooms is made of chitin, and humans don?t have the ability to digest this derivative of cellulose. The body can do several things to this undigested chitin. It can expel it by vomiting or send it the other way with diarrhea. Small amounts may pass through the gut with other food and go unnoticed, or it may stay in the gut where bacteria will work on it causing bloating, gas, and other discomfort. Cooking does not destroy chitin but may ease its effect. Once in the habit of eating A. bisporus raw, people think they can eat any mushroom without thorough cooking, and this is where they may experience some very unpleasant symptoms. In February, a case recorded at the Or! egon Poison Center told of a woman who ate home cultivated, raw Pleurotus ostreatus with her lunch and experienced nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. While this may not be a serious health problem it could have been avoided. A better job of educating people about wild collected and cultivated mushrooms is necessary.

We assume that chefs at good hotels and restaurants know not to serve raw mushrooms, but this isn?t the case. You may recall that on June 8, 1991, about 70 people were made ill at a large banquet in Vancouver, B.C., because they were served raw morels and other raw mushrooms in a salad.

The spring verpas, morels, and brainlike mushrooms (Gyromitra) are notorious for their toxicity in the raw state and, for some people, in the cooked state. Please be careful and remember that drying is not a substitute for cooking and that folding sliced mushrooms into an omelet just before serving or pouring hot vinegar and spices over raw mushrooms is not efficient heating or cooking. The best rule to follow is cook all mushrooms thoroughly before eating and eat them in moderation.

A good reference for more information about mushrooms and health is Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas by Denis R. Benjamin of Seattle.

--------------------
you should never monkey with another monkey's monkey!!

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #12306644 - 03/31/10 03:50 PM (14 years, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

lolasolovely said:ITS NOT POISONOUS...but im unable to explain why.

meh?
can you explain why carrots aren't poisonous?
they just aren't, there's no explaining to do.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: some guy told me mushrooms cause stomach cancer [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #12327887 - 04/04/10 09:02 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Taken from Wikipedia - The toxicity of psilocybin is low; in rats, the oral LD50 is 280 mg/kg, approximately one and a half times that of caffeine. The lethal dose from psilocybin toxicity alone is unknown at recreational or medicinal levels, and has never been documented; a 2008 case report noted "Death from psilocybin intake alone is unknown at recreational or medicinal levels. Psilocybin makes up roughly 1% of the weight of Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, and so nearly 1.7 kilograms of dried mushrooms, or 17 kilograms of fresh mushrooms, would be required for a 60 kg person to reach the 280 mg/kg LD50 rate of rats.

as for how they get you "fucked up,"

Magic mushroom's are similar to any other edible mushroom except they contain psilocybin. When ingested, dephosphorylation converts psilocybin into psilocin, which is a zwitterionic alkaloid (known to help prevent cancer). The psilocin then gets absorbed into the blood stream and travels to the brain where it binds to the 5-HT2A serotonin receptors.

To my understanding, that's how Psilocybin makes you trip. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

--------------------

Edited by x Ju x (11/09/12 10:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale