Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
75X Electric Steam Stereoclave * 1
    #12318432 - 04/02/10 03:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have a few questions for anyone who owns a All American  Electric Steam Stereoclave. I am thinking of buying a couple of these and I am not fully convinced I want too so if you could, please answer these questions for me.

1. Are they very energy efficient?
2. Cost of operation a few times a day?
3. Says there is a  timer. Is this switchable? Can I disable it for a longer run or do I have to keep setting it? I really have no idea.
4. Says there is a thermostat. Does this mean I get to just set the psi/temp and let it go without worries?

Much appreciated to anyone who can ease my mind.

Lipa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleayahuasquero
Salvia Gardener
Re: 75X Electric Steam Stereoclave [Re: lipa] * 1
    #12318805 - 04/02/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Lipa,

I purchased one to use for my tissue culture work. I guess you can say they are energy efficient.. They do use 1600 Watts.. That's with the unit turned all the way up to its highest heat. If you're only using for 6 hours a day, that's less than having indoor lighting with 2000 watts of power from 2 hps ballasts.. So maybe $15-20 extra per month on the power bill, if I had to take a guess. There is a timer, but its not connected to anything, its only for your own awareness.. its only able to be set for 1 hour.... Remember.. not physically connected to any power of the unit.. its just a built in timer =) .. Just turn it to an hour, and it goes... There is also a thermostat, and it works well, basically you have a numbered adjustment of how hot you want the unit. This is also calibrated at the company before you receive your box, so it will already be set to a specific number. I use a setting of 5, which will give you about 18PSI all the way through.. With that being said, the thermostat turns the unit off when it reaches that desired temp and keeps that heat maintained by turning itself back on, when the temperature drops. You really can leave the room, and check on it every 30 mins or so, and not have to worry. Unlike a stove unit, where one needs to keep adjusting the heat so it won't explode =) So yes, no worries.. just let it go.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 75X Electric Steam Stereoclave [Re: ayahuasquero] * 1
    #12319124 - 04/02/10 05:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have four of the 75X models, with the optional base for them to sit on.  As said, the timer just rings a bell, but doesn't shut anything off.  It's pretty useless.  The thermostat is great though.  I leave the toggle open to vent steam for a few minutes, and then close it and walk away.  All that's left to do is set a timer for 90 minutes once pressure is reached.  At that point, simply shut off the switch and walk away.  I also use a thermostat setting of 5.

They pull 1600 watts whenever the element is on.  There is also a red light to tell you when current is being drawn through the element.  You'll only be drawing 1.6 kilowatt/hours for the first hour as the unit comes up to pressure.  After that, you'll draw about 10% of that amount because it draws nothing unless the thermostat is calling for heat.

Bear in mind, you can't operate two of these on the same circuit.  You'll need separate circuits for each.  If you're in the US, kitchens are REQUIRED by code to have two dedicated outlets that feed the kitchen counters and go nowhere else, so use these for your sterilizers if you run them at the same time.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 75X Electric Steam Stereoclave [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #12320869 - 04/02/10 10:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you very much guys. I think I will buy two of them with the base. Thanks for the tips also.

Lipa

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

#12321801 - 04/03/10 02:32 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Bear in mind, you can't operate two of these on the same circuit.  You'll need separate circuits for each.  If you're in the US, kitchens are REQUIRED by code to have two dedicated outlets that feed the kitchen counters and go nowhere else, so use these for your sterilizers if you run them at the same time.
RR

I believe the small appliance circuit code wasn't added to the NEC till somewhere in the 90's. Houses older than that still won't have them because the code wasn't implemented before they were built...And they do go somewhere else, the dining room. :wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 75X Electric Steam Stereoclave [Re: Sci-Fi] * 1
    #12322946 - 04/03/10 11:31 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Not correct.  The small appliance circuit requirements are in my oldest code book, the 1975 version.

The two small appliance circuits can go NOwhere else but the kitchen counters.  The other kitchen circuits can feed nowhere else but a clock outlet, per the code.  If anything, the code has become more liberal over the years, not stricter.

I just got my 30 year IBEW pin.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

#12323392 - 04/03/10 12:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Dear brother RR,
Check the first sentence of 210.52(b)(3) and the first sentence of 210.52(b)(1), NEC 2005 The two small appliance circuits required can include a breakfast room, pantry, dining room, or similar area on either the same two required for the kitchen or additional small appliance circuits.

...I had a feeling reading your posts that you were a wireman, but it was you're use of the term eddy currents, your manure movers local 239 t-shirt, and you're :thumbdown: to china and walmart that really gave it away.

Edited by Sci-Fi (04/05/10 01:24 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 75X Electric Steam Stereoclave [Re: Sci-Fi] * 1
    #12324212 - 04/03/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That's a commonly misunderstood passage and they could have written it better. 

It's clarified somewhat in 210.52(B)(2) "The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets."  It then gives exception 1 and 2 which cover clocks and the lighting or igniter circuit for gas fired ranges, etc.

The idea is they're dedicated small-appliance circuits and shouldn't be used for general purpose receptacles, lighting, etc.  There can be more than one outlet on each circuit, but they must feed the dedicated spaces specified in 210.52(B)1. Don't try to extend one of them to a general purpose outlet in the dining room or the inspector will ding ya.

Part of the reason 'dining room' was mentioned is that in some efficiency/studio condos and apartments, there's no real line between kitchen and the rest of the unit.  They wanted to clarify that by whatever name they call it, the food preparation area is to have two dedicated circuits that feed nowhere else.

Local 46 here, (semi)retired.  Mushroom farmer now. :laugh:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #12324249 - 04/03/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You have to make your own switch to turn it off on a timer. the timer does not turn it off. Its useless in fact, it just rings for a very short period of time when the timer goes off. It does not turn the unit off.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder