Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
Loc: texas
setting up a sterile closet/ grow room
    #12322771 - 04/03/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

hello friends. New guy here. I am about to start converting a closet into a sterile room for grows. its about 6'x6' i picked up a massive heavy duty tarp gray in color, but not sure on thickness. I plan to use the tarp to line the entire inside of the closet. using corner strapping to secure the seams and corners to the drywall, then use duct tape to cover the strapping to seal it in. i plan to keep the floor and door area all part of the tarp and only make cuts were absolutely necessary to avoid possible points of contams. for the doorway i plan to use a small seam about 4 ft long and use velcro at this seam to keep it sealed. similar to a tent door opening... Then i willbe using a 2 marthas. 1 for fruiting and 1 for incubating after casing. this will allow me to keep possible contams from spreading from incubating martha to fruiting martha. I dont plan to spare any expenses when it comes to a nice hepa filtration, and im thinking i will need at least 1 cool mist humidifier for the fruiting chamber. my biggest concern is temperature. my house is constant 72 degrees so i will need to warm things up a bit. Anyone have an idea as to keeping different temperatures within the same closet (different temps for incubation and fruiting chambers?

can anyone offer any advice? tips and tricks to help keep things sterile? ive read a few teks on setting similar closets up so im hoping this goes fairly well. i picked up a full blown rubberized rain suit that i can douse with lysol before i step foot into my grow room

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: p0opstlnksal0t]
    #12322799 - 04/03/10 11:00 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

you don't need to do any of that to your closet. you only need to be sterile when it matters..which does not include your fruiting area. you don't need a separate martha to incubate everything. and your house temperature is just fine. no need to heat it at all.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: prismism]
    #12323786 - 04/03/10 01:42 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i see. the only reason i wanted a seperate martha for incubation is incase of a contam outbreak in one of the tubs i can control it from spreading to the fruiting area easily. this will be my only workspace the only thing i will be doing outside of this closet is PCn my grains and pc 50/50 casings

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#12323881 - 04/03/10 01:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

just buy one martha and that will be your fruiting chamber. place that in your closet. your household temperatures are perfect for colonization and fruiting. don't incubate anything. your jars and colonizing tubs/trays can be placed anywhere in your residence and they will be fine. they don't need darkness or heat.
do not worry so much about contamination. you only need to be sterile when you are inoculating or doing agar work or grain to grain transfers or other sterile work. your martha is not going to be sterile and it has no reason to be because when you are fruiting your mycelium can handle the elements.
instead of wasting your money on redesigning your closet and an extra martha, go out and get a really nice pressure cooker instead.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
    #12324065 - 04/03/10 02:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ya ive been looking into a american standard or something, has like steel on steel gasket, its like 20 qaurts.

so once i case my grain, they are no longer in need of a sterile environment, rather the proper temp and humidity is necessary correct? this proper temp and humidity will be accomplished in the martha. so really it will go like this: prepare grain. inoculate grain. prepare casing. once grain is ready, place into tubs and case. store for appropriate time until colonized. once colonized place into fruiting chamber.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#12324179 - 04/03/10 02:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

don't case straight grain.

spawn it to a nutritious substrate, and if you feel the desire to case it (applying a non-nutritious layer on top of the substrate, to aid in keeping your humidity levels up) then do so AFTER your grain has completely colonized your bulk substrate (h-poo, straw, coir&verm)

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: TheBandit]
    #12324355 - 04/03/10 03:29 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Outsunny-Mini-Portable-Green-House-Greenhouse_W0QQitemZ330407450002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cedd19592

Its about 6 foot wide and 3 foot deep. It should fit in one side of your closet. You could fit 16 tubs like this (12 quart dishpan) in it as is:

But if you put a shelf in the greenhouse, you can fit another 8, for a total of 24. Get two cool mist humidifiers and a timer or two for them. Put the cool mists right on the floor in front of the door and the shelf behind to the back. You cant walk in but you can reach in plenty. Get some plastic tarp for the bottom.

On the other side for "incubation" you just put a shelf, you cover the casings with tin foil. Go to home depot and get the build your own closet shelving stuff and you can make shelves just the right size and height. You dont need to heat anything though, you'll be fine.

You'll want to leave the closet open as much as you can as well and cut slits all over the greenhouse. I got one for 49.99, so maybe if you look youll find one cheaper then the 70 one I gave. I've done the closet thing too (see signature)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12324580 - 04/03/10 04:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Get one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Outsunny-Mini-Portable-Green-House-Greenhouse_W0QQitemZ330407450002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cedd19592

Its about 6 foot wide and 3 foot deep. It should fit in one side of your closet. You could fit 16 tubs like this (12 quart dishpan) in it as is:

But if you put a shelf in the greenhouse, you can fit another 8, for a total of 24. Get two cool mist humidifiers and a timer or two for them. Put the cool mists right on the floor in front of the door and the shelf behind to the back. You cant walk in but you can reach in plenty. Get some plastic tarp for the bottom.

On the other side for "incubation" you just put a shelf, you cover the casings with tin foil. Go to home depot and get the build your own closet shelving stuff and you can make shelves just the right size and height. You dont need to heat anything though, you'll be fine.

You'll want to leave the closet open as much as you can as well and cut slits all over the greenhouse. I got one for 49.99, so maybe if you look youll find one cheaper then the 70 one I gave. I've done the closet thing too (see signature)

damn that greenhouse is slick, found it for cheaper too, problem is my closet is only 3'6" deep and 4'9" wide :frown: i completely misjudged its size, lol. i will look tonight to see if i can find a similar greenhouse setup or i will be limited to the martha which is ok

Offlineabitavenger
3rd gear vtak
Male

Loc: east coast
    #12324635 - 04/03/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Karma.

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: abitavenger]
    #12324656 - 04/03/10 04:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
    #12324678 - 04/03/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TheBandit said:

spawn it to a nutritious substrate, and if you feel the desire to case it (applying a non-nutritious layer on top of the substrate, to aid in keeping your humidity levels up) then do so AFTER your grain has completely colonized your bulk substrate (h-poo, straw, coir&verm)

will my yields be less when casing straight grain? was reading in the FAQ that it can be used as substrate but if yields will suffer than i will move to spawning a bulk substrate.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#12324697 - 04/03/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

p0opstlnksal0t said:
Quote:

TheBandit said:

will my yields be less when casing straight grain? was reading in the FAQ that it can be used as substrate but if yields will suffer than i will move to spawning a bulk substrate.

the yields will be much less when casing grain as opposed to spawning to a bulk substrate.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlineabitavenger
3rd gear vtak
Male

Loc: east coast
Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: prismism]
    #12324717 - 04/03/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I spawn to bulk and don't even case. works out great for me. you have to make sure you have your moisture content right in your bulk sub

--------------------
Karma.

Offlineph34r
Captain Cannabis
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #12324876 - 04/03/10 05:16 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Your pics just gave me a boner scatmanrav

--------------------
"Yeah well, you know...that's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

#12324958 - 04/03/10 05:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

p0opstlnksal0t said:
Quote:

TheBandit said:

substantially.

definitely spawn to a bulk sub.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:

RR [/quote]

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #12324980 - 04/03/10 05:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

abitavenger said:
This is what I've got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Tier-Mini-Portable-GREENHOUSE-Green-Grow-Hot-House_W0QQitemZ250607686650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5961d3fa

Ive got a few of these too, they work if thats what youve got room for..I just like the bigger one better :smirk: Only holds 7 casings if you put the humidifier in there..but 7 12 quart tubs can yield quite a good haul. Go with this one, and go to Lowes and get the large black cement mixing tub (with cement supplies) and fill with wet perlite, the greenhouse fits right in and you can slide it around. No need for plastic tarps which is cool.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinedicky21
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #12324984 - 04/03/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

scatmanrav........... EPIC

--------------------

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
    #12325917 - 04/03/10 08:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the help my freinds. I can actually get 2 of the smaller greenhouses against the back of th closet, and i will just build shelves on the left and right sides to house the tubs that are colonizing before they go into fruiting.

scat, where did you pick up the dish tubs? lowes or wally world? preciate the help bro

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #12325940 - 04/03/10 08:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Target. Im sure the Marts have them too. Any tubs that sizish will work. 12 quart sweater boxes from the dollar store work too, and then you can flip uncased bulk from the container onto the lid and fruit (search hippie chick greenhouse).

Lowes for the big black tubs though for under the greenhouse. Home Depot has some, but the sides slant in a bit much..Lowes brand is :thumbup: Plastic works too, but I like a tub with perlite to catch water and humidify.

--------------------

Offlinep0opstlnksal0t
Señor Caca Pantalones
Male
Re: setting up a sterile closet/ grow room [Re: scatmanrav]
    #12333998 - 04/05/10 07:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Scat you are a pimp, I appreciate the help! I checked out the hippieChick greenhouse and this setup is perfect!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates