Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShrewDigsby
Toker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shrewtown somewhere near ...
A General Florida Terrain Question
    #1225356 - 01/17/03 03:33 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm from Chicago and am going down to Florida for the first time in 22 years with my girlfriend.  We'll be visiting her grandmother who's a little drive north of Tampa.  My thinking is that it would be fun to do a little hunting.  I don't really plan on finding any, but I thought it'd be fun to do a little preparation prior to the trip, and if nothin else it'll be nice to be out walkin around in warm 70 degree weather.

My question is based on the following:
My girlfriend tells me that the grass isn't soft down in tampa like it is up here.  She says the place is filled with bugs and ants and spiders and snakes.  She's apparently spent a lot of time there, and refuses to walk in the grass.  I think this is silly.  How bad can a few fire ants be, and how often does one frequent an angry snake.  She also says she won't go in any wilderness areas.

Are these conditions that she swears by really this drastic???  I pictured a beautifully lush, green state...considering it rains there all the time.  And how bad can bugs be...she's describing it as though there are half dollar size spidars and lizards runnin all over the place.

When I go to Florida come a couple months from now what should I expect???  Thanks for your answers in advance!!!  :laugh: 

--------------------
Marijuana is a horticultural plant.  Hemp is an industrial weed.  I believe they were both provided to us by GOD to use and enjoy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: A General Florida Terrain Question [Re: ShrewDigsby]
    #1225600 - 01/17/03 05:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Being a Florida native of 20 years, I would say that you should be fine. Just don't step in a big ant hill and stand there for more than a few secs. Also, wear jeans and some shoes you don't mind getting muddy or shitty.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1225603 - 01/17/03 05:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

At this time of year there's nothing to worry about. She's really just being a big pansy, its not THAT bad... Unless maybe you get stranded in the middle of the woods for a few days. Yes, the grass is different, and yes there are ants, but it's not nearly as bad as she makes it sound. The hardest part will be adjusting to that damned humidity. The only real things you have to worry about when hunting in Florida are spider bites, farmers with guns, cops with attitudes, and Pigmy Rattlesnakes.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1227750 - 01/17/03 08:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, its not bad at all, even in the summer. Like Gumby said, this time of year is perfect.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: ShrewDigsby]
    #1227818 - 01/17/03 08:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: A General Florida Terrain Question [Re: matts]
    #1228013 - 01/18/03 02:33 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I thought FL was going to be some wild jungle from hell with crazy insects trying to carry off my flesh.  I've lived here for two years, dont worry about anything its not half as bad as the mosquitos in wisconsin.  Also its colder out, you dont have to worry about snakes or anything like that, they are in hybernation.  Most insects are dormant right now as well.  Its supposed to be freezing for the next few days, but if u get a few warmer days you may have some luck out on the hunt.  Good Luck, and enjoy the state :smile:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineShrewDigsby
Toker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shrewtown somewhere near ...
Re: A General Florida Terrain Question [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1228072 - 01/18/03 03:30 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Guys, your responses have been awesome. I've had nothin to go on being I'm unfamiliar w/ FL...and have been loosing all my arguments w/ the woman until now. Sometimes it's hard to persuade a stick in the mud, but I'm going to do it!!! Thanks.

--------------------
Marijuana is a horticultural plant.  Hemp is an industrial weed.  I believe they were both provided to us by GOD to use and enjoy.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #1229897 - 01/18/03 07:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I lived in Tampa for 2 years, you have nothing to be afraid of whatsoever... all the dangerous critters live in samps and water. If you wanna hunt for cubes now is the time to do it before the spring droughts hit. Look in any cattle field outside of town.. i've found numerous cubes not even 10 minutes outside of town. If you know what a Cube looks like that's pretty much all you need.. just find a farm, make up a story about doing research or somthing.. tell them you go to USF or somthing and then head out to look in the cowshit. The wetter the ground is the better.. it's always best to go a day or two after it rains. June-September is the prime time in FL but you could find em now too as long as the ground is moist.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1230475 - 01/19/03 05:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

SHit,

You should come with me to Thailand and Cambodia where they have centipedes, Cobras and fireants and scopions in the fields. HEhehe. Our expedition runs into them every year.
In Florida, my son and I killed a four foot long water mocassin in a swampy pasture area near Jacksonville.

At my sisters home in Orlando Florida between her house and her swimming pool are the worst fireant collection I ever came across. The dog eats them. He looks like scooby-doo.

Anyway I picked there for a while and no problems. There are also Black aWidow spiders under boards and large rocks in pasture areas and old wood areas so be leary of turning over cowpies since the spiders also nest under them where there are poxckets in the poop.

mj

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sEmbryoticAsshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1230919 - 01/19/03 09:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by Thor (01/19/03 10:44 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: A General Florida Terrain Question [Re: em_bre_O]
    #1231019 - 01/19/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My children were with me in the pastures and the snake poised and spit and I beat the shit out of him with a large piece of branch.

Of course I have let Cobra's live in Thailand when we came uponb them. They spit.

Here is a snake I stuck my face into without thinking.

I was four inches from his face.

Also, A ten-year-old child walking on his sidewalk in Jacksonville, Florida when I lived there in 1979 was bit by a four foot Eastern Diamond back Rattler. The kid almost died. The parents shot the snake.

If I had let it live it may have found you in its field 22 years later and bit you, causing you to have a massive hemmorage of the butthole and eventyually you would have died.

So Remember itwas I who saved you from a fate more horrible than Oprah.

So you can thank me in advance for saving your life.

Okay.

Here is the snake.

and on another day in Thailand I overturned a manure pile net to some wood to pick a large shroom in tropism form from the ground and under to the left of the wood were theese creatures I happened upon one day

mj

See it can be dangerous if you do not watch what you are doing or picking.

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sEmbryoticAsshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1231767 - 01/19/03 04:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: A General Florida Terrain Question [Re: em_bre_O]
    #1231831 - 01/19/03 05:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well... This thread has degenerated beyond the point of salvation. I'm gonna have to put it on lock down. Just like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre did.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate