Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Loc: Garden of Weeden
Homemade Mycobag Tek! Cheap and easy!
    #1227974 - 01/18/03 01:12 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well a few days ago I posted about making mycobags. My idea was usually met with skepticism and the "too open to contams" problem. But I think I have found an extremely cheap and easy method of making your very own Mycobag.  Here is how to it.

:Materials:
-Rival Brand Seal-a-meal cooking pouches. (you can get something other than Rival brand, but Rival works really nice for about $4) Make sure you get the 8" X 9" bags  [Grocery Store]

-Some Rubber Cement(the kind that comes in a can, with brush applicator). [Grocery Store]

-Professional grade masking tape [Grocery Store]

-a Cigarette Lighter [just about anywhere]

Procedure:

1. mix up the standard PF tech substrate (flour/verm) and add it to the bag. You want to fill the bag about half way full.

2. Fold the empty half of the bag over and use the lighter to slightly melt the plastic around the side of the bag. Once you heat it up enough to see it start to melt, press it together with your fingers (use gloves if you are worried about burning yourself). This will create a nice seal.

3. Put 3 layers of masking tape over the open part of the bag. (What was the top before you folded it).

4. Sterilize using a PC if you have one. If not you can boil or microwave the bags. Boil them for an hour or microwave them in 1 minute bursts for 5 minutes. What I mean by "bursts" is nuke for 1 minute then let sit for 1 minute, untill you have 5 minutes nuking time. (10 minutes total)

5. To make a nice, self-healing inoculation point take a generous glob of rubber cement (about the size of a marble) and put it on the bag. You want it to be kinda spread out along the sides and a little "pregnant" in the middle. Make sure the sides are thin because it makes it stick to the smooth bag better. Allow the glue to dry completely.

After that you are ready to inoculate. Inoculate 1cc to one side of the bag and move the needle to the other side of the bag and inoculate one more cc.

I am still kind of trying this out though...I inoculated with PF strain Myc water 2 days ago and am seeing good, healthy growth. I will keep you guys posted as to how the rest of the experiment goes.  :cool: :grin: :cool:

Edited by Krayzie (01/18/03 02:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Homemade Mycobag Tek! Cheap and easy! [Re: Krayzie]
    #1228453 - 01/18/03 07:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I tried using tukey bags. It was funny; first the bag expanded so much in the PC that it was having trouble releasing presure, then when I pulled the bag out it broke. So don't use those damn turkey bags, they don't work. Anyway, nice work.

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

Edited by lvleph (01/18/03 07:27 AM)

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Re: Homemade Mycobag Tek! Cheap and easy! [Re: lvleph]
    #1230380 - 01/19/03 04:28 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Are you talking about the turkey oven bags? I bought some of those when I went to the store for the seal-a-meal bags. :smirk: When I first looked at them I didn't think they would work either. But I got to thinking about it and noticed that if you got large or medium sized bags, it would be even better than the seal-a-meal bags. Those are good for making a nice big casing layer. But for a true, "Inoculation through harvest" (Fruiting in the bag) mycobag you would need to use these oven bags. To fix the problem with expanding in the PC you need to make a nice little 2" X 2" hole and place a filter disk. This will allow for gas exchange and will keep your bag from exploding

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1232885 - 01/20/03 04:21 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I was looking at those vaccum bag sealers, the other day. Can you seal the bags without vaccuming them?

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

#1232972 - 01/20/03 04:48 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yes extremly cheap...But...Is it worth the risk of wasting all the time and ingredients? Why not just buy one, with a guarantee, There you go, No chance for contam. It may be a little more pricey but it's worth the certainty that you won't have any contam. problems.

--------------------
"Some say we'll see armagedon soon...I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation."

OfflineSillycybe
Sillycybe

#1232979 - 01/20/03 04:50 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have to reply again on your statement on the twice innoculation method. This not only gives you a much greater risk of contam. problems, but it adds these problems ontop of an already skeptical proceedure. Reall, I would consider just splurging for the 15$ bag!

--------------------
"Some say we'll see armagedon soon...I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation."

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Re: Homemade Mycobag Tek! Cheap and easy! [Re: Sillycybe]
    #1261201 - 01/30/03 07:40 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, true, this tek is open to contams...and you are the judge of what tek you use. Personally though I would rather spend 5 dollars on a box of 18 bags, then 15 dollars for ONE. I am still kind of dicking around with this but pretty soon I should be able to come up with a good solution for the contam problem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale