Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: kurshiukas]
    #12347021 - 04/07/10 06:10 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

What if you took two lids, each with a small hole in it, and placed both of them on the jar, with the holes offset from each other? 

Mason jars explode at less than 10 psi.  They will hold vacuum, but not pressure. People when canning fruits forget to leave the lid a little bit loose, and open the canner to find broken jars.

Let's not laugh at people's mistakes.  We all make them, and if we're trying to learn new things, we continue to make them.  Otherwise, we wouldn't ever learn anything.  A famous inventor once said something to the effect of, "I've never had a failure.  I've only discovered ten thousand ways that don't work".
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescienceguy
Instrument
Male

Loc: One Mile High... Flag
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: WeBeBad]
    #12347143 - 04/07/10 07:44 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

WeBeBad said:
Quote:

scienceguy said:
RR:  Far be it from me to dog on the PC, I bought one the day I bought my spores.  It's definitely the most economical way to sterilize shit.  I use an ultraviolet air cleaner on the intake of my indoor grow, and I was just wondering what kind of apparatus would be necessary to properly irradiate a substrate without leaving harmful radiation behind.  I'm not sure if it would work with organic material quite like that, depending on the kind of radiation.  I'm thinking anything powerful enough to penetrate bulk substrate will probably leave harmful residuals.  I'm not sure, I need to do some more research.

You're getting UV light confused with ionizing radiation.  UV light is not the same as alpha particles, beta particles, neutrons, or gamma rays and won't leave behind any "residues".

No, I'm not.  I brought up UV, but in the post quoted did state "irradiated."  This does not rule out or specify which frequency of radiation, but I can assure you that visible light and radio waves and UV are identical to the gamma radiation they use to sterilize other stuff, just a different frequency.  They're all electromagnetic waves, bud.  As they increase with frequency, they increase in danger.

What I was curious about is what kind of radiation would be necessary to sterilize bulk substrate, and whether it would be weak enough (like UV) to not leave traces, or so strong (like gamma), that it might inhibit mushroom growth, or be a danger to humans.  Most of what I've found suggests that radiation might not encumber mycelial growth and fruiting, and that some species actually thrive on it.

http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/677

--------------------
"Freedom starts between the ears."

Edward Abbey

Offlinescienceguy
Instrument
Male

Loc: One Mile High... Flag
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12347166 - 04/07/10 07:53 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

What if you took two lids, each with a small hole in it, and placed both of them on the jar, with the holes offset from each other? 

Mason jars explode at less than 10 psi.

So the only problem with the oven tek is the container?  It's all so clear now what must be done...

EE, all you gotta do is build or come up with a container that has a GE port, injection port, and can safely withstand and regulate itself at 15psi for hours in the oven, all without losing too much moisture or grenading.  Then make it cheaper than a pressure cooker.  Do this, and we'll all be converts.  :wink:

--------------------
"Freedom starts between the ears."

Edward Abbey

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: scienceguy]
    #12347193 - 04/07/10 08:08 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Lol, the oven seems to be a dead end in my mind.  Steam sterilization is way more promising, at least if you're trying to sterilize grains without a pc.  Anti-bacterial soak is an option that can increase your odds as well.  If you want to sterilize huge numbers of jars at once, the oven does seem like the best option, but it's hard to work out all the kinks, at least to the point that it can be considered a reliable method.  I guess you could always just take a big turkey pan and put a few inches of water on the bottom and set the oven to 212*F, that way you have the best of both worlds.  Maybe something to keep in mind if this project ends up in the crapper.

I don't want to jump to conclusions though, there's still a chance that this can turn out for the best.  Sorry for the thread jack E.E.

OfflineWeBeBad
Theoretischer Chemiker
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: scienceguy]
    #12348113 - 04/07/10 11:45 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

scienceguy said:

No, I'm not.  I brought up UV, but in the post quoted did state "irradiated."  This does not rule out or specify which frequency of radiation, but I can assure you that visible light and radio waves and UV are identical to the gamma radiation they use to sterilize other stuff, just a different frequency.  They're all electromagnetic waves, bud.  As they increase with frequency, they increase in danger.

My bad, I misinterpreted "residues" as being secondary nuclear decay.  This is a very misleading word to use because the dangers of high energy light disappear when the source is removed, thus they don't produce a residual radiation. 

And yes, I'm quite aware that UV and gamma are both photons of different energies, I merely included it for the fact that gamma radiation is one of the extremes of the light spectrum, and thus has incredible penetrating power and energy in comparison to UV.  So yes, although it may be not be completely correct to consider it the same as other forms of radioactive decay like alpha and beta in that it is not a high energy nuclear particle, it nonetheless is a byproduct only of nuclear interactions and poses a significantly hazardous threat to organic tissue (especially in comparison to UV).  Considering we were talking about rye grains which are organic material, and I thought you were implying radioactive residue, I felt it appropriate to include.  Sue me.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: kurshiukas]
    #12348193 - 04/07/10 12:02 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

This thread helped me save a couple spawn bags last night.  I was prepping some rye berries for a new oyster culture that UPS is supposed to deliver today.  I did something really boneheaded and the rye was way too wet when I sealed my vented bags. 

I put the very wet rye bags in the oven at 250F for 2 hours.  They puffed up, but not to any extreme.  The water inside boiled and produced steam.  The steam seems to have gone right out the vent without visible damage to the bag.

Afterward, I did the normal PC and the bags came out great hydration-wise.  This would probably work with vented jars too.

This is something I have not done before, so it could have created other variables in the growth cycle that I am unaware of so far.

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #12348205 - 04/07/10 12:04 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Interesting, definitely keep us updated.

OfflineAn Errant Egret
Writer
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth, for now.
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: libertaire]
    #12566824 - 05/15/10 10:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, my life went NUTS in early April.  Wife and I had an argument.  Police were called.  FRANTIC destruction occurred.  It was a complete shitfeista, and I just narrowly avoided certain death by the skin of my teeth.  Cops and dogs walked the entire block and alley for a week stopping to sniff and check EVERYTHING.

As a result, I'm back down to being on the completely straight and narrow.  At this point in my life I can't afford to risk it (7 years down, only months to go...) and being on the precipice of certain obliteration put that into perspective.  So everything is gone.  I'm so sorry that I couldn't bring this to fruition for you guys and give hardcore picture evidence, but it works... try it!  I'm certain you have $30 sitting around somewhere (from not smoking for a week) and can spare it for science.  Or just wait I guess. 

I will keep this thread updated.

--------------------
Ph. D. in particle physics, organic chemistry, molecular biology. Interdisciplinary minors in economics, psychology, infrastructure logistics. Over a dozen published works, two Nobel nominations, and accolades from twenty-seven world leaders.

So please, tell me in detail about the jack I don't know about shit that I might be privileged enough to glean a morsel of knowledge from your immense experience.

Edited by An Errant Egret (05/15/10 10:57 AM)

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: An Errant Egret]
    #12566916 - 05/15/10 11:26 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Pimp slap that bitch!

Offlineoh_you_know
lsd <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oh, USA
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: badman]
    #12575849 - 05/16/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:minigun:  :methisgood:

--------------------
My Journal

Offlineskifreemt
Stranger
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: libertaire]
    #17225636 - 11/15/12 06:11 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

My first grow I didn't really have an idea of what i was doing. I didn't have a pressure cooker, and i didn't want to take large amounts of time to boil jars. My substrate was a mix of teff and vermiculite, so to sterilize, I filled a large pan (like the kind you cook a big turkey in) half way up with water, and tossed my 12 half pints in. I put it in the oven at 400 for 80 minutes. The water in the pan bowled around the jars, and I let them cool over night. Incubated them the next day, and I've got 0 contamination with awesome quick growth.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: skifreemt]
    #17225644 - 11/15/12 06:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

skifreemt said:
My first grow I didn't really have an idea of what i was doing. I didn't have a pressure cooker, and i didn't want to take large amounts of time to boil jars. My substrate was a mix of teff and vermiculite, so to sterilize, I filled a large pan (like the kind you cook a big turkey in) half way up with water, and tossed my 12 half pints in. I put it in the oven at 400 for 80 minutes. The water in the pan bowled around the jars, and I let them cool over night. Incubated them the next day, and I've got 0 contamination with awesome quick growth.

For now...

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: skifreemt]
    #17225710 - 11/15/12 06:30 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

skifreemt said:

is that first grow over? if so, any fruit?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: PussyFart]
    #17238111 - 11/17/12 10:35 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

skifreemt said:

For now...

For now? Why would it change. I'd cover the pan with a lid or tin foil to steam the top half of the jars better but this is just how oven sterilization should work.

Its not for whole grains, but for the PF tek, put them in a pan with an inch of water and cover with foil. Its just like boiling them on the stove top. I'd turn it down to 250 or so once the water started boiling. No need for 400 the whole time.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: scatmanrav]
    #17238880 - 11/18/12 02:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

Notahacker420 said:

For now...

For now? Why would it change.

Because contams take time to show themselves sometimes...if they fully colonize I retract my previous statement.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Egret's Oven Sterilized TC Grow [Re: An Errant Egret]
    #17239315 - 11/18/12 02:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
I see no point in resurrecting a 2 year old failed thread full of bad info.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate