Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjcontra
myc0file
Dishwasher Sterilization Technique
    #1230309 - 01/19/03 05:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, it's been almost 2 years since I've been on the forum, and grown some mushies, but I'm back, and with an interesting technique i'd like to talk about.

I was just upstairs steaming some jars for my latest attempt in growing some fine Equadorians i bought off of Ryche Hawk, when I looked over at my dishwasher and thought "hmmmmm!!! My dishes sure get damn hot and steamy when they're in the power dry cycle, I wonder if you can sterilize some substrate in there??"
It sounds crazy until you think about how the dishwasher is constructed and designed to work.
During the power dry cycle on my washer, it traps all the steam in there from the wash cycle, and is constructed to be air tight with a latch-style lock on it.
This seems like the ideal place to sterilize something, considering that the dishwasher is probably pretty sterile already if you wash your dishes in there and then eat off of them afterwards.

My only question is, do you think it gets HOT enough in the dishwasher to effectivally sterilize the substrate properly?

Any comments, suggestions, or success stories are greatly appreciated.
Please refrain from any flames, i'm not a noob, i have grown many successful bulk grows in the past, and the only reason i'm thinking about the dishwasher is because it can hold ALOT of jars, or containers full of substrate at one time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: Dishwasher Sterilization Technique [Re: djcontra]
    #1230316 - 01/19/03 05:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting idea i wonder if anyones done it, might not get hot enuf thou

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1230322 - 01/19/03 05:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Lol, I'm gonna put my money on no. I doubt it gets hot enough. Even if it does I doubt that temperature will be sustained for any lengthy time period. The dishwasher is fine for sterilizing jars after they've been used. Other than that, no.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #1230323 - 01/19/03 05:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think it isn't hot enough, but it's a very creative idea I must say!
I thought the temp dishwashers isn't more than 90*C so I think it isn't hot enough, at lest for rye. maybe it's good for growing with BRF?

Offlineajg2425
farmer

#1230364 - 01/19/03 06:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

put a bowl of macaroni in there and see if its cooked when the washers done, if its eatible, id say u can sterilize in it

--------------------
http://www.erowid.org

OfflineKrayzie
PsychotropicEuphoria

Loc: Garden of Weeden
Re: Dishwasher Sterilization Technique [Re: stefan]
    #1230373 - 01/19/03 06:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I tried this with ok success. For the most part it DOES get hot enough to kill a lot of different contaminants. (Hence PF's steam sterilization tek ) However, some bacteriums out there require over nomal boiling temperatures
(210 Degrees F). So although you can sterilize this way you don't get 100% Success rates. This WILL NOT work for  rye subs though...works ok with BRF but anything else will most likely end up with a jar that no matter what you do to it, it will always smell just as funky as a fat man's drawers. :crazy: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation