Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Brain Death & Sense of Time
    #1229987 - 01/18/03 08:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

jdm posted this:
"One thing that might happen before you die is that your brain turns that one last millisecond into an eternity. Your sense of time completely stops. It could turn into a dream state, what you think the afterlife would be or maybe another reailty, or what you percieve to be reality. "

At least some of us have pondered this concept before...
But I'll restate it: what WOULD it be like if we lost our sense of time (global sensory loss is assumed)?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: Sclorch]
    #1230365 - 01/19/03 04:11 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Time becomes a moment and the moment is forever.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Anonymous

#1230374 - 01/19/03 04:20 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting concept.

I am assuming you are referring to the complete abolition rather than merely a substitution.

In earlier days time was marked season to season, sunrise to sunset.

Enter Descartes.

After that man adopted a mechanistic point of view of time which has plagued us to this day. The universe and the answers to its mysteries cannot be framed within such a tiny paradigmatic schema.

Without any concept of time it would be impossible to exist as we know existence. Other than that the question seems to me to be a nonsensical one. Anyone can string together a group of words and put a question mark after it. But that does not automatically mean that it makes sense or has any rational answer.

Cheers

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1230376 - 01/19/03 04:22 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Everyone here knows that our concept of time is bullshit, anyway. It would be interesting to count the hours (hehe) that I stared at a clock while tripping, wondering what this stuff is all about. Digital clocks are the most weird. You try to make sense of the symbols displayed in one second, and then, CLICK, it changes before you can examine it closely enough. The switch from 59 seconds to 00 seconds, especially, is mind blowing. You wouldn't expect that, would you?

"What is time, but a variety of one thing?" - A. O. Spare

"Time is what the clock tells." - A. Einstein

Edited by Nomad (01/19/03 04:23 AM)

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1230384 - 01/19/03 04:34 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've often wondered if our "sense" of time is actually our sense of spatiality.Since we exist in a time /space universe and we are more closely able to relate to the concept of space(material,measurable,directly experienced)than time(experienced subjectively,measured arbitrarily,intangible).So my premise is that our subjective experience of time is actually the awareness of the in-flux nature of time/space rather than the perception of only a portion of the wholeness of time/space or the sensory separation of time and space.IMO our sense of space is directly tied to our sense of time removing one would of necessity remove the other.In the abscence of the perception of time and space there is only consciousness with no point of reference.I believe users of strong dissassociatives experience moments of this state of timeless/spacelessness but the drug effects alter the experience from a true separation of the perception of time. I believe there have been patients with selective brain damage who's experiences have been documented.things such as the loss of all short term memory will severely alter ones sensation of time and I think there are other examples of selective brain damage affecting timesense.Again another thought provoking post Sclorch :wink: Hat's off to ya :grin: WR   

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: whiterasta]
    #1230864 - 01/19/03 08:50 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've often wondered if our "sense" of time is actually our sense of spatiality.Since we exist in a time /space universe

The "spatial" model of time actually fits nicely with current physical theories and observations. I think this is the correct (or close) way to look at time... If we lived in a multi-dimensional universe and we could only visualize three spatial dimensions, how would we experience the other higher dimensions? ... time?

Does this mean that time has 3 degrees of freedom of movement? It seems to go only in one direction... But that might be like saying that gravity only goes down... and from our limited perspective, we are seeing time being acted on by a higher dimensional "gravitional well."

If we didn't experience time, would it be eternity that we experience? or would we be stuck in a moment? Is there a difference? I guess the last thing you experience in time will become your eternity.

Anonymous

#1230925 - 01/19/03 09:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

But once we're "dead", we cease to be humans; and our perception of time as an unalterable linear process is not what it really is. We only see it this way because of how we are built (ie. our DNA) as humans.

To quote another source, time is "selective and variable". The past, present, and future are actually taking place simultaneously, but this isn't the way we perceive it. To us time "travel" seems impossible, but it is actually a normal thing for other realities. Their is no beginning and end. Everything is happening at once.

Edited by Max Headroom (01/19/03 04:11 PM)

Anonymous

#1230989 - 01/19/03 10:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Something else I forgot to add...

If you take a high dose of DXM, you might be close to what it would feel like if you lost your sense of time, since this is what it seems like. Time becomes so meaningless as to become nearly nonexistent, and events seem to happen at random without due cause. Another thing you lose sense of is this weird thing humans call "temperature".  :confused:  :grin:  Truely an odd experience! 

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: ]
    #1231584 - 01/19/03 03:36 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Mr_Mushrooms: I am assuming you are referring to the complete abolition rather than merely a substitution.

No... it could be temporary.  We might not be able to remember what it feels like in such a state, but that's a tangential issue.

Mr_Mushrooms: Without any concept of time it would be impossible to exist as we know existence. Other than that the question seems to me to be a nonsensical one. Anyone can string together a group of words and put a question mark after it. But that does not automatically mean that it makes sense or has any rational answer.

And you call me a skeptic?  :laugh:

I know this question is ultimately unanswerable (when assuming "the complete abolition), but that doesn't make it nonsensical. 

--------------------

Anonymous

#1231677 - 01/19/03 04:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms: I am assuming you are referring to the complete abolition rather than merely a substitution.

No... it could be temporary.  We might not be able to remember what it feels like in such a state, but that's a tangential issue.

I was referring to something permanent on both counts. What you are saying is what if we lost our sense of time temporarily, no?  Complete abolition as I meant it was that there would be no sense of time instead of a difference sense of time like ringing a bell at the beginning and close of everyday.  You seem to be saying something else.  It is very possible under the influence of psychomimetic drugs to have time distortion or even perhaps time abolition.  I was referring to normal cognitive states.

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms: Without any concept of time it would be impossible to exist as we know existence. Other than that the question seems to me to be a nonsensical one. Anyone can string together a group of words and put a question mark after it. But that does not automatically mean that it makes sense or has any rational answer.

And you call me a skeptic?  :laugh:

I know this question is ultimately unanswerable (when assuming "the complete abolition), but that doesn't make it nonsensical. 

Are you intimating that I am more of a skeptic than you?  That is quite possible. :smile:

To me any question that concerns everyday experience and is unanswerable in terms of everyday experience is a nonsensical question.

Examples:

How big is the mind?
What does the color blue smell like?
Where is eternity?
What does Granite think?
Who is under my Utah?
Can you pass the heavy?
Am I turtle dingle the clam?

Et Cetera, et cetera, and of course, et cetera.  :smile: 

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1231850 - 01/19/03 05:08 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

How big is the mind?

The size of one universe.

What does the color blue smell like?

Like all the other colors.

Where is eternity?

In your mind.

What does Granite think?

"Maybe I should fall down. Where's gravity when you need it?"

Who is under my Utah?

Under Utah is the next question, which is:

Can you pass the heavy?

Yes, but you couldn't handle it.  :wink:

Am I turtle dingle the clam?

Nope. You are Mr Mushrooms. 

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1231877 - 01/19/03 05:16 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, I have thought about this very question a lot. I had my own little theory about this. There's some theory in physics where two things can never fully reach each other. You can cut a distance by half an infinite amount of times and still never reach your destination. Well, applied to the concept of death and time, who says you ever fully reach death. I think maybe as you approach death, your concious time frame comes infinitely close to your moment of death without ever reaching it. You may appear to have died relative to everyone else, but to yourself you may continue to live on indefinitely in some kind of suspended dream state. (i.e. heaven, reincarnation, etc. etc.)
I also heard that there is some kind of unique chemical reaction that occurs in the brain at death, does anyone have any information about this?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: bert]
    #1231923 - 01/19/03 05:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I have long held the same view.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1231964 - 01/19/03 05:40 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Also, this kind of time distortion would probably fit in nicely with the people who claim to have lived an entire live in a lucid dream, or on a ten minutes salvia trip.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1231973 - 01/19/03 05:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

bert: think maybe as you approach death, your concious time frame comes infinitely close to your moment of death without ever reaching it.

Hehe... so, you have an asymptotic view of death?

I also heard that there is some kind of unique chemical reaction that occurs in the brain at death, does anyone have any information about this?

You're probably thinking of the release of DMT (from the pineal gland). However, no one knows if the brain "intends" on releasing this DMT or if it is just a consequence of brain death.
I'm sure a few people will try to bring up Rick Strassman's DMT: The Spirit Molecule as "proof" (of whatever)... but it's more of a survey than anything (I own it and have read it thoroughly- it's interesting, but it's not breakthrough stuff). The truth is that there hasn't been enough research into this subject (DMT release) for there to be a conclusive answer.

Back to the topic...

--------------------

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1232007 - 01/19/03 05:51 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Back to the topic...

Just two more things...

1. Terence McKenna gave DMT to a shaman, trying to introduce him to the tykes. The shaman tripped, came back, and was impressed, but not surprised. "Oh, these are the ancestors." He already knew them.

2. Richard Strassman established (well, sort of) that the human brain releases DMT at the moment of death.

Connect the dots, anyone?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: Nomad]
    #1232012 - 01/19/03 05:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Nomad, that was cool

And Sclorch, nice new avatar; I just noticed it

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

#1232019 - 01/19/03 05:55 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Back to the topic...

Just two more things...

1. Terence McKenna gave DMT to a shaman, trying to introduce him to the tykes. The shaman tripped, came back, and was impressed, but not surprised. "Oh, these are the ancestors." He already knew them.

2. Richard Strassman established (well, sort of) that the human brain releases DMT at the moment of death.

Connect the dots, anyone?

You're getting closer.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#1232032 - 01/19/03 06:00 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so the brain releases DMT during death? This might account for near death experiences when the brain is 'tricked' into thinking the body is dying...I think more research definitely needs to be done. Now all we need is some dying people and some DMT.But anyways, back to the topic...
by the way, sclorch, I guess I do have an asymptotic view of death. Thank you for teaching me a new word.

--------------------

Edited by bert (01/19/03 06:04 PM)

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1232042 - 01/19/03 06:05 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You're getting closer.

I do? I honestly hope we will all be tykes one day. The tykes are so fucking cool, I get tears in my eyes just by reading about them.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#1232048 - 01/19/03 06:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

What's a tyke, and how come Mr. Mushrooms knows we're getting closer?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1232052 - 01/19/03 06:07 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

bert: Ok, so the brain releases DMT during death?

Bert!!! What did I just say?

There is no definitive proof one way or the other.
The brain might release DMT when it dies OR DMT might be released from the dead brain (a side effect of death, if you will).

Don't assume one or the other... there isn't yet an answer!!!

--------------------

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1232077 - 01/19/03 06:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Tykes are a kind of self-dribbling basketball  :laugh:

Copy'n paste Terence McKenna:

"Say this is what we're doing, and then they proceed to sing objects into existence. Amazing objects. Objects that are Faberge Eggs, things made of pearl, and metal, and glass, and gel, and you, when you're shown one of these things, a single one of them, you look at it an you know, without a shadow of a doubt, in the moment of looking at this thing, that if it were right here, right now, this world would go mad. It's like something from another dimension. It's like an artifact from a flying saucer. It's like something falling out of the mind of God - such objects DO not exist in this universe, and yet, you're looking at it. And they're clamoring for your attention. " 'k at this! 'ook at This! Look at THIS!" and they pull these things... and each one, you look into it and it begins to open into this wonder that you must fight. You say "No, don't look at it, look AWAY from it!" because it's so wonderful that it's swamping my objectivity and destroying my ability to function in this space.

Well, then they say "do"...

And the objects that they make have the peculiar ability to themselves generate this linguistic "stuff" which condenses as other objects. So beings are making objects, showing you objects, the objects are turning into beings and making other objects, these beings and objects, they jump into your chest - and then they jump back out. They jump into your body and disappear into your body, and then they jump back out, waving these things, just throwing this stuff in all directions. They are - the word that comes to mind is: they are Zany. It's like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, uh, gone mad. And all of this energy - they are elves. This is what elves are. It's this weird thing, where they love you - or they like you a lot, but you can tell that their sense of humor is Weird."

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1232086 - 01/19/03 06:23 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Why is it that threads are allowed to stray so far off the original topic with tangential (at best) regurgitations?

Fug it.

--------------------

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1232103 - 01/19/03 06:30 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm sorry  :laugh:

So, time. If you would completely lose your sense of time, your a priori concept of time, you would fully realize that there is only now, memories, and expectations. Nothing else, and you would fully understand that your memories are not necessarily how it has been, and that your expectations are not necessarily how it will be, and that all that is real is now. Sounds pretty enlightened to me. Poor old Kant, he never got that. 

Invisiblebert
bodhi

#1232124 - 01/19/03 06:36 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm thinking the next question would have to be...can you conciously experience an infinite amount of time? Or is it only during unconciousness that we fully lose our perception of time? For instance, during my first shroom trip, I took more than 4 grams and I got stuck in 'eternal moments' I guess you could call them. Now, while I was tripping (terrified) I told myself to try and remember what the moment felt like. But now, I can only remember myself reminding me to remember. And I don't think I can remember the moment itself.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1232136 - 01/19/03 06:40 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Not JUST your sense of time... all your senses (no input).

(assuming it can be independent of time and still function in a similar-enough manner)
Would your mind try to "create" a new universe via self-mapping?

--------------------

OfflineNomad
Mad Robot

#1232152 - 01/19/03 06:50 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Like in a sensory deprivation tank? Yes, you would hallucinate like hell. Then you would start talking to dolphins.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1232184 - 01/19/03 07:08 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Doesn't your mind create THIS universe?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
    #1232208 - 01/19/03 07:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alright, I have thought about this very question a lot. I had my own little theory about this. There's some theory in physics where two things can never fully reach each other. You can cut a distance by half an infinite amount of times and still never reach your destination.

This just got me thinking. I was going to try and disprove it but nevermind.. it just got too complex

Anonymous

#1232285 - 01/19/03 08:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Who is under my Utah?

Heheh.

I'LL TELL YOU WHO

HAHAHHA

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1232302 - 01/19/03 08:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

What's a tyke, and how come Mr. Mushrooms knows we're getting closer?

In an older post someone pointed out my avatar was a tyke. So that is what a tyke is, seriously though that is what Terence Mckenna calls the entities people communicate with on DMT.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#1235990 - 01/21/03 06:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Not JUST your sense of time... all your senses (no input).

(assuming it can be independent of time and still function in a similar-enough manner)
Would your mind try to "create" a new universe via self-mapping?

what is a mind without senses? the mind could not create a new universe because the universe created the mind through the senses.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1236258 - 01/21/03 08:55 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

what is a mind without senses? the mind could not create a new universe because the universe created the mind through the senses.

Can a man who has gone blind not still imagine a world of color?

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1236798 - 01/21/03 11:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ooooo very intriguing, Sclorch :smile:

I know a man who has gone blind, and he claims to still remember the colors and how things looked in 3d.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#1236852 - 01/21/03 12:20 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If he has gone blind, yes he will be able to imagine/remember the world of color.

Getting back to the original question:
what WOULD it be like if we lost our sense of time (global sensory loss is assumed)?

I'm sure you know what it's like. Haven't you experienced disassociation from reality?

meditation, drugs, sensory deprivation, near death experiences can all cause at least a partial detachment from the senses. maybe they give a glimpse of what it would be like.

just what is the mind without the senses?
stripped of any way of perceiving the universe, stripped of everything that gives us a sense of identity and individuality, what would be left?

nothing? something?

OfflineFearAndLoathing
Don Juan DelaNooch

Loc: FL
    #1236876 - 01/21/03 12:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well actually their is proof, DMT is found in the pineal gland and is released while you are alive and when you die. And if you had read the book DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman, you would find the answer to your question. You are wrong about "there isn't yet an answer."

--------------------
"A sucessful druggie is a well informed one."

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: FearAndLoathing]
    #1236889 - 01/21/03 12:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

dude Strassman didn't PROVE any of that stuff, its all speculation :smile:

I just finished that book last night.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: Strumpling]
    #1237055 - 01/21/03 01:21 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, man that book you read is it any good? I'm asking because I was planning on ordering it on amazon.co.uk later this week.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Brain Death & Sense of Time [Re: FearAndLoathing]
    #1237696 - 01/21/03 04:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

And if you had read the book...

Which page?
As a heteroabsolutist, I reserve the right to be wrong as well as the right to doubt that I'm not.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order