Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
aquarium heater concerns.
    #1229673 - 01/18/03 05:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well, pressure cooked 12 PF-TEK-style jars, inoculated them with EQ from Sporelab and the waiting officially begins.

One thing noted for our incubator:
We bought a 100 Watt aquarium heater and have it in a large mug of water (with a little h202 thrown in because I'm paranoid) inside the incubating tub (11 gallon plastic thing)- it fits well, although the bottom is touching the bottom of the mug.  It seems to function correctly, except that it will only bring the temperature inside the tub up to about 74 degrees F.  The water temp in the mug actually hits ~100 degrees F, but that does little for my little Ecuadorian babies. (And yes, we had the tub closed for a while to test how well it would work.) This is with the heater turned up to its maximum setting, and set running in the mug/tub for about 30 minutes.

Our temporary solution was to cluster the jars right around the mug - we'll measure the temp again tomorrow on their position to see if it helps, but while (per the Tek for Simple Minds) 70-80 degrees F is supposed to be fine, it seems like a waste of time to not raise the temp as much as possible (up to 80 deg, that is).

Um, I had a point...ah yes.
Any ideas what we may be doing wrong - do I just need to let it run longer and the temp will then catch up, does this technique suck (although I have seen it implemented successfully in grow logs here) or should I just go forget I ever thought about growing mushrooms?:confused:

Thanks! 

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: valour]
    #1229696 - 01/18/03 05:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Have you checked any of the incubator teks? They will tell you the solution to your problem.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #1229700 - 01/18/03 05:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

IMO, the heater in the jar thing doesn't work worth beans, do the tub-in-tub method  and be amazed like me :laugh:

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #1229702 - 01/18/03 05:36 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

BONG!!

--------------------
Blaze

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#1229735 - 01/18/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

That's kinda what I was afraid of - we bought the clip-on kind of heater, which isn't fully submersible, and didn't have time/patience/money to find a fully submersible one.  But now that the ball is rolling, I suppose we'll find a slightly larger tub and a fully submersible one to do the tub-in-tub version.

Unless someone persuades me this version kicks ass and this Loop Theorist guy has no clue :wink: 

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #1229747 - 01/18/03 05:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I might not know shit, but the tub ib tub method is demonstrated on Anno's web site, fungi fun, and he might be the most bad-ass cultivator on the planet...  so it really donesn't matter what I think or know... the tub in tub metod works well, Anno says so... period.

-Loop

PS: I did it alot of doifferent ways before I tried it... it really does work awsome :wink:

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

#1229751 - 01/18/03 05:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Fair enough.  Back to Wal-mart I go tomorrow
:grin: 

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

#1229761 - 01/18/03 05:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If you don't have patience enough to get the right heater for the job, something tells me that you might have a few other issues with patience in the very near future.

--------------------
Blaze

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1229762 - 01/18/03 05:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just return the heater and tell them you want a fully submersible one....get a 150 watt or 200 watt heater.

Wal-mart has a great return policy.

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: blazenaz]
    #1229780 - 01/18/03 06:10 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Er, no, we've been quite patient and detail oriented with everything, and are anticipating having to wait a very long time (in some sense) for final results, but we couldn't find  any submersible heaters in our area at all - I went to dozens of pet stores and discount stores.  Most didn't even have them at all or were out of stock and were unhelpful in any attempts to order more. Then when I saw some grow logs and descriptions involving containers with heaters inside of the incubator, it just made sense. 

But your assumption is appreciated!  :tongue: 

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

#1229808 - 01/18/03 06:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

you went to dozes of stores and couldn't find a submersible heater...that's crazy. Almost every pet store I've been to has them. Must suck to live in your town.. :tongue:
Don't take me wrong but this hobby is all about researching the best methods and following through. I am sure you can make your heater in the cup work...just get a bigger cup :grin: Good luck

--------------------
Blaze

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: blazenaz]
    #1229833 - 01/18/03 06:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The ongoing joke, much like when we had a helluva time finding jars, is that there must be tons of people doing shrooms this winter. :wink:

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineWestCoastBuc
Enthusiast

#1229959 - 01/18/03 08:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I went to 3 walmarts and NO JARS jesus where are the JARS

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #1230032 - 01/18/03 09:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

betweeen 75-85f is perfect i have 8 jars in a plastic rubermaid box with a heating pad (for sore bodys) and a towel
simple as that my spores or from sporelab.com to but they are tapalpa psilocybe cubenis (from mexico)

anway temp gauge says that its 80f so I am happy
I hear the jars are a couple of degrees hoter than outside the jars , which makes sense so I dont have to worry

and whenit comes time to fruit I dont even need a heater (love having the hottest room in the house)

--------------------

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1230044 - 01/18/03 09:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I was at walmart yesterday and the only kind of heaters they had where submursable, picked up a nice Humidity/Temp gauge thats digital and has memory of high and low and such for 14$ as well as a humidifier cause i wanna give that a shot anyway out

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Re: aquarium heater concerns. [Re: WestCoastBuc]
    #1230859 - 01/19/03 08:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

We got ours from Kroger, the downside being that they're those diamond-patterned jelly jars (will be harder to look closely at growth/contams).

Er, I know I saw some places in the FAQ to order them online.

I'd call around everywhere - Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Target, Walmart, K-mart, craft stores, etc. -- ask for canning jars.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale