Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in psychedelic history (03/26) * 2
    #12276873 - 03/26/10 01:15 PM (9 years, 29 days ago)

• 1967: Be-In at Central Park in New York takes place

Quote:

Mar 26, 1967 
10,000 people attend a be-in in New York's central park. 

(http://www.erowid.org)

• 1970:  The film Woodstock is released

Quote:

Woodstock is a 1970 American documentary of the watershed counterculture Woodstock Festival that took place in August 1969 at Bethel in New York. Entertainment Weekly called this film the benchmark of concert movies and one of the most entertaining documentaries ever made.

The film was directed by Michael Wadleigh. Seven editors are credited, including Thelma Schoonmaker, Martin Scorsese, and Wadleigh. Woodstock was a great commercial and critical success. It received the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. Thelma Schoonmaker was nominated for the Academy Award for Film Editing, which is a quite rare distinction for a documentary film. Dan Wallin and L. A. Johnson were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Sound.[4][5] The film was screened at the 1970 Cannes Film Festival, but wasn't entered into the main competition.

The 1970 theatrical release of the film ran 184 minutes. A director's cut spanning 225 minutes was released in 1994. Both cuts take liberties with the timeline of the festival. However, the opening and closing acts are the same in the film as in real life; Richie Havens opens the show and Jimi Hendrix closes it.

Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock was also released separately on DVD and Blu-ray.

In 1996, Woodstock was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". An expanded 40th Anniversary Edition of Woodstock, released on June 9, 2009 in Blu-ray and DVD formats, features additional performances not before seen in the film, and also includes lengthened versions of existing performances featuring Creedence Clearwater Revival and others.

Artists

Artists by appearance

No. Group / Singers Title

1.* Crosby, Stills & Nash "Long Time Gone"
2.* Canned Heat "Going Up the Country"
3.* Crosby, Stills & Nash "Wooden Ships"
4. Richie Havens "Handsome Johnny"
5. "Freedom" / "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child"
6. Canned Heat "A Change Is Gonna Come" **
7. Joan Baez "Joe Hill"
8. "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"
9. The Who "We're Not Gonna Take It" / "See Me, Feel Me"
10. "Summertime Blues"
11. Sha-Na-Na "At the Hop"
12. Joe Cocker and the Grease Band "With a Little Help from My Friends"
13. Audience "Crowd Rain Chant"
14. Country Joe and the Fish "Rock and Soul Music"
15. Arlo Guthrie "Coming Into Los Angeles"
16. Crosby, Stills & Nash "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
17. Ten Years After "I'm Going Home"
18. Jefferson Airplane "Saturday Afternoon" / "Won't You Try" **
19. "Uncle Sam's Blues" **
20. John Sebastian "Younger Generation"
21. Country Joe McDonald "FISH Cheer / Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-to-Die-Rag"
22. Santana "Soul Sacrifice"
23. Sly and the Family Stone "Dance to the Music" / "I Want to Take You Higher"
24. Janis Joplin "Work Me, Lord" **
25. Jimi Hendrix "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" (credited as "Voodoo Chile" in the film) **
26. "The Star-Spangled Banner"
27. "Purple Haze"
28. "Woodstock Improvisation" **
29. "Villanova Junction"
30.* Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young "Woodstock" / "Find the Cost of Freedom" **

* studio recording from an album by the artist
** director's cut only, not in the original theatrical release
Artists omitted

Sweetwater
    Incredible String Band
    Bert Sommer
    Tim Hardin
    Ravi Shankar

Melanie
    Quill
    Keef Hartley
    Mountain
    Grateful Dead (a Jerry Garcia interview is included)

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    The Band
    Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Johnny and Edgar Winter
    Paul Butterfield

(wikipedia)

• 1977:  Operation Julie arrest takes place

Quote:

Operation Julie was a UK police investigation into the production of LSD by two drug rings during the mid-1970s. The operation, involving 11 police forces over a two-and-a-half year period, resulted in the break-up of one of the largest LSD manufacturing operations in the world. It culminated in 1977 with enough LSD to make 6.5 million ‘tabs’ (with a street value of £6.5million) being seized, 120 people arrested in the UK and France and over £800,000 discovered in Swiss bank accounts.

Background

The two LSD rings broken by Operation Julie had begun life as one organisation. Its founders were David Solomon, a psychedelic revolutionary and author, and Richard Kemp, a chemist, who first successfully synthesized LSD in 1969.

Unable to effectively distribute the LSD they had made, they turned to Henry Todd to handle sales. At this point the organisation was based in Cambridge. Later Todd enrolled Leaf Fielding as a tabletter, responsible for turning the raw material into accurately measured doses.

In 1973, the producers had a bust-up with the distributors and production ceased for a time. Kemp and Solomon set about trying to organise another distribution network and recommenced LSD production in west-Wales. Todd recruited a chemist, Andy Munro, to synthesise LSD for his distribution network at a laboratory they set up in Hampton Wick, Greater London. There were now two separate functioning organisations.

In 1975, Todd and Fielding changed roles. Todd took over the tabletting, Fielding ran the distribution network, supplying Russell Spencely who in turn supplied Alston Hughes. From Hughes, the LSD was distributed to a number of wholesale dealers in Wales and Birmingham.

In April 1975, Kemp’s red Range Rover was involved in a fatal accident with a car near Machynlleth, a passenger in the other car being killed. Kemp was known to Detective Inspector Dick Lee of the Thames Valley Drug Squad as a possible suspect in the drugs trade and when police searched his car they found six pieces of paper which, after being reconstructed, spelt hydrazine hydrate - a key ingredient in the manufacture of LSD. This crucial lead gave police their first vital clue into the drug ring operating in west Wales.

Operation Julie

The discovery in Kemp’s car prompted the establishment of Britain's first combined drug busting operation led by Dick Lee. On 17 February 1976, a meeting at Brecon involving a number of chief constables and senior drug squad officers formed a multiforce operation. This was the beginning of Operation Julie.

In April 1976, a selection of 28 undercover drug squad officers from 10 police forces were chosen and sent to Devizes in Wiltshire where they were trained to go undercover as hippies in Wales. In May 1976, the undercover police moved into a farmhouse in Bronwydd overlooking Kemp's cottage. Initially, locals took them for birdwatchers but as the undercover operation progressed from weeks into months, female officers were added. The first name of one of these surveillance officers, Police Sergeant Julie Taylor, was used as the operation’s code name.

Surveillance of Kemp noted his regular 50-mile commutes between his home in Tregaron and Plas Llysyn, an old mansion owned by an American friend Paul Joseph Arnaboldi, in Carno near Llanidloes. The mansion was watched by police from an old caravan and people arriving were monitored. Lee instructed police to break into the mansion. In the cellar, police took water samples which chemically matched LSD samples the police had.

Kemp's home was now put under 24 hour surveillance and listening devices were installed.

London connection

In October 1976 a police team based at RAF Hendon monitored a house (first from a van, then from a house overlooking the property) in Seymour Road, Hampton Wick. This was the LSD laboratory run by Todd and Munro. Glass utensils used in this laboratory had been secretly marked by police at the factory that produced them in Yorkshire.

Raids, arrests and trial

On 26 March 1977, after 13 months of surveillance, Operation Julie officers swooped on 87 homes in England and Wales. The gang leaders were caught and a total of 120 suspects were arrested.

At Kemp's home a package containing £11,000 was found as well LSD crystals and tabletting equipment. At Carno, laboratory equipment was dug out of a well. A further raid in the Dordogne region in France located documents that detailed and proved the LSD business had been immense. Details of French and Swiss accounts were found as well as share certificates.

On 1 December 1977, officers searched Kemp's cottage for a second time and dug up a large plastic box that contained 1.3 kg of LSD crystal - enough to create 6.5 million doses.

In 1978, 15 defendants appeared at Bristol Crown Court. It took a month for the prosecution to deliver the incriminating evidence. Kemp pleaded guilty and received 13 years in jail, as did Todd. Fielding and Hughes were sentenced to 8 years. In total, the 15 defendants received a combined 120 years in jail.

As a result of the seizure it was estimated the price of LSD tabs rose from £1 to £5 each, and that Operation Julie had removed 90% of LSD from the British market. It is thought that LSD produced by the two labs had been exported to over 100 countries. In total, 1.1 million tabs and enough LSD crystal to make a further 6.5 million, were discovered and destroyed. The total street value of the LSD would have been £7.6 million.

Cultural references

A three-part television drama, called Operation Julie, was made by Tyne Tees Television and broadcast on ITV in 1985, closely following the events of the case from the police point of view. It was directed by Bob Mahoney.

The song "Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad" by The Clash, from their second album Give 'em Enough Rope, takes its name from Operation Julie.

In December 2010, Welsh actor Matthew Rhys bought the film rights to the book, Operation Julie: The World's Greatest LSD Bust, by Lyn Ebenezer.

In July 2011, Leaf Fielding’s To Live Outside the Law, will give the first insider account of Operation Julie.

(wikipedia)

Edited by Learyfan (03/25/17 11:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #14185608 - 03/26/11 06:23 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Curtis Knight feat. Jimi Hendrix - Happy Birthday

Edited by Learyfan (03/26/12 04:42 AM)

Offlinedesant
Pleiadian Revolutionary
Male

Loc: Aether
Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #14185634 - 03/26/11 06:40 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

"10 police forces were chosen and sent to Devizes in Wiltshire where they were trained to go undercover as hippies in Wales. "

:rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: desant]
    #14186458 - 03/26/11 11:52 AM (8 years, 29 days ago)

Yeah, it sickens me.  Watch the Operation Julie documentary that I posted above though.  And here's some more info in Richard Kemp and Christine Bott........

Quote:

One of the most interesting sections of the book details Stark’s involvement with the “acid gang” responsible for the production of most of the UK’s LSD during the 1970’s. “Operation Julie” eventually brought the gang down, but the story behind this operation is interesting in its own right. Of all of the characters in Black’s book, only the “Julie” chemists Richard Kemp and Christine Bott are as intriguing as Stark: Kemp, once described as a “one in a million brainiac” by a fellow prison inmate, was a Cambridge-educated chemist and left-wing radical who hoped that LSD would inspire societal revolution. Kemp and Bott believed “...industrial society will collapse when the oil runs out and that the answer is to change people’s mindsets using acid. They believe LSD can help people to see that a return to a natural society based on self-sufficiency is the only way to save themselves.” Kemp was also responsible for a dramatic breakthrough in LSD manufacture, which was responsible for the “Julie” acid being the cleanest and strongest ever seen on a large scale in the UK.

(http://w3.cultdeadcow.com/)

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: desant] * 1
    #15997471 - 03/26/12 04:45 AM (7 years, 28 days ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#18012726 - 03/26/13 06:06 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Here's an interesting bit about Richard Kemp, who was the ring leader of Operation Julie.  He was influenced by Francis Crick. 

Quote:

It was Crick's presence in Solomon's social circle that attracted a brilliant young biochemist, Richard Kemp, who soon became a convert to the attractions of both cannabis and LSD. Kemp was recruited to the THC project in 1968, but soon afterwards devised the world's first foolproof method of producing cheap, pure LSD. Solomon and Kemp went into business, manufacturing 'acid' in a succession of rented houses before setting up their laboratory in a cottage on a hillside near Tregaron, Carmarthenshire, in 1973. It is estimated that Kemp manufactured drugs worth £2.5 million — an astonishing amount in the Seventies — before police stormed the building in 1977 and seized enough pure LSD and its constituent chemicals to make two million LSD 'tabs'.

The arrest and conviction of Solomon, Kemp and a string of co-conspirators dominated the headlines for months. I was covering the case as a reporter at the time and it was then that I met Kemp's close friend, Garrod Harker, whose home had been raided by police but who had not been arrested. Harker told me that Kemp and his girlfriend Christine Bott by then in jail were hippie idealists who were completely uninterested in the money they were making.

They gave away thousands to pet causes such as the Glastonbury pop festival and Release.

"They have a philosophy," Harker told me at the time. "They believe industrial society will collapse when the oil runs out and that the answer is to change people's mindsets using acid. They believe LSD can help people to see that a return to a natural society based on self-sufficiency is the only way to save themselves.

"Dick Kemp told me he met Francis Crick at Cambridge. Crick had told him that some Cambridge academics used LSD in tiny amounts as a thinking tool, to liberate them from preconceptions and let their genius wander freely to new ideas. Crick told him he had perceived the double-helix shape while on LSD.

"It was clear that Dick Kemp was highly impressed and probably bowled over by what Crick had told him. He told me that if a man like Crick, who had gone to the heart of human existence, had used LSD, then it was worth using. Crick was certainly Dick Kemp's inspiration."

Shortly afterwards I visited Crick at his home, Golden Helix, in Cambridge. He listened with rapt, amused attention to what I told him about the role of LSD in his Nobel Prize-winning discovery. He gave no intimation of surprise. When I had finished, he said: "Print a word of it and I'll sue."

(http://www.serendipity.li/dmt/crick_lsd.htm)

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (03/26/13 06:21 AM)

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #19748885 - 03/26/14 05:44 AM (5 years, 28 days ago)

Here's a little clip of a movie that was made called Operation Julie, obviously based on this true story.  I'd love to be able to see it.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#21458905 - 03/26/15 05:36 AM (4 years, 28 days ago)

45th anniversary of the Woodstock movie today.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#23047743 - 03/26/16 10:56 AM (3 years, 27 days ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male

Loc: Samsara
    #23047863 - 03/26/16 11:38 AM (3 years, 27 days ago)

Damn.  I didn't realize they left Mountain, the Dead, CCR, The Band, and Blood Sweat & Tears out of the film.  I used to dig them all.  I always liked Mississippi Queen by Mountain.

Thanks again, Leary Fan for keeping these "Today in Psychedelic History" threads alive.  I watch for them all the time.

Much love,

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#24194876 - 03/26/17 02:18 PM (2 years, 27 days ago)

50th anniversary of that Central Park Be-In.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#25091172 - 03/26/18 05:38 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

Offlinefeevers
Wanderer

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: Learyfan] * 3
    #25091310 - 03/26/18 07:41 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Cops celebrating a bust on sellers of a harmless chemical by getting high on a far more dangerous chemical(booze).

Classy and rational as always.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/26) [Re: feevers]
    #25897351 - 03/26/19 05:39 AM (27 days, 16 hours ago)

I know.  The hypocrisy is disgusting.

--------------------

Offlinefuckitxo
Medicine Man

#25897355 - 03/26/19 05:41 AM (27 days, 16 hours ago)

:cheers:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience